VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #4,126 of 7,982
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they're about the same, seems to have just a small tweak. 

I doubt the claims that the MKII has overall better treble and extension, suspect it's about the same minus the slightly smaller spike, but I think the reduction of the spike will allow one to get a better sense of the higher treble due to better balance. 

On second thought I think your second quote here might explain a perceived a difference between the MKI and MKII. I was going to propose that the MKII has ~2dB increase at 10kHz, but having less of a spike at 6kHz might have a similar effect. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #4,127 of 7,982
There's definitely an increase in the treble quantity, at least to my ears. The spike doesn't sound reduced at all, rather, it seems like they raised the overall treble shelf to the point where the spike isn't as jarring. I believe this is so because of the fact that cymbals sound brighter and more sizzly on the MKII, whereas they don't sound that way on the MKI

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #4,128 of 7,982
Has anyone actually ABed the two together? Honestly as I mention, I'm mostly making educated guesses, wish I could be more definite. 

eke that's a tuning potential I overlooked, that may very well be it instead. The changes will be uniform, you can't reduce or increase the 6k without affecting the other high frequencies, that resonance stays the other high frequencies change at different levels. A certain tuning level  may have found a sweet-spot of adding enough overall treble to make them more uniform and less emphasized on the resonance while adding a bit more treble. 

I don't think Rin would do a tip comparison analysis as the changes aren't big, big opening tips are preferable though. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #4,129 of 7,982
Enjoying my bass editions.
I was surprised to find that they actually sounded good out of the box. Can't seem to notice sibilance.
Using the soft buds really brings out the bass. The other buds seemed to emphasize treble and bass was lacking.
Very balanced, very clear, but I was expecting a wider sound stage. But I've only used it for a couple of hours. Hopefully it widens after burn in.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #4,130 of 7,982
Quote:
I was surprised to find that they actually sounded good out of the box. Can't seem to notice sibilance.
Using the soft buds really brings out the bass. The other buds seemed to emphasize treble and bass was lacking.
Very balanced, very clear, but I was expecting a wider sound stage. But I've only used it for a couple of hours. Hopefully it widens after burn in.

By soft buds, you mean the foam tips, right? About the way you describe their sound, that was really I was expecting from that new GR07 Bass edition, more than being tuned for more bass (which the normal models is already very good) I was wondering if they would just tame down the high-mids and treble, having a somewhat darker sounding GR07 with the bass standing out! And that's great to know... 
smile.gif

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #4,131 of 7,982
Quote:

By soft buds, you mean the foam tips, right? About the way you describe their sound, that was really I was expecting from that new GR07 Bass edition, more than being tuned for more bass (which the normal models is already very good) I was wondering if they would just tame down the high-mids and treble, having a somewhat darker sounding GR07 with the bass standing out! And that's great to know... 
smile.gif

Yup the comply imitations. But after two days of using those tips I feel like I'm not getting as much treble depth. I'm no audiophile so it could just be placebo.
But I'm going back to the non foamed hybrids. I like the treble extension with them and hopefully I get more defined bass as I burn them in.

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #4,133 of 7,982
Quote:
For the first time.... GR07 graphs (MKII), thanks to FlySweep for making it happen. See the link for many details on the analysis, here's my take on the results. 

First off, it looks eerily similar to the EX1000 in it's FR characteristics, perhaps the driver is Sony Licensed afterall. I gotta say, the results sound just like heard the MKI a while back for the most part. Warm with a mild bass boost and some conservation in the highest treble regions, the 6k spike and a 10 spike (which gives it sparkle). I actually suspect the Sony MDR7550 to have a similar treble response to this. 

Compared to the MKI I think the impedance was reduced from the rated 50ohms, to the now resulting 44.5ohms (perhaps because of the better conductivity properties of the new silver cable used). Due to the GR07's impedance characteristic, this reduction in impedance will result in a slight reduction of the offensive 6k spike, though I suspect the difference to be small, perhaps 1db at most. I doubt the claims that the MKII has overall better treble and extension, suspect it's about the same minus the slightly smaller spike, but I think the reduction of the spike will allow one to get a better sense of the higher treble due to better balance. 

EX1000 side-by-side so you can appreciate the similarities

Rin mentions it has the least amount of distortion he's ever tested, perhaps that's due to the bio-cellulose driver....nice. 

Why are there two lines in each graph? What are the pink lines?

