VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #4,202 of 7,982
eke2k6, I was all set to pull the trigger on a GR07 to pair with my Cowon J3 when I read your post.  I am now stopped in my tracks.  I tried to find some previous posts regarding the J3/GR07 problem but can't come up with anything.  Could you either elaborate on what you have heard about the problem or perhaps direct me to a couple of the posts so that I can make an informed decision?  Many thanks.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #4,203 of 7,982
eke2k6, I was all set to pull the trigger on a GR07 to pair with my Cowon J3 when I read your post.  I am now stopped in my tracks.  I tried to find some previous posts regarding the J3/GR07 problem but can't come up with anything.  Could you either elaborate on what you have heard about the problem or perhaps direct me to a couple of the posts so that I can make an informed decision?  Many thanks.

H20fidelity and double71 will be able to go into greater detail

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #4,204 of 7,982

What I found was they became thin at higher volumes, bass response lacks, mids and highs would over power the low end cranked up. They don't sound as full and lacked dynamics, it was especially obvious to me with metal and rock tracks. I think double71 mentioned his J3 powers them easily enough though he too was experiencing them thinning out at higher volumes.

My findings were sometime ago, my set were relatively new. At the time I couldn't understand double71 mentioning his didn't feel underpowered from a J3. Now....two months of use later my opinion has also changed. They still thin out at high volumes but Mach3bass set to 4 they're fine up to 33/40.

My opinion should be taken lightly because I've gone from using a player I felt wouldn't work at all with GR07 MK2 to using it fulltime recently. I don't go much past 24/40 for any listening session.

Something has changed, It must be the IEM.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #4,205 of 7,982

tdweis, I've owned and used the j3+gr07 combo for more than half a year and I find them to pair just fine. Then when you get to the eq and bbe enhancements, thats where all the fun begins :jecklinsmile:

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #4,206 of 7,982
Quote:

That will be more than adequate.

I think the touch shares the same audio chip as my iphone, which works beautifully with the 07. 

As for the J3, I've heard it simply sucks as a source when paired with the GR07. It's not a lack of power. As a matter of fact, the GR07 barely improves when you use an amp. 

My GR07/J3 combo sounds fantastic to me, as long as the recording itself is of good quality. YMMV.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #4,207 of 7,982
My GR07/J3 combo sounds fantastic to me, as long as the recording itself is of good quality. YMMV.

Did you ever say though that you were experiencing them thinning out at some point?

I could almost swear I read that somewhere.

I'm still very curious what changes you hear with your Leckerton UHA-6S MKII zachchen1996?

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #4,208 of 7,982
My findings were sometime ago, my set were relatively new. At the time I couldn't understand double71 mentioning his didn't feel underpowered from a J3. Now....two months of use later my opinion has also changed. They still thin out at high volumes but Mach3bass set to 4 they're fine up to 33/40.

At high volumes (+35) and depending on the recording + eq, they can be less than stellar; however, with good recordings (mobile fidelity sound labs a.k.a. MFSL, for instance) they sound terrific. With good recordings, I use the eq presets Wide or Normal. I'm listening to R.E.M.'s Murmur by MFSL, and it's so damn good...I don't often listen to music with the volume above 35, so rarely am I unimpressed by the GR07s. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #4,209 of 7,982
Quote:
Did you ever say though that you were experiencing them thinning out at some point?
I could almost swear I read that somewhere.
I'm still very curious what changes you hear with your Leckerton UHA-6S MKII zachchen1996?

I may have at some point...maybe my brain is more accustomed to them or perhaps they've burned in more - I'm not sure. All I know is they sound damn good with good recordings. I have a bunch of vinyl rips converted to flac and they are stellar - just a touch more warmth as far as I can tell. Hemispheres by Rush is a great vinyl rip of mine...

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #4,210 of 7,982
At high volumes (+35) and depending on the recording + eq, they can be less than stellar; however, with good recordings (mobile fidelity sound labs a.k.a. MFSL, for instance) they sound terrific. With good recordings, I use the eq presets Wide or Normal. I'm listening to R.E.M.'s Murmur by MFSL, and it's so damn good...I don't often listen to music with the volume above 35, so rarely am I unimpressed by the GR07s. 

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. That also reminds me at the time I was desperately seeking LOUDNESS ie. large quantity of volume. So I think we can come to the conclusion that as ling you're not seeking ear shattering volume levels J3 is just fine for GR07 MK2.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #4,211 of 7,982
I may have at some point...maybe my brain is more accustomed to them or perhaps they've burned in more - I'm not sure. All I know is they sound damn good with good recordings. I have a bunch of vinyl rips converted to flac and they are stellar - just a touch more warmth as far as I can tell. Hemispheres by Rush is a great vinyl rip of mine...

Same here, mine sound absolutely fantastic, especially with ripped FLAC and good recordings. Like Steely Dan, Queen, and ambient genres blow me away.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #4,213 of 7,982
What about Britney Spears? =P

Some Britney tracks take your breath away, she doesn't sound thin at all. :wink: GR07 really do her vocals justice. There's a lack of dynamics in some of the explosive sections.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJWtLf4-WWs[/VIDEO]

I only had them in 320kbs, I tracked down all her CD's on ebay and ripped them to FLAC with EAC. :cool:

You guy's honestly don't know what you're missing. :smile:

STRONGER THAN YESTERDAY!!

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #4,215 of 7,982
Quote:

I was one of the members who are against the J3+GR07(1.1) pairing. The dynamics are just dull, and it was easily improved by pairing E17 with the J3. But with the J3 alone? It really sounded dull. I don't use BBE or EQ (I only use EQ for my super crap phones like PX-100 but never BBE), so why'd I choose J3? Battery capacity is a killer! And GUI is nice, and everything else. BBE tends to color the sound than I would want to (I never wanted to color the sound just fix some phones issues like muddy sound or harsh highs and EQ is enough). Nationite N2 pairs well with GR07. And I'm guessing the ipod touch too as users have said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back