VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
May 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #3,241 of 7,982
Haven't checked back until now and haven't read the posts since that time. Despite some rough comments received, I would like to thank those who offered possible reasons for my poor experience. I had gotten a return number and packed them up when I thought more on everyone's comments. So I pulled them out last night and started over trying to get a better seal to my ear canals. It took a lot of experimenting and a seal was finally obtained, but only by having a small foam tip and using my fingers to hold the back part of the IEM'S with just the right pressure and angle. Don't know if my particular ear "geometry" is difficult to match up, but I as yet can't release my fingers from the GR07's and not lose the optimum seal.

So I need your advice. Has anyone had a custom mold made for this or other VSonics before? If so, do you think this is best way to go ? That is, would this eliminate the effect of difficult shape, angles, and sizes of inner and outer ears? If so, I'd appreciate recommendations of specifically a company that would do a good job of this..

Another thought. There's this blog about making some crude silicone plugs DIY style and imbedding the IEM'S. http://www.howtogeek.com/57481/how-to-make-custom-silicone-ear-molds-for-your-in-ear-monitors/. I know, it doesn't sound like a good long term solution, but before committing a good bit of cash to custom molds, I thought I'd try it. If they get a good seal even when I'm working out (the real intended use I have for them), then I'd immediately opt for permanent custom molds. Your thoughts?

Now, as far as my impressions with "just right" seal. I liked them a whole lot. The sound stage was enormously wide and quite deep. Instruments and vocals were well placed and true to the recording compared to my system, which is Audio Aero CD player with triode outputs, ARC ref 5 preamp, ARC classic 120 monoblocks and Spendor A9 speakers. This is just to give perspective to my own preference of sonic character or sound signature as they say. So far I would also say that on some source material the overall balance was very, very good if a little bright in the upper frequencies. But the brightness is subjective, and i must add that it did not create any negative impression of the overall performance Bass was very solid , tight, and extended for something this small. How does that work, anyway? Lastly, and obviously I need to listen more as they continue breaking in, it seems they reveal imperfections in the recording rather strongly. Particularly on female vocals that there was a bit of a harsh edge in some recordings and particularly streaming Internet radio. Made my ears cringe a little and I wouldn't want to listen for long to those. But on most material of good quality the sound was open, detailed, natural timber without any hint of harsh edge. Last, on some recordings there's still breakup occurring in strong bass passages, such as bass guitar in "The Well" by Jennifer Warnes. I was able to calm it down by turning volume down to little lower level, but it wasn't that high to begin with. Again adjusting pressure on the IEM'S seem to also affect the volume at which bass distortion occurred. Perhaps some here have this experience or ideas on cause?

Appreciate any slack you could cut an IEM newby, relatively :wink:. Especially would appreciate ideas about custom molds for the GR07's.

May 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #3,242 of 7,982
Quote:

I'm glad you're finally enjoying your purchase.

As far as custom molds go, there hasn't been a professional company that has confirmed a product that will match the GR07's nozzle size.

If you want to ensure the best seal, try these out:
http://hifiman.us/Products/?pid=33

They were my favorite tips for a while, but they created resonances in my ear. The were the best fit though.

May 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3,243 of 7,982
I'm also glad. Please understand there are a few annoying characters about these forums who are intent on antagonising, so please don't take any previous responses to heart....it's just a defense.

About the fit, try playing with the nozzle angle, I did on both the GR06 & 7. I personally find a shallower fit with a larger tip works best for me. I purchased mine from a member here with Phonak tips and they work great. Seriously, have a play around eventually you will find your sweet spot.....and love these things as we do.

May 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #3,244 of 7,982
Quote:

Slightly off topic, but I've had the Cowon J3 for a week and a half now, and I've tried every variation of setting I could come up with (with the GR07s), and just when I think I"ve got it sounding great, I'll switch over and play the same selection on my Sansa Fuze, and the difference is like night and day.  The Cowon sounds flat and analytical (by comparaison); the Sansa sound full and musical. I'm tempted to return them before the 30 day window runs out, but I want to love them.   Any suggestions?

80 hz 0 wide, 220 hz 0 wide, 780 hz 0 wide, 3.0 khz 0 wide, 13 khz 0 wide. bbe 10, mach3bass 6 or 10, 3d surround 3, mpe on, stereo enhance 3, and reverb off. happy listening! 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3,245 of 7,982
Quote:
80 hz 0 wide, 220 hz 0 wide, 780 hz 0 wide, 3.0 khz 0 wide, 13 khz 0 wide. bbe 10, mach3bass 6 or 10, 3d surround 3, mpe on, stereo enhance 3, and reverb off. happy listening! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for this.. its kinda dense. I think its nice for couple of genres, i will keep this.
Currently I am using these settings on my J3 with GR07, after researching a lot on various forums, i kinda like these, but i am sure this needs little more work. But try this for once, and let me know.

Fq 80 Hz, Level 6, Normal
Fq 220 Hz, Level 3, Wide
Fq 1.4 KHz, Level 5, Wide
Fq 3.0 KHz, Lvel 5, Wide
Fq 11.7 Khz, Level 9, Wide

BBE 7, Mach3Bass 7, 3D 1, MP Enhance off

Stereo Enhance 3, Reverb OFF

Metallica's black album with 320Kb sound sounds almost perfect.

Suggestions welcome guys.

May 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #3,247 of 7,982
@audiofan4life
Wow, that is crazy how much difference the seal made for you. It doesn't change the characteristics of the sound much for me. Anyway, you hear them very very very close to how I hear them. Glad you figured it out, just like the others are. The bass distorting that way based on how they are aligned worries me though. I don't have any suggestions that the others haven't made but I'd still want a replacement pair if I heard that happen, not to scare you or anything. The only time I've heard the bass strain is under some movie scenes with explosions.

