VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #4,696 of 7,982
That's something I've never heard. I have a fuze which is supposed to have the same specs as the clip, and I've read they have more power then just about any dap. Where can I find more info about Cowon players? I went on a pretty thorough search one day for info on which dap has the highest power output and nowhere did I find info about Cowons outperforming the clip or fuze. For the record my fuze powers my ER4S as well as the leckerton uha6s mkii to my ears, which is the main reason I find your claim surprising.

I think the Clip+ puts out around 17-18mW per channel into a 16ohm load. Where as the Cowons are around 29mW + 29mW. (into 16ohms) close or around double the power. Clip+ is baby in power output compared to something like Hifiman or Colorfly CK4. it's power output is rather average but great for it's size. That's why people are fond of Cowon due their respectable amounts of power. I think the Cowon D2 put out a much higher spec than 29mW. Personally though there's much better sounding players then Cowon.

Specs are in the listing for the C2.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COWON-C2-TOUCH-MP3-BUNDLE-PMP-4COLOR-w-CASE-FILM-16G-16GB-/320764431892?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaf0cce14&_uhb=1#ht_8261wt_1178

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #4,697 of 7,982
If you read this post here by dfkt, it all becomes rather confusing what can be driven from certain DAP's. Not only the impedance comes into play but also the sensitivity of the IEM headphone being used. So it goes beyond just outpower and impedance. Some times there's strange synergy that can work either positively or negatively. In the end I just trust my ears. :smile:

.http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showpost.php?p=597294&postcount=10

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #4,698 of 7,982
Quote:
I think the Clip+ puts out around 17-18mW per channel into a 16ohm load. Where as the Cowons are around 29mW + 29mW. (into 16ohms) close or around double the power. Clip+ is baby in power output compared to something like Hifiman or Colorfly CK4. it's power output is rather average but great for it's size. That's why people are fond of Cowon due their respectable amounts of power. I think the Cowon D2 put out a much higher spec than 29mW. Personally though there's much better sounding players then Cowon.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COWON-C2-TOUCH-MP3-BUNDLE-PMP-4COLOR-w-CASE-FILM-16G-16GB-/320764431892?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaf0cce14&_uhb=1#ht_8261wt_1178

Would you mind elaborating? 

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #4,699 of 7,982
For what it's worth, the uha-6 on low gain does not give you more power (0db gain). Instead it gives you a cleaner better measuring signal.

The uha6s at about 40% volume equals the fuze at about 90% volume. Are you saying this phenomenon is unrelated to the power supplied by each device?

Interesting thanks for the info. Is the fuze the same as the clip then? There's a lot of conflicting info out there. I don't remember finding solid specs on the clip/fuze. I do remember the FR on the colorfly ck4 and hifimans was not linear though. The c3 looked good.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #4,700 of 7,982
@~ MattTCG

Well I can only suggest what I've heard personally. Colorfly C3 or CK4+ < (amped) both leave the Cowons behind, well any Cowon I've tried (C2, S9, D2+) however C3 has less power than a Clip+ yet drives my 60ohm MDR-V6. So? So you have two players that will leave a Cowon in the dust, amp those players using CK4+ direct line out jack and the performance increases yet again.

You can read my take on the Colorfly C3 and CK4+ here. Both are very good SQ players but not without a few problems.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638415/colorfly-c3-vs-colorfly-ck4-comparison-true-portable-hifi-sound

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #4,701 of 7,982
If you want higher volumes, then yeah you'll need to turn your player up a bit.

Dude, my point was that I'm already at 90%+ volume and figure I'm already pushing the player too hard. Your suggestion is to turn it up further??? I'm simply asking if others have the same issue, and trying to decide if I should just move to a more sensitive IEM, in spite of my initial affection for the Vsonic.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #4,702 of 7,982
The uha6s at about 40% volume equals the fuze at about 90% volume. Are you saying this phenomenon is unrelated to the power supplied by each device?
Interesting thanks for the info. Is the fuze the same as the clip then? There's a lot of conflicting info out there. I don't remember finding solid specs on the clip/fuze. I do remember the FR on the colorfly ck4 and hifimans was not linear though. The c3 looked good.