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #4,134 of 7,982
as mentioned, gray is the raw graph. The green/pink ones are the practical data as it simulates real perceived use. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #4,135 of 7,982
For the most part my ears agree with the graph. Perhaps my ears are different than others, but I hear more/louder 8kHz from the gr07 than the graph suggests. It shows a dip, whereas I hear a spike. Also, if pink is supposed to show perceived response, then I'd have to say that it's not what I perceive at all. I don't hear that much treble (except for the 6kHz-8kHz region, which I attenuate with EQ) from the gr07. In fact, I accentuate the 2kHz-4kHz region slightly with EQ.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #4,136 of 7,982
Uhh is there a confusion?  pink would sound nice with 2-4k boost and it's not showing that much treble, EX1000 has much more. 

Then again, if you read the blog, it shows a 8k spike as well when a more shallow insertion is done. So you are correct. Try longer tips if you want to tame that. This is why I love Rin's approach, it covers many grounds of measurements. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #4,137 of 7,982
Quote:
Uhh is there a confusion?  pink would sound nice with 2-4k boost and it's not showing that much treble, EX1000 has much more. 

Then again, if you read the blog, it shows a 8k spike as well when a more shallow insertion is done. So you are correct. 

It's not just 6k, it's 6k all the way through 8k, to my ears. With EQ, I fixed this issue by attenuating the 6k band by 6dB, and the 8k band by 12dB. The 8k is very much excessive in the gr07, to my ears. They've already had at least 75 hours of burn-in on them. I'm using stock bi-flange, which doesn't sound very different than stock foams.

I'm using the following link to judge the relative loudness of each frequency: http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

On the same horizontal line I hear 8k about as loud as I hear 1k, which means the gr07 may be producing 8k tone 12dB louder than 1k tone.

Anyways, one thing is for certain, with my current EQ (-6dB at 6k and -12 dB at 8k), the gr07 sounds much more pleasant.

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #4,138 of 7,982
Ok folks. I sent of my MKII to a friend who still owns his original GR07. Here are his initial thoughts:

Today at 3:37 pm

Hey Eke,
I got the package in this afternoon. Thanks for sending the GR07 MK2's.

I just had my first listen with them, and wow, I am blown away at how great they sound. I was doing some back and forth with the TG!334's, and I was thinking 'I don't recall the GR07 being this close to the Fitears'... So I dug out my original pair. The difference is huge up to the new MK2. The big areas I'm hearing right away are so much more fullness in the midrange, substantial gain in soundstage size, and *I think* some better depth in the bass. I don't detect a whole lot of difference in treble just yet, maybe it's a touch less 'hot' while still having the same detail, I dunno. I need to do some more comparisons... but I just can't believe how much better the MK2 version is. My set just sounds more one-dimensional in the stage, and vocals seem thinner and pulled back. I would seriously say the MK2 has halved the gap to the 334's from my orig. set! 

Anyway, more to come, and I will be sure to post the comparisons in the MK2 thread. 

Thanks again for sending. I really want a set to have as a more 'knock-around' IEM when I don't want anything to happen to the 334's. They really are the going deal of the century in the IEM world...

eke2k6
Today at 3:43 pm

I'm glad they got there safely

Whaaat?! Is there that big of a difference?

I was going to post something like that about the 334 vs 07 on their respective threads, but I didn't feel like defending my findings 
rolleyes.gif

Keep me updated

Today at 3:56 pm

Yeah, there is a massive difference between the MK1 & MK2 versions. Huge. I'm listening to your set right now, with a big grin on the face. Hah. I didn't expect to hear a big difference either... just subtleties, but the new set really is a major improvement. 

Where's the best place to order them right now? That ebay seller with them for $156?

Also, for the non-China based head-fi'ers who want to try the bass edition, there's a guy on ebay selling them here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vsonic-GR07-BASS-Flagship-Version-Inner-Ear-Earphones-Black-/271078869315?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3f1d8f4943

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #4,139 of 7,982
Crazy. I would have thought most differences were in the treble. Bass didn't strike me as much changed, but who really knows at this point. Thanks for helping to get to the bottom of this.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #4,140 of 7,982
Quote:
Crazy. I would have thought most differences were in the treble. Bass didn't strike me as much changed, but who really knows at this point. Thanks for helping to get to the bottom of this.

I definitely didn't expect that either. I *think* he may post his own impressions later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back