VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #6,346 of 7,982
I see what you mean Snails. I use the small tips that came with the Classics. After a while they just becomes slick enough where they don't really attach to the ear canal.
I guess either a smaller tip to not have the ear canal pushing them out as easily, a larger tip to allow for a sturdier fit, or try 3rd party tips that may have a slightly "rougher" surface and doesn't slide out as easily.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #6,347 of 7,982
airlight would you be able to give "a line" comparison bet GR07CE and S4i? Pls leave behind - fit,isolation,build,accessories related but just sound,SS, etc is fair enough....TY.

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #6,348 of 7,982
Sure. My S4i is about to give up, left earpiece is about 10% of the right in volume.

But generally, The S4i and the GR07 CE aren't terribly different in terms of overall balance.
The GR07 CE to me is a bit flatter, the S4i feels a bit more emphesized in the higher treble, where the GR07 has a bit more body.

However the GR07 has more lively, rippling detail over the entire spectrum, and it is more aggressively textured, it really puts small nuances very in your face, it's extremely effortless to listen to, even in dense action scenes with rumbling and music a small sound of a gun clanking against a surface will snap at you with excellent speed and transparency. Some headphones, when you turn them up in volume, you feel like the diaphragm, as it needs to move longer distances to produce louder sounds, struggles to be as articulate as it might be at lower volumes due to it working against it's own movement (like if you imagine yourself drumming on a snare drum at 5 beats per second. If you lift the drum stick very little you can achieve those 5 beats at a low volume, but if someone asked you to play louder, you'd need to move the stick higher and strike harder for each beat, meaning you may only have time for 4 beats due to having to do more work, and with the faster arm movement you also need more time to actually change the movement direction of your arm as you strike and lift the stick.

The GR07 is more crisp in texture, while the S4i is a bit brighter, but not as crackly and detailed in that sense. The S4i has a pretty good sense of detail though thanks to the brightness, but it's a bit behind the GR07.

Also the treble of the S4i feels a bit "broken" in a sense. You feel almost like some narrow frequency bands in the treble are missing (doing a sine sweep shows that the response is reasonable and continuous though). It feels a bit like there is some "ringing" there, i.e. some treble frequencies seem to be there even when the music/sound doesn't emphesize them.

An overall difference is also that the GR07 is just a more dynamic headphone, gunshots really snap from treble to bass, where as the S4i is quite laid back and the treble has to do most of the work of supplying a sense of detail, and while fairly dynamic and lively, doesn't have the speed and cohesion that the GR07 does, the GR07 feels like it works as a single headphone, where as some parts of the S4is range feel a bit lazy or uninterested.

This is with stock tips for both the GR07 and S4i. Also the S4i is ready for the bin, so I can't really judge the stereo width or how well it conveys reverb or echo or other minute details like that. :)

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #6,350 of 7,982
Sure. My S4i is about to give up, left earpiece is about 10% of the right in volume.

But generally, The S4i and the GR07 CE aren't terribly different in terms of overall balance.
The GR07 CE to me is a bit flatter, the S4i feels a bit more emphesized in the higher treble, where the GR07 has a bit more body.

However the GR07 has more lively, rippling detail over the entire spectrum, and it is more aggressively textured, it really puts small nuances very in your face, it's extremely effortless to listen to, even in dense action scenes with rumbling and music a small sound of a gun clanking against a surface will snap at you with excellent speed and transparency. Some headphones, when you turn them up in volume, you feel like the diaphragm, as it needs to move longer distances to produce louder sounds, struggles to be as articulate as it might be at lower volumes due to it working against it's own movement (like if you imagine yourself drumming on a snare drum at 5 beats per second. If you lift the drum stick very little you can achieve those 5 beats at a low volume, but if someone asked you to play louder, you'd need to move the stick higher and strike harder for each beat, meaning you may only have time for 4 beats due to having to do more work, and with the faster arm movement you also need more time to actually change the movement direction of your arm as you strike and lift the stick.

The GR07 is more crisp in texture, while the S4i is a bit brighter, but not as crackly and detailed in that sense. The S4i has a pretty good sense of detail though thanks to the brightness, but it's a bit behind the GR07.

