VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #4,112 of 7,982
For the first time.... GR07 graphs (MKII), thanks to FlySweep for making it happen. See the link for many details on the analysis, here's my take on the results. 

First off, it looks eerily similar to the EX1000 in it's FR characteristics, perhaps the driver is Sony Licensed afterall. I gotta say, the results sound just like heard the MKI a while back for the most part. Warm with a mild bass boost and some conservation in the highest treble regions, the 6k spike and a 10 spike (which gives it sparkle). I actually suspect the Sony MDR7550 to have a similar treble response to this. 

Compared to the MKI I think the impedance was reduced from the rated 50ohms, to the now resulting 44.5ohms (perhaps because of the better conductivity properties of the new silver cable used). Due to the GR07's impedance characteristic, this reduction in impedance will result in a slight reduction of the offensive 6k spike, though I suspect the difference to be small, perhaps 1db at most. I doubt the claims that the MKII has overall better treble and extension, suspect it's about the same minus the slightly smaller spike, but I think the reduction of the spike will allow one to get a better sense of the higher treble due to better balance. 

EX1000 side-by-side so you can appreciate the similarities

Rin mentions it has the least amount of distortion he's ever tested, perhaps that's due to the bio-cellulose driver....nice. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #4,113 of 7,982
Quote:
Compared to the MKI I think the impedance was reduced from the rated 50ohms, to the now resulting 44.5ohms (perhaps because of the better conductivity properties of the new silver cable used). Due to the GR07's impedance characteristic, this reduction in impedance will result in a slight reduction of the offensive 6k spike, though I suspect the difference to be small, perhaps 1db at most. I doubt the claims that the MKII has overall better treble and extension, suspect it's about the same minus the slightly smaller spike, but I think the reduction of the spike will allow one to get a better sense of the higher treble due to better balance. 

Just wanted to point out, if you read the article, that even adding a 100ohm resistor didn't change the frequency response in the slightest!  I doubt dropping a few ohms from 50 to 44.5 would change anything at all.

Whatever the case, this is quite interesting.  I'd actually be interested in seeing the frequency response at a higher volume - to me, the GR07 did not perform very well with the volume turned up too high, there was way too much of a treble spike.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #4,114 of 7,982
Well reducing the impedance is a different matter, I do suspect that difference is still very small though. 

Higher volume levels will especially emphasize that 6k spike due to the ear's sensitivity, so that's to be expected with these. It's the reason why the EX1000 sounds at it's best at moderate volume levels. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #4,115 of 7,982
I doubt the claims that the MKII has overall better treble and extension, suspect it's about the same minus the slightly smaller spike, but I think the reduction of the spike will allow one to get a better sense of the higher treble due to better balance.

This is exactly what I suspected, as well. I sense slightly better balance and (percieved) clarity through the midrange and treble regions.. not necessarily better extension.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #4,118 of 7,982
Quote:
 I doubt the claims that the MKII has overall better treble and extension, suspect it's about the same minus the slightly smaller spike, but I think the reduction of the spike will allow one to get a better sense of the higher treble due to better balance. 

Awesome thanks for the graphs guys! The MKII is supposed to be tuned a bit differently according to the CEO, which he stated during the original release according to putente in the MKII thread. Maybe an MKII graph is in order to confirm.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #4,119 of 7,982
Quote:

Awesome thanks for the graphs guys! The MKII is supposed to be tuned a bit differently according to the CEO, which he stated during the original release according to putente in the MKII thread. Maybe an MKII graph is in order to confirm.

I think this is actually the MKII

Yup, it is.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #4,120 of 7,982
Yup it's an MKII graph, says it in the title, maybe you didn't click the link to udauda's page gnarlsagan ; ). I suspect the MKI is the same except maybe more midbass and a bit more of the 6k spike. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #4,123 of 7,982
Quote:
Yup it's an MKII graph, says it in the title, maybe you didn't click the link to udauda's page gnarlsagan ; ). I suspect the MKI is the same except maybe more midbass and a bit more of the 6k spike. 

Oh okay that's for clearing that up. Phone browsing and too excited for graphs probably...

I'd still be surprised if the MKI and MKII graphed the same in the highs. 

Edit: Also what does inverted polarity refer to, and how does it affect sound? Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #4,124 of 7,982
I wouldn't be surprised if they're about the same, seems to have just a small tweak. 

Inverted polarity isn't an issue as long as both channels are done in the same manner but it assumes a certain lack of intricacy in this aspect of the manufacturing. Then again, even though it's still flaship, it's still a budget item unlike the EX1000. B2 and GR10 also have inverted polarity. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #4,125 of 7,982
GR07 did not perform very well with the volume turned up too high, there was way too much of a treble spike.

Nice one Inks!.

I'm glad you got hold of a pair after mine became attached to my body at all times. :D (I still use them every night)

Regarding volume levels I also feel they perform best at lower to moderate levels. They appear to become thinner and edgy over after certain amount. By all means they still perform well;, it's just they have a true sweet spot at around 18/40 for my Cowon players. But when amping using an E10 they handle things a little more balanced at higher volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back