VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #4,171 of 7,982
Quote:

I feel like I should say that I notice next to no sibilance on my MKII. However, if sibilance is specifically coded within a track, the GR07 won't hide it.

Would you say, then, that while the treble may be pronounced, it isn't abrasive?

Thank you, everyone, for your answers.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #4,172 of 7,982
Quote:
Buyers remorse, bought gr07 half a year ago and now they come out with a mkii and bass edition
biggrin.gif
No way I'm sidegrading to a mkii (though I do love my gr07). Looks like it's gonna be either tg334 or tralucent 1 plus 2, the problem is there aren't many impressions on the difference between those two.

One is mid centric and one is V shaped.  So as not to derail this thread, you can PM me for more detail.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #4,173 of 7,982
Would you say, then, that while the treble may be pronounced, it isn't abrasive?

Your amp and source/dac will also affect the extent of sibilance you will hear from the treble. For example I use my gr07 with my uha-6s mkii and j3 and they sound extraordinary together, but with certain tracks if I turn on certain bbe enhancements on in the eq editor on the j3, the hotness of the treble jumps out like a lion, but if I put if I turn of the bbe stuff then It almost goes away entirely. Make sure get a good amp and source that match the gr07's well. After burn in it really isn't that bad.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #4,174 of 7,982
Quote:

Right, though you have to be aware of the source music you feed it. You don't need FLAC, but just make sure you're not using 128kbps mp3 files

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4,175 of 7,982
Quote:
Your amp and source/dac will also affect the extent of sibilance you will hear from the treble. For example I use my gr07 with my uha-6s mkii and j3 and they sound extraordinary together, but with certain tracks if I turn on certain bbe enhancements on in the eq editor on the j3, the hotness of the treble jumps out like a lion, but if I put if I turn of the bbe stuff then It almost goes away entirely. Make sure get a good amp and source that match the gr07's well. After burn in it really isn't that bad.

See, that's what I'm worried about. My only sources are either an iPod Touch (3rd gen, I believe - curved back, retina display) or my Motorola Droid RAZR. I am really not wanting to purchase an amp, since funds are limited due to college books and tuition. Will the headphone out of the Touch be enough?

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #4,176 of 7,982
Quote:

Right, though you have to be aware of the source music you feed it. You don't need FLAC, but just make sure you're not using 128kbps mp3 files

All my music for portable use is either 256 kbps AAC or 320 kbps MP3. FLAC is reserved for home use through my main setup.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #4,177 of 7,982
See, that's what I'm worried about. My only sources are either an iPod Touch (3rd gen, I believe - curved back, retina display) or my Motorola Droid RAZR. I am really not wanting to purchase an amp, since funds are limited due to college books and tuition. Will the headphone out of the Touch be enough?

I'll tell you this, if you are going to use an ipod touch as a source, don't even think about getting a gr07, even my j3 by itself does not bring the gr07s up to the ability that everyone praises it for. I *strongly* recommend you get a new dap. Do you have funds to buy a portable amp?

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #4,178 of 7,982
Quote:
All my music for portable use is either 256 kbps AAC or 320 kbps MP3. FLAC is reserved for home use through my main setup.

Quote:

That will be more than adequate.

I think the touch shares the same audio chip as my iphone, which works beautifully with the 07. 

As for the J3, I've heard it simply sucks as a source when paired with the GR07. It's not a lack of power. As a matter of fact, the GR07 barely improves when you use an amp. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #4,181 of 7,982
Hmm! Two conflicting opinions!

As for funds to buy a new DAP, absolutely cannot afford it right now. Funds to buy an amp...well, I would much rather save my money and not spend it on an amp, even if it is cheap compared to my desktop variant. I'd say, at most, I'd spend $30. I'm a tightwad -- kind of have to be at this point in my life.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #4,183 of 7,982
Hmm! Two conflicting opinions!

As for funds to buy a new DAP, absolutely cannot afford it right now. Funds to buy an amp...well, I would much rather save my money and not spend it on an amp, even if it is cheap compared to my desktop variant. I'd say, at most, I'd spend $30. I'm a tightwad -- kind of have to be at this point in my life.

I over exaggerated while ago, the gr07 sounds wonderful even straight out of my laptop, what I was saying is that a good amp makes a huge diff. But the gr07 will still sound just fine out of your ipod, just don't expect ground breaking results. :rolleyes:

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #4,184 of 7,982
Quote:
I over exaggerated while ago, the gr07 sounds wonderful even straight out of my laptop, what I was saying is that a good amp makes a huge diff. But the gr07 will still sound just fine out of your ipod, just don't expect ground breaking results.
rolleyes.gif

I don't agree. It's all about the source, and the ipod touch is a very good one.

Many J3 owners have commented on the fact that it doesn't pair well with the 07. One member switch the the C2, and got much better results.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #4,185 of 7,982
Quote:

I don't agree. It's all about the source, and the ipod touch is a very good one.

Many J3 owners have commented on the fact that it doesn't pair well with the 07. One member switch the the C2, and got much better results.

This is pretty interesting to take note of, for when I do decide to buy another player in the distant future (still no players with 128 GB flash memory!). Do other Cowon players share the same lack of synergy between their audio chips and the GR07?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back