VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #6,361 of 7,982
Phonak tips are narrow bore and it helps to tame the GR07 peaks and make it sound smoother, Like you, I love the sound of the reference sounding Tenore too but the GR07 delivers better transient impact on percussive instruments and it suits certain genres better in my opinion. Oh btw, the Havi B3 Pro 1 sounds pretty damn good straight out of my X3 too.

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #6,362 of 7,982
For me personally, the grainy quality one might hear from the GR07 is basically them accurately reproducing every little bump and nook in the waveform, where as other smoother IEMs almost go over the audio with a sandpaper and minimizing the texture of the sound (which some prefer obviously).

Skies, if you have Terminator 2 available on your computer, play the minigun scene with the GR07 and the original tips. That scene was a bit of a revelation for me. When you've heard that scene with the GR07s, it's almost impossible to not hear how pretty much every other headphone just doesn't get to the same level of unrestrained, faithful reproduction of the snap, crack and kick of each gunshot throughout the register, and it's pretty amazing how tight and unsmeared it can get.

Love the GR07s for gunshots and action films.

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #6,363 of 7,982
I'll second that the phonak tips work well with the 07s (07BE in my case). At least comfort/fit wise. Personally I really don't hear that much of a difference between them and the t-130 comply tips (or any of the other silicones I've tried). BTW also using a X3.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #6,364 of 7,982
Comply tips normally smoothen the highs but unfortunately they also roll off the highs quite a bit for me....however I've not tried the Comply T130 so I can't actually comment on these. One thing for sure is that the Phonak tips definitely last longer than the Comply tips.

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #6,365 of 7,982
I always have issues with foamies, like inconsistent seal between ears, plus they need to be prepared for insertion which is a pita. It's silicon tips for me so i was very glad to find a pair that takes care of treble and isolation.

As for the GR07 treble, it's unfixable imo, you can make the spikes less pronounced but it will always be uneven in loudness and decay, and it also lacks extension compared to the Tenore. Still, bass and mids have a good tonality, which combined with the speed and detail of the GR07 produce a sound that's hard to fault. The KC06 does some things better, but it doesn't sound as natural because tonality is off.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #6,367 of 7,982
My beloved Gr07 Mk l ended up in the washing machine inside my pocket (zipper pocket and they were in the leather carrying case) which I didn't realize until a few days later. The left side I think still works properly (although it does sound a little low) but the right side (while louder) sounds very bright and harsh. Do you guys have any suggestions to what I might try to salvage them or do you think they're gone for good? :frowning2:

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #6,368 of 7,982
  My beloved Gr07 Mk l ended up in the washing machine inside my pocket (zipper pocket and they were in the leather carrying case) which I didn't realize until a few days later. The left side I think still works properly (although it does sound a little low) but the right side (while louder) sounds very bright and harsh. Do you guys have any suggestions to what I might try to salvage them or do you think they're gone for good? :frowning2:

If it's completely dry and it sounds that way, it's probably damaged. Lendmeyurears has a discount right now so you could get a replacement for a very good price. You could also try getting a bulk Vivo XE800 from taobao through some service, it uses the same driver with a slightly different tuning and it can cost as low as 60$ including shipping.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #6,369 of 7,982

If it's completely dry and it sounds that way, it's probably damaged. Lendmeyurears has a discount right now so you could get a replacement for a very good price. You could also try getting a bulk Vivo XE800 from taobao through some service, it uses the same driver with a slightly different tuning and it can cost as low as 60$ including shipping.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I have to try with putting them in a bag of rice and hope for the best. Was also thinking of trying to rinse them with purified water and then letting them dry. But I'm not keeping my hopes up. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #6,370 of 7,982
Recommended listening. This track is produced, mixed and mastered by Andy Sneap, who is a bit of a genius when it comes to metal productions, his mixes are always superb. He has a great sense of tone for the guitars and bass, and in particular his drums are amazing-sounding, tight, well-equalized, and snappy. That snare drum... Not my main preferred genre of metal but this track just has a great energy and the enjoyment of these old guys is just infectious (Bruce Willis on guitar especially...). :)

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #6,371 of 7,982
  Recommended listening. This track is produced, mixed and mastered by Andy Sneap, who is a bit of a genius when it comes to metal productions, his mixes are always superb. He has a great sense of tone for the guitars and bass, and in particular his drums are amazing-sounding, tight, well-equalized, and snappy. That snare drum... Not my main preferred genre of metal but this track just has a great energy and the enjoyment of these old guys is just infectious (Bruce Willis on guitar especially...). :)

Thanks for the recommendation. To return the favor, The Portal of I by Ne Obliviscaris is one of the most well produced metal albums i've listened to in years. You should give it a try since it also happens to be a magnificent piece of music. Youtube compression destroys the sound but you can get a rough idea:

Btw, after some sine sweeps i can state with confidence that the MH1 tips do wonders for the GR07, it's hard to believe how much they change the sound. For starters the 6.5khz peak is no more, it has descended to 5.5khz where it's just a gentle 2-3 db rise in loudness. The 10khz spike is more resilient but it has likewise descended to 9khz and while still audible, it's a lot milder so there is no glare anymore. The treble still rolls off a little earlier than i'd like but the total sonic package has improved immensely. The first couple of days with my new GR07 i was pretty sure i would end up selling it again, now it's all i listen to.

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #6,372 of 7,982
Great recommendation. I've listened a bit to Ne'O and I wholeheartedly agree that their production is awesome. Lovely timbre to drums, the cymbal hits especially, the opening acoustic guitar and the violin. They preserved alot of dynamic range aswell so everything is very open.

Glad you found a way to make them work. I got my 4th pair a few days ago and I need to get more hours on it, but it's currently slightly more low-mid-centric than 2 other brighter pairs I have, while also being brighter than the 4th pair. I can pretty much pick any of them depending on the general frequency response bias I'm after.

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #6,374 of 7,982
How the heck does one retain the bit of info that Bruce Willis is a lefty? I had no idea, never thought about his preferred side for strangling terrorists. :wink:

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #6,375 of 7,982
I've used the Phonak tips exclusively for the past 2 years and are my favorite. If you really want to hear how well they scale, have a BTG Audio recable done to them. They have completely satisfied my search for IEM''s, including ALL of the JH Audio line, SM 3, AKG 3003, et al.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back