VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #7,846 of 7,982
I still don't get you, but we ahould stop with this as it's going nowhere. Just grab a standard gr07 snd a low-imoedance verion and any mid-level phone coz of course flagships have higher voltage and tell me which is harder to drive at the exact same volume settings.

There is a reason for this low-impedance verion and that's because people complained they can't drive the gr07 with their phones. That's why vsonic made it. It was initially supposed to be called gr07 Cool and aimed at students who listen music on their phones because the voltage proveded was barely enough fomayber listenabable SPL, but you should contact vsonic and tell them that you kniw better than their engineers with tmyears of experience.

Yeah, an iphone can drive a standard gr07 but grab a cheap phone and it can't. You can also grab a beyerdynamic dt770 pro both the 80 ohm and the 250 ohm versions and try to convince yourseld or anyone else the 250 ohm verion is easier to drive. Grab a 100ohm impedance adapter and add it to the gr07 to make it 150ohm and tell me which is easier to drive.

As far as the liw-impedance version - Vsonic's CEO confirmed it's the same driver just lower impedance, and it's obviously in the same housing

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #7,848 of 7,982
And what made you think the low-impedance cable doesn't come with a lower resistance cable that you talk about driver impedance and makw conclusions. For reference etymotic er4p has the exact same drivers as the er4s just - one has 100 ohm impedance, the other has 25

Mar 18, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #7,849 of 7,982
Two people arguing different aspects of a subject. Udi you seem to be saying that if the F.R. develops an issue that means harder to drive but lower impedance versions are less regarded cause making them harder to drive gives a more stable and better measuring F.R. and lowering the impedance brings issues but that is the trade off for being easier to drive(not powered correctly as that is different). Just more volume headroom out of headphone outs F.R. issues be damned.

32ohm Beyers, 32ohm GR07's, ER4P's, etc. exist for a reason. Even Mee put out another cable another cable for the MEE P1 with " updated conductor composition for lower impedance" since there were enough complaints for straight out of phone use.

Gotta stop confusing easier to drive and properly driven.

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #7,850 of 7,982
As I said, the previous-gen GR07C/BE (measured at 43Ω nominal impedance) were already showing slight bass rolloff issues with a 2.1Ω output impedance source (which is definitely on the lower side for phones, i.e. about as good as it gets on average), so reducing this to 32Ω is in no way a good thing.

I gotta call BS on this statement.

As you say, the gr07 has a flat impedance curve (innerfidelity measurement). So, its frequency response cannot change due to interaction with a source's output impedance.
The only effect that significant source output impedance can have with a flat impedance earphone is that the earphone may require more voltage to reach the same level of volume as another source with much less output impedance.

i.e. a flat impedance earphone behaves likes a simple resistor - it's frequency independent.

The source impedance/earphone impedance is a simple voltage divider circuit.

Do the math, don't just spout misinformed opinion.

I said you can't easily lower the impedance without changing the driver (your claim), it is very easy to increase the impedance with cables or adaptors. You are showing a clear lack of understanding on the topic of impedance, which is no issue, but the problem is you are misleading others.

Sidenote 2: simply increasing the impedance via cable adaptors (for a low impedance IEM) is not ideal either, because it sacrifices damping factor (and decreases sound quality) in the process. This is why a higher impedance IEM out of the box is always better for average portable sources.

You've also conveniently not provided any proof of your claim that the "low impedance" version uses an identical driver.
How did they lower the impedance?

Other than putting a resistor in parallel with the driver (v. bad idea), the only other knob to control dynamic driver impedance is to change the windings.
Less windings of the same thickness would lower the impedance, but would also affect the sensitivity (less emotive force available). Does the lower impedance version of the gr07 have less sensitivity?

Or, one could use the same number of windings, but use a less resistive (thicker) winding. This would result in less impedance and potentially equivalent sensitivity, but could also be mechanically problematic.
For example, there may not physically be enough room to accommodate thicker windings.

Higher output impedance is not always better. I would argue it's not better in most cases, as depending on the sensitivity of the earphone, one may need to purchase special equipment (amp) just to enjoy their earphone.
Take the HD6x0 or HD800 series, for example. They sound great, just not out of my iphone se...

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #7,851 of 7,982
Been shopping for my next pair of IEMs for a while. My requirements:
  • Single dynamic driver
  • Sonic upgrade over my current daily driver (KZ ZS5)
Was almost going to get the new Dunu, and then I thought, "why not the tried and true GR07". Hope I made the right choice! :ksc75smile:

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #7,853 of 7,982
I have the vsd5si, which uses the exactly the same new updated cable as the latest gr07 versions with mic and it's been fine so far. You can always get the gr07 version with detachable cable and buy separately mmcx cable with mic

Apr 8, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #7,854 of 7,982
D957270F02904EAB4C0434E9C3C5DBAA.jpgJust got my VS X a few days ago.it has a 80 ohm impendance driver with carbon nanotube diaphram. it is also named as GR09x.
Their CEO once said that VS X is the best earphone vsonic has ever manufactured and is a limited edition.
it had been included in a special bundle in February,with Ares and GR07w. About 150 VS X had been sold in that promotion.
Vsonic still have maybe a few hundreds of VS X inventory and plan to give them away as gift to old fans.

I think it sounds just very similar to GR07x. the difference are that CNT diaphram make it a bit warmer and provided better treble performance.
and it is less detailed and less solid when compared to GR09, so i don't think vsonic did their best actually.

ALL current Vsonic product manufacture will be stopped in a few month(or already stopped) ,since there will be some really big changes in their product line,according to Yu Xiafeng,their CEO,in a official chat group.

Attachments

• D957270F02904EAB4C0434E9C3C5DBAA.jpg
    D957270F02904EAB4C0434E9C3C5DBAA.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 8, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #7,855 of 7,982
You're lucky you're in China. I had to order the ares, vs x, gr07w deal throigh a taobao agent and they messed up and ordered after the deal ended, but reading the opinions on the vs x makes it seem that it sounds like the gr07 anniversary edition with cnt drivers and it looks just like it.

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #7,856 of 7,982
Just grabbed a GR07 Bass Edition (2017) with detachable cables.

I hoping they have a warm signature and upgrade from RE-400. I made my purchasing decision off of what I read.

Apr 11, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #7,857 of 7,982
Perhaps you might buy an IT01 IEM. You get a excellent sound and a very, very nice cable for $100. I'm using the IT01's cable with my GR07BE right now.

Hey, can you compare the two. I need to replace my broken gr07 at $100 price point. While it01 gets a lot of praise, there aren't many comparisons.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #7,860 of 7,982
All this chatter about which headphone is harder to drive and OI changing the FR of the phone makes my head hurt. It has been discussed like many times. Why not refer to those threads. The way I see it, everyone's argument is just a regurgitation from some of the existing discussion. Each has valid points but refuse to see or understand beyond it hence, easily dismiss counter arguments. These topics usually ends up in a loop. I am not going add fuel to the fire. Just want to remind everyone to keep the thread topic relevant. If you really want to continue the argument about technical stuff (always good) do it from the appropriate thread/forum.

All this just to say my GR07 sound as good out from my iPod Classic to Hugo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back