May 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #3,248 of 7,982
Yeah, as far as the bass distortion, it did not happen when I switched to the Sennheiser IEM on the same song. But just now I played the VSonic through Audinst HUD mx-1 and did not have the bass break-up occur. Don't know if there could be a problem with pairing with the Audio Engine N22 which is primarily a speaker amp. I should be receiving the Matrix M-line amp soon, and of course will see if this problem goes away with it as well

May 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #3,249 of 7,982
A head-fi'er I really respected posted long ago that he suspected the engineers used a low output drive unit to help the GR07 achieve it's sound. I don't know if this makes any sense, as my sound science background is quite limited, but maybe the drivers can't handle the output from a speaker amp? Anyone, feel free to debunk my, likely terrible, guess.

May 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #3,250 of 7,982
Quote:
I'm not sure there's anyone who posted in this thread who hasn't. Use the ear guides. If you've always been using straight down IEM's, it's an adjustment.

I actually am using the ear guides lol :p The cable memory is pointing the plastic ear guide away from my head on my right ear (bad) and pointing the ear guide towards my head on my left ear (good)...

I've tried putting the headphones on the table with something on top of them to hold the to "bend" the wires in a more desirable position, but they just dont seem to want to stay :frowning2: I think this has partly got to do with the shapes of my ears not holding the cables above my ears properly ..

May 30, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #3,251 of 7,982
I actually am using the ear guides lol :p The cable memory is pointing the plastic ear guide away from my head on my right ear (bad) and pointing the ear guide towards my head on my left ear (good)...

I've tried putting the headphones on the table with something on top of them to hold the to "bend" the wires in a more desirable position, but they just dont seem to want to stay :frowning2: I think this has partly got to do with the shapes of my ears not holding the cables above my ears properly ..

Do you mean the plastic strain relief is pointing outwards? They normally give way, you can glue it back down as it shouldn't twist....this will help a little.

May 30, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #3,252 of 7,982
Quote:

Slightly off topic, but I've had the Cowon J3 for a week and a half now, and I've tried every variation of setting I could come up with (with the GR07s), and just when I think I"ve got it sounding great, I'll switch over and play the same selection on my Sansa Fuze, and the difference is like night and day.  The Cowon sounds flat and analytical (by comparaison); the Sansa sound full and musical. I'm tempted to return them before the 30 day window runs out, but I want to love them.   Any suggestions?

I was reading this thread because GRO7 are on my hit list next and.......

I have a Cowon s9, you're not alone. What you described is exactly what happens to me. (Yamaha EPH-100 / TF10 / Monster Turbine) any IEM.... flat, unmusical, loss of separation, thin and lack of sound stage compared to my Clip+, we're talking about a $30 vs $300 player here. No matter what settings I use with the Cowon I have to knock up almost every enhancement to get anything decent out of it, and still doesn't compare to the Clip+ I found a solution which has made a difference, I now use my Fiio E11 paired with it.... Cowon set at 32 volume (no volume cap) and things have improved. The soundstage has come back and separation is present again.

I thought when I bought this Cowon I would be in audiophile heaven, instead it leaves me staring back at the Clip+, whatever IEM used. The E11 has helped greatly, even if  be - getting what's lost back into the music. For the $150 I paid for a Cowon S9 32GB version I feel let down a little. 

May 30, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #3,253 of 7,982
I have to warn to rest of the GR07 fans out there to be careful with the plug. The strain relief is too hard so it's not really a strain relief at all. Mine actually broke and the ground in the cable were damaged. I had to get mine reterminated, and my GR07 now has a neutrik plug. 

May 30, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #3,254 of 7,982
Guys, thanks for these .... I'll try them tonight and report back!
`
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Thanks for this.. its kinda dense. I think its nice for couple of genres, i will keep this.
Currently I am using these settings on my J3 with GR07, after researching a lot on various forums, i kinda like these, but i am sure this needs little more work. But try this for once, and let me know.

Fq 80 Hz, Level 6, Normal
Fq 220 Hz, Level 3, Wide
Fq 1.4 KHz, Level 5, Wide
Fq 3.0 KHz, Lvel 5, Wide
Fq 11.7 Khz, Level 9, Wide

BBE 7, Mach3Bass 7, 3D 1, MP Enhance off

Stereo Enhance 3, Reverb OFF

Metallica's black album with 320Kb sound sounds almost perfect.

Suggestions welcome guys.

May 30, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #3,255 of 7,982
Quote:
I was reading this thread because GRO7 are on my hit list next and.......

I have a Cowon s9, you're not alone. What you described is exactly what happens to me. (Yamaha EPH-100 / TF10 / Monster Turbine) any IEM.... flat, unmusical, loss of separation, thin and lack of sound stage compared to my Clip+, we're talking about a $30 vs $300 player here. No matter what settings I use with the Cowon I have to knock up almost every enhancement to get anything decent out of it, and still doesn't compare to the Clip+ I found a solution which has made a difference, I now use my Fiio E11 paired with it.... Cowon set at 32 volume (no volume cap) and things have improved. The soundstage has come back and separation is present again.

I thought when I bought this Cowon I would be in audiophile heaven, instead it leaves me staring back at the Clip+, whatever IEM used. The E11 has helped greatly, even if  be - getting what's lost back into the music. For the $150 I paid for a Cowon S9 32GB version I feel let down a little. 

Oh, and thanks for this ... I have a JDS Labs cmoybb I can try the J3 with.  I have an Fiio E17 on order but don't know if it will make it on time.  Will experiment tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back