VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
May 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #3,256 of 7,982
how much of a problem is sibilance on these guys? i seem to find a lot of complaints but on the other hand some that say they hardly notice it.

also anyone know if there are comply foam tips that we can buy that fits these guys?

May 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #3,257 of 7,982
Quote:
how much of a problem is sibilance on these guys? i seem to find a lot of complaints but on the other hand some that say they hardly notice it.

also anyone know if there are comply foam tips that we can buy that fits these guys?

burn in for about 200 hours and it will reduce it, there will still be sibilance, but it really isn't that bad. Still an amazing IEM

May 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #3,258 of 7,982
so not really a deal breaker here?

I've listened to some UEs...im not sure if I had a bad pair or something but the sibilance was so present u could hear it when music isnt playing and u could hear a click from it when changing tracks. It wont be that extreme will it? After burning it in?

May 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #3,259 of 7,982
Quote:

I've listened to some UEs...im not sure if I had a bad pair or something but the sibilance was so present u could hear it when music isnt playing and u could hear a click from it when changing tracks. It wont be that extreme will it? After burning it in?

Oh you mean hiss. No the GR07 doesn't really hiss due to it's 50 ohm impedance. 

May 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #3,260 of 7,982
alrite alrite. Thanks for the info. I feel a lot safer going into this =)

any idea how that problem can be taken care of tho?

May 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #3,261 of 7,982
Try adding a resistor to it, search for stuff like a 75 or whatever is avail ohm adapter, or maybe the eyt p to s adapter, or the flight attenuator from ue.

Might change the sound a bit however. See if you like it.

May 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #3,263 of 7,982
Quote:

That is some insane sibilance :wink:

May 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #3,264 of 7,982
Are there any GRO7 for sale new on ebay at the moment? I can't seem to find any.

Where's the best place to buy them? I'm keen on jumping in. 

EDIT: I found them. Purchased. 
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #3,265 of 7,982
Quote:

Slightly off topic, but I've had the Cowon J3 for a week and a half now, and I've tried every variation of setting I could come up with (with the GR07s), and just when I think I"ve got it sounding great, I'll switch over and play the same selection on my Sansa Fuze, and the difference is like night and day.  The Cowon sounds flat and analytical (by comparaison); the Sansa sound full and musical. I'm tempted to return them before the 30 day window runs out, but I want to love them.   Any suggestions?

Go with your gut. I just got a J3 and the more I use it, the less impressed I am. Not to say it's bad, but the bloom is off the rose, as they say. It does sound very good, but I don't think it's any better than the rockboxed ipod 5.5 i was using, and rockbox is a much better UI with a lot more options for customization of sound. If you like the Sansa, stick with it and save some money. The J3 has great battery life and sounds pretty darn good, but it isn't the end all and be all DAP. I'll try a UCI from Kizune at some point, and maybe I'll like it a bit more...

May 31, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #3,266 of 7,982
Quote:

Thanks for this.. its kinda dense. I think its nice for couple of genres, i will keep this.
Currently I am using these settings on my J3 with GR07, after researching a lot on various forums, i kinda like these, but i am sure this needs little more work. But try this for once, and let me know.

Fq 80 Hz, Level 6, Normal
Fq 220 Hz, Level 3, Wide
Fq 1.4 KHz, Level 5, Wide
Fq 3.0 KHz, Lvel 5, Wide
Fq 11.7 Khz, Level 9, Wide

BBE 7, Mach3Bass 7, 3D 1, MP Enhance off

Stereo Enhance 3, Reverb OFF

Metallica's black album with 320Kb sound sounds almost perfect.

Suggestions welcome guys.

Thanks for everyone's advice.  I tried some of the suggested settings, way too overdone for my music, gr07 SQ (i.e. seal), etc.  I played around and dialed them down to something that sounds pretty good to me :
EQ:
80 Hz Level 2 Normal
220 Hz Level 2 Wide
1.4 kHz Level 5 Wide
3.0 kHz Level 2 Wide
11.7kHz Level 2 Wide  (I guess this is the same as all flat with 1.4kHz at Level 3?)

BBE 5
Mach3Bass 6
3d Surround 1
MP Enhance On

Stereo Enhance 3
Reverb Off

And the music sounds interesting again!  But it sounds so processed.  And still not as effortless as from Sansa or iPod Touch (yes, I've got one of those too).  Doublea71's post put the nail in the coffin for me -- I'm going to send it back while I can.  It's a fun toy, but I think I can put those $$ to better use.

May 31, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #3,267 of 7,982
And the music sounds interesting again!  But it sounds so processed.  And still not as effortless as from Sansa or iPod Touch (yes, I've got one of those too).  Doublea71's post put the nail in the coffin for me -- I'm going to send it back while I can.  It's a fun toy, but I think I can put those $$ to better use.

I feel like I did something sacrilegious by telling you to go with your instincts given the J3's reputation, but it's probably the smart move for you. If its sound doesn't do it for you, nobody can blame you for sticking with what you know. I'll keep mine because of the battery life, storage capacity, and size...if only somebody would rockbox the J3...that would kick ass.

May 31, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #3,268 of 7,982
So with this nail in the coffin, this shud open a new hunt for searching the best EQ/BBE settings for J3/S9 that goes along with GR07.
Guys... please come up with the settings you use and like with this IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back