VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #6,391 of 7,982
 The right side of my gr07 stopped producing sound yesterday. I had them two years. I dont know what to do now, the other iems i have can't replace them

Mine was flaky on the left. I opened it up and resoldered. Snap back in place and all good again

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #6,392 of 7,982
Are the GR07s just glued shut? If so did you use a heat gun to loosen the glue or some other method?

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #6,393 of 7,982
  Are the GR07s just glued shut? If so did you use a heat gun to loosen the glue or some other method?

Yeah they're just glue. I didn't even use a heat gun. Something like a razor blade or stanley knife easily pries it open

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #6,394 of 7,982
Yeah they're just glue. I didn't even use a heat gun. Something like a razor blade or stanley knife easily pries it open

I used a knife on my Bass Edition. It left ugly ugly scratches and people can easily find out that mine had been tampered with. But then it doesn't really mattered cos I recabled it anyway.

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #6,395 of 7,982
So, I ordered the Bass Edition last week and I love them, but I'm almost finding them a bit too bassy for some stuff so I ordered the blue Classic. I guess I'll test them out and return the ones I like less, since I'm still in my return window. Hoping it'll change a few little things without changing the sound too much.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #6,396 of 7,982
I've found that some Classic Ed. are already fairly bassy and warm, and I think I would agree that the bass ed. might be weighted a bit too much towards the low end in some cases. Some classical music or film soundtracks are very mid-focused, and you generally want slightly more high end presence over bass presence to give a bit more clarity.

If you like the general texture of the GR07 I think you will be pleased.

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #6,397 of 7,982
i opened them and resoldered. no change. Then i reopened and now it's like this

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #6,398 of 7,982
there is a tiny wire coming from the coil that was cut or maybe i cut it when opened. Does anyone know where the coil should be connected
and how to test the unit with multimeter?

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #6,399 of 7,982
i opened them and resoldered. no change. Then i reopened and now it's like this

Sorry mate, the diaphragm seems broken, it's pretty hard to fix... It seems to have been glued on the shell. You should always test if the phone is working before closing it up again and be extra careful where you place the glue. In your case the culprit was probably the cable itself and not the connection.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #6,400 of 7,982
there is a tiny wire coming from the coil that was cut or maybe i cut it when opened. Does anyone know where the coil should be connected
and how to test the unit with multimeter?

looks like the diaphragm and voice coil came apart from the neodymium/rare-earth magnet....

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #6,401 of 7,982
So, I ordered the Bass Edition last week and I love them, but I'm almost finding them a bit too bassy for some stuff so I ordered the blue Classic. I guess I'll test them out and return the ones I like less, since I'm still in my return window. Hoping it'll change a few little things without changing the sound too much.

where did y ou both?lmue/penon or local shop?

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #6,403 of 7,982
Aug 26, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #6,405 of 7,982
Just reading through as I'm about to get a pair of the classic since my original gr07's just died, what is the benefit of recabling?

just a word,marketing/business! But actually two reasons people choose recabling....one being,if the the stock cable bit the dust and second being,some wld think like,upgrading to silver/oyaide/pcocc cables from stock improvize the sound,realising not,but it actually alters the original SS mfr tuned.....Im not debating here but technically there might be some change due to those cable's super conductive properties,but not a day/night difference it brings out,imo...just my 0.02C.....

Btw,you sure that your gr07's cable the culprit not the drivers?its totally dead on both ear pieces?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back