I think they're the same power output between CLip+ and Fuze (don't quote me on that though)

The CK4's headphone out is kind of flawed, I do not recommend it because of the steep low end roll-off starting at 200Hz, If anyone was to buy CK4+ I can only recommend it from the line jack then you lose the bass-roll off, the signature levels out and it's one nice sounding player. The headphone out on CK4+ is also rather mid centric and 'Im not a fan really. Amp it however and it's one fine sounding player. This amp is achieving very good results for me right now. C3 however measures flat.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Good sources are very important guy's, You'd be amazed at the differences I find across say three sources and one IEM.

Cheers!

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #4,703 of 7,982
^^ I'm going to try out the e07 shortly and will let you know if it drives the gr07 well with good clarity and dynamics. Of course I'll be using the ipod paired with the e07 and not the clip. I have no problem giving up the clip if the vsonic sounds much better from the e07/ipod. The clip was only about $25, so major loss there. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #4,704 of 7,982
Quote:
Dude, my point was that I'm already at 90%+ volume and figure I'm already pushing the player too hard. Your suggestion is to turn it up further??? I'm simply asking if others have the same issue, and trying to decide if I should just move to a more sensitive IEM, in spite of my initial affection for the Vsonic.

There's no such thing as pushing the player too hard. It would be a different story if you hacked the firmware to double the volume output. In that case I'd be more worried about your hearing than the player.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #4,706 of 7,982
Question for you GR07 peeps. I got these this week and, so far, really like them. Sound great and getting better as I get more and more burn-in hours on them. However, the seem pretty inefficient to me and require me to crank my Clip Zip and/or Galaxy S3 near max output levels just to get to a solid but non-ear-shattering listening volume.This is a concern because amps typically are not at their best when pushed to thei limits. Upon investigation, I did discover that the GR07's do indeed have low sensitivity rating of 105db, which would explain why I'm having to crank my source volume so high. For comparison, SM3's are rated at 122db, a whopping 17db difference in sensitivity. So the question is, do any of you experience this same issue? Are you cranking your source to 90% or more to get to good listening levels? I read a lot about these IEMs before buying and never heard this complaint. Am I alone?

My pair got louder after 50-60 hours burn in and now they are realy efficient, I rarely listen higher than 80% on my iPhone and 50 % on laptop. 105 db is not bad, just fine

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #4,707 of 7,982
I've got mine cooking now. I'll listen to them every 12 hours or so and see if they've changed at all. I figure 50 hours will be enough for me and then I just plan to listen and not mess around with the break in anymore. Just let it happen naturally. 

Because all of my experience is with full sized hp's, I find myself wanted to compare the gr07 to a pair of full sized cans. The closest that I've come up with so far for comparative sound signature is interestingly the hd650. Just an observation. 

Looks like that I got in the game too late as this thread seems to be inactive now. Oh well, there is lots of material to read through. 
size]

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #4,708 of 7,982
Quote:
I've got mine cooking now. I'll listen to them every 12 hours or so and see if they've changed at all. I figure 50 hours will be enough for me and then I just plan to listen and not mess around with the break in anymore. Just let it happen naturally. 

Because all of my experience is with full sized hp's, I find myself wanted to compare the gr07 to a pair of full sized cans. The closest that I've come up with so far for comparative sound signature is interestingly the hd650. Just an observation. 

Looks like that I got in the game too late as this thread seems to be inactive now. Oh well, there is lots of material to read through. 
size]

Even VSONIC now recommends 100 hours of burn-in for them, but hold any judgment about them until they pass the 200 hours mark. BTW, which version did you get? The newer MK2 or the previous version, like mine?

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #4,709 of 7,982
Most of the "deals" out there were for the MKII. I picked mine up for $150 shipped which I thought was a pretty good deal. Got to my door in three deals from CA to GA!! I never have luck like that with shipping. I couldn't be happier. I know that the sound signature is "evolving" but I can tell that they are very good and will fall well within the type of signature that I enjoy. 

I appreciate that the bass is just as present as the ie80 but just not as loose. It reminds me of going from my d2k to my he400 on the change in the bass. The fit is supreme. I haven't even changed the angle of the nozzle or even the stock tips!! Amazing. I already enjoy these more than the ie80 at less than half the cost.

No wonder this thread is so long. 
size]

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4,710 of 7,982
Quote:

size]

The older MKI(-2?) comes closer to the (darker) HD650 sound than the MKII I believe most who've heard both will agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back