Also the treble of the S4i feels a bit "broken" in a sense. You feel almost like some narrow frequency bands in the treble are missing (doing a sine sweep shows that the response is reasonable and continuous though). It feels a bit like there is some "ringing" there, i.e. some treble frequencies seem to be there even when the music/sound doesn't emphesize them.

An overall difference is also that the GR07 is just a more dynamic headphone, gunshots really snap from treble to bass, where as the S4i is quite laid back and the treble has to do most of the work of supplying a sense of detail, and while fairly dynamic and lively, doesn't have the speed and cohesion that the GR07 does, the GR07 feels like it works as a single headphone, where as some parts of the S4is range feel a bit lazy or uninterested.

This is with stock tips for both the GR07 and S4i. Also the S4i is ready for the bin, so I can't really judge the stereo width or how well it conveys l reverb or echo or other minute details like that. :)

I actually have s5i rugged which has little advanced micro driver to s4s...and wanted to know how s4 sound comparitively to gr07s...the discount sale @lmue itches my wallet to get the CE(maroon) which comes to $82 after discount from $100 :D aint a best deal? :wink:

Btw,thx for the comparisons,appreciate it....so,I take it this way,like since your s4is almost 90% imbalance,the impressions were mostly based on your memory from your earlier listening sessions......

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #6,351 of 7,982
And yeah,brighter/higher treble is Klipsch's home sound just like horn tweeters (they pioneered) they want to tune that way(iems not sure abt Image line-up of HPs tho).....so same goes to S5i.

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #6,352 of 7,982
Hey. I was listening mainly on my right ear where the earpiece is still functioning. :wink:

Lendmeurears right now is great if you want a GR07 with the discount. I have a silver one ordered aswell. :)

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #6,353 of 7,982
Well, i received my new pair of classics today,it's less sibilant than my old mkii pair out of the box but the treble is still splashy (that was to be expected though). I've also ordered a pair of Vivo XE800 to compare it with the classic. If the reports of smoother treble on the Vivo are accurate the classic will not remain long in my possession :p.  

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #6,354 of 7,982
Well, i received my new pair of classics today,it's less sibilant than my old mkii pair out of the box but the treble is still splashy (that was to be expected though). I've also ordered a pair of Vivo XE800 to compare it with the classic. If the reports of smoother treble on the Vivo are accurate the classic will not remain long in my possession :p.  

:popcorn:

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #6,355 of 7,982
popcorn.gif

Don't start so early with the popcorns, you will get obese by the time i get the XE800s 
wink.gif
. In my experience shipping can take up to a month to get to where i live. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #6,356 of 7,982
Don't start so early with the popcorns, you will get obese by the time i get the XE800s :wink: . In my experience shipping can take up to a month to get to where i live. 

:jecklinsmile: I got used to it for brand like vsonic...so waiting is not new:wink: but yeah to avoid obese let me take diet pop corns. :D

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #6,357 of 7,982
I've had my new pair for a few days now and i am happy to report that i found a way to make the treble behave. Medium-large MH1 tips attenuate the spikes while offering the best isolation i've ever had with these. The treble still has some issues with tone, unevenness and decay but it's not annoying anymore, which means i can listen to the GR07 however loud i want and enjoy their excellent bass and great mids without the usual fatigue.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #6,358 of 7,982
Good to hear, glad you didn't regret the decision. :)

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #6,360 of 7,982
  I've been enjoying my GR07 with my large Phonak tips for some time now....the Phonak tip does wonders to the GR07 
biggrin.gif

I'd tried a lot of different tips with my MKII but the treble was always splashy and sibilant. I don't know how the MH1 tips do it, i didn't expect such a huge difference since the hybrids didn't do anything for the GR07 and they look so similar to these. I might order some phonak tips to check them out as well.

The only issue i have now is that i've gotten used to smoother sounding iems like the Tenore and the KC06, so the GR07 sounds a little grainy by comparison. Still, it's a good choice for when i want to hear something with a lot of texture and dynamics. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back