VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #4,156 of 7,982
Quote:

The way I'm hearing it, I think there's a touch more bass extension with the MK2, but treble is probably about the same extension-wise, just not quite as hot. However the overall sensation with the increase in soundstage, and the much better midrange, is that of a more dynamic phone for sure.

Edit:
...Or richer, and more spacious sounding I should say.

Sold.  Now I just need the original ear guides...

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #4,157 of 7,982
Any news on the release of the GR08? I plan on selling my 1964 Quads, and I'm either going to get the Heir 4Ai or the GR08 (if they are an improvement over the GR07) as long as it's not too long a wait...The GR07s are my first love and customs just don't suit me, as sexy as they are.

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #4,158 of 7,982
Quote:
Any news on the release of the GR08? I plan on selling my 1964 Quads, and I'm either going to get the Heir 4Ai or the GR08 (if they are an improvement over the GR07) as long as it's not too long a wait...The GR07s are my first love and customs just don't suit me, as sexy as they are.

Check out the Fitear To Go 334's...  Oh man are they amazing sounding.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #4,160 of 7,982
Quote:
Is the sound stage on these better than gr07? Heard these earphones are a bit dark and not too sparkly up top?

Yes, the soundstage is larger, but mainly it's more 3D with better instrument placement and definition within the stage. Gives the feeling of more layering, and dimensionality. Personally I don't find them dark, but I think the GR07's top end is a bit more emphasized. At the same time though the TG!334's are more detailed because of that placement and resolution. To me the treble sounds more natural. I think the GR07's border on splashy in the top end. 

It is a *huge* price gap though!

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #4,161 of 7,982
Yes, the soundstage is larger, but mainly it's more 3D with better instrument placement and definition within the stage. Gives the feeling of more layering, and dimensionality. Personally I don't find them dark, but I think the GR07's top end is a bit more emphasized. At the same time though the TG!334's are more detailed because of that placement and resolution. To me the treble sounds more natural. I think the GR07's border on splashy in the top end. 

It is a *huge* price gap though!

Hmmm, does the 334 perform better than the gr07 in every aspect noticeably? If yes, then it might just be worth it. What I really want to see are comparisons of the 334 with the tralucent 1 plus 2 and Heir Audio 4.Ai, and other *super* iems

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #4,162 of 7,982
I'd say so, except it doesn't quite have that dynamic driver bass slam-- it's close, but a slightly different style of bass. I guess it depends on what you want there. Everywhere else, I would say yes the 334 handily outperforms the GR07. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #4,164 of 7,982
I couldn't justify a leap in price like that. The Heir 4Ai is about as high as I will go for a universal.

^ re: FitEar 334

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #4,166 of 7,982
I'm considering purchasing the GR07, but I have some concerns.

First, they will be my primary portable unit, and as such I do not want to purchase an amp to use along with it. My portable player is an iPod Touch (3rd gen, I believe...the one with the rounded back casing form factor and first retina display). Will the GR07 earphones receive enough power out of the headphone jack of that iPod? If I move on to Cowon or Sony, will the same hold true?

Second, I am a bit susceptible to treble fatigue. I have the Sennheiser HD-650 headphones hooked up to a tube amp and they sound phenomenal for my purposes. The treble isn't too hot but still sounds gorgeous. From what I read about the GR07s, however, is that the treble can be a bit hot at times, and this really worries me. How does the treble compare to that of "darker" cans such as the 650?

Third, how is the fit on the GR07? Does it take 5 minutes to get a good seal, or is it a 'phone that one can place in their ears and immediately forget about it?

With all that said, I am looking at getting either the GR07 or the Yamaha EPH-100. GR07 may be too bright for my ears, and the EPH-100, I've read, may not be natural-sounding enough in the top end. I'm really at a loss here and hope someone can help me out.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #4,167 of 7,982
Quote:

First, they will be my primary portable unit, and as such I do not want to purchase an amp to use along with it. My portable player is an iPod Touch (3rd gen, I believe...the one with the rounded back casing form factor and first retina display). Will the GR07 earphones receive enough power out of the headphone jack of that iPod? If I move on to Cowon or Sony, will the same hold true?

Second, I am a bit susceptible to treble fatigue. I have the Sennheiser HD-650 headphones hooked up to a tube amp and they sound phenomenal for my purposes. The treble isn't too hot but still sounds gorgeous. From what I read about the GR07s, however, is that the treble can be a bit hot at times, and this really worries me. How does the treble compare to that of "darker" cans such as the 650?

Third, how is the fit on the GR07? Does it take 5 minutes to get a good seal, or is it a 'phone that one can place in their ears and immediately forget about it?

With all that said, I am looking at getting either the GR07 or the Yamaha EPH-100. GR07 may be too bright for my ears, and the EPH-100, I've read, may not be natural-sounding enough in the top end. I'm really at a loss here and hope someone can help me out.

I had them both at the same time, and ended up returning the EPH-100.  To my ears, the GR07 sounds more "integrated" across the frequency spectrum.  The EPH-100s had good highs and lows, but they sounded disconnected to me ---- maybe short on the mids?

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #4,168 of 7,982

If you are really sensitive to hot treble, stay away from the gr07, but after several hundred hours of burn in it should settle down quite alot but it will still be there, though much less than out of the box.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #4,169 of 7,982
Quote:
If you are really sensitive to hot treble, stay away from the gr07, but after several hundred hours of burn in it should settle down quite alot but it will still be there, though much less than out of the box.

I feel like I should say that I notice next to no sibilance on my MKII. However, if sibilance is specifically coded within a track, the GR07 won't hide it.

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #4,170 of 7,982
Buyers remorse, bought gr07 half a year ago and now they come out with a mkii and bass edition :D No way I'm sidegrading to a mkii (though I do love my gr07). Looks like it's gonna be either tg334 or tralucent 1 plus 2, the problem is there aren't many impressions on the difference between those two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back