VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
May 31, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #3,271 of 7,982
I think Comply T400s fit on these, though they're not officially listed on their website as being compatible.

May 31, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #3,273 of 7,982
Hmmm they were pretty tight on mine...maybe I'm thinking of the wrong model number...

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #3,274 of 7,982
As a follow-up regarding my woes with seal problem using their assortment of foam tips, I have solved the problem I had.  I probably have unusual outer ear and ear canal geometry and I know for sure that my two ears are quite different in this regard.  And of course I now know that when I finally got a good seal, it was like Jekyl and Hyde difference with these phones. I also found that pairing of DAC and amp has quite an effect in smoothing out the bright treble, such that they now have a very realistic presentation over the entire audible range, imho.

Here's what I had to do to get a good seal.  I would have preferred getting custom molds made, but was advised here that there isn't a source for this as yet.  So I made my own, and if you have gotten a good seal, this will be of no interest.  But if you have to press your fingers against the GR07 case to force the best tip to seal well, as I did, and thus open up the soundstage as well as hear the whole frequency spectrum, you may want to consider it.  I tweaked the technique found here: http://www.howtogeek.com/57481/how-to-make-custom-silicone-ear-molds-for-your-in-ear-monitors/  Just pressing the phone into the mold after you've applied it to the ear leaves the problem of cutting the hardened mold to create the pathway to the ear canal.  Instead, I first fashioned a tube leading from the nozzle of the GR07 to the opening of the ear canal, using shrink insulation found in home improvement centers in the electrical aisle.  Then after mixing the silicone putty for one ear, I used about 1/3 of it to first wrap around the tube.  Next, the tube/GR07 is carefully eased into place with the tube just into the ear canal.  The putty is pressed in around it until you feel and hear it seal properly.  Last, push the rest of the putty around the GR07 into the nooks and crannies of the outer ear and smooth it as beat you can, all the while holding it in place.  A friend doing this is almost essential, btw.  Allow it to set at least ten minutes.   Gently twist and SLOWLY pull it from the ear and allow anther two hours to cure completely.  You will likely have to pry any putty out of the very end of the tip, but this is easily done.  Also you may have to cut around the end of the tube if you find that the sound is muffled because the tip rests against the side of the ear canal.  

This finished mold is not pretty in the least, but works well for me.  To wear it at the gym, I may use a pair of over ear phones to hide these ugly things.  
wink.gif

If anyone wants to try this, I've got some pictures that may help.

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #3,275 of 7,982
Hey guys,

Just recently purchased the GR07 from lendmeurears, have to say, very impressed for the fast international postage to Australia.

However I'm not a fan of the over-the-ear design, does anyone know if any other IEMs are available that sound like the GR07s that are similar in design to the typical sennheiser CX300s? Also maybe just a tad bassier?

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #3,276 of 7,982
Quote:
Hey guys,

Just recently purchased the GR07 from lendmeurears, have to say, very impressed for the fast international postage to Australia.

However I'm not a fan of the over-the-ear design, does anyone know if any other IEMs are available that sound like the GR07s that are similar in design to the typical sennheiser CX300s? Also maybe just a tad bassier?

Possibly Yamaha EPH-100. 

Let me find the thread... (lots of comparsions to GRO7 in there)

Lots of happy people. 
cool.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100

I'm in Australia, if you want to sell your GRO7 I may take them off your hands.

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #3,278 of 7,982
Quote:
Ahah, nah I think i'll keep them :p Definitely the best IEMs I've heard, although I haven't heard that many. 

Do you know how the GR01's sound in comparison to the GR07? http://lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=141

In one of the threads on this forum, most prefer the GR07s, however I think I prefer the design of the GR01. 

Probably best I direct you to the holy grail for that question.

Scroll down down down to Tier 2A ($150-250) Section.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-240-iems-compared-spiral-ear-se-3-way-reference-added-06-03-12

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #3,279 of 7,982
Another customer from Australia with high regards for lendmeurears.

Bought GR07 in June 2011 after reading rave reviews on this thread.
11 months of fantastic listening sessions & the right sided phone decided to give in early last month.
frown.gif

Emailed lendmeurears who got beack to me within 2 days & tells me to send it in with receipt.
3 weeks later, I get fully functional ear phone again.
No excuses or BS, just exceptional service which we rarely get from Aussie retailers.

Would definitely buy again from lendmeurears!
gs1000.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #3,280 of 7,982
The better the file and dap, the better these things perform. I've been playing some MFSL albums through a J3 lately, and the GR07s sound even better. These are truly incredible iems - destined to be a classic, like a '67 Mustang or sth like that. I continue to be impressed after several months of ownership - I was so sure that I'd be bored with them by now...I also have a pair of 1964 Quads that I can get a good seal with (though uncomfortable) and the VSonics sound better to me. Perhaps I should bite my tongue until I get them reshelled, but I figured that since I do get a good seal, they aren't going to sound significantly different after a reshell (correct me if I'm wrong).

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #3,284 of 7,982
I was asking because the strain reliefs are the biggest weaknesses of the GR07. They're too hard so the wire could break if they're bent around the strain relief in the y-splitter and the plug (already happened to me - got it replaced with a neutrik plug). Removable cables would solve this problem, at least in my opinion.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #3,285 of 7,982
Quote:
I was asking because the strain reliefs are the biggest weaknesses of the GR07. They're too hard so the wire could break if they're bent around the strain relief in the y-splitter and the plug (already happened to me - got it replaced with a neutrik plug). Removable cables would solve this problem, at least in my opinion.

I completely agree here. Besides, who knows what a better cable could do with the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back