VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #181 of 7,982
Can we get some Sony EX600/EX1000 comparisons? I read somewhere that the Sony's were better to someone's ears, but I can't remember where I saw that at. I love the EX600. Anyone have had experience with both?

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #182 of 7,982
Here is my view on jamesfonda question : 

Unamped RE0 would bring about 40% of GR07's (unamped) performance. 

Amped RE0 -> 70%  (GR07 offers deeper bass and wider soundstage )

Amped RE0  (wadding mod + comply foam)  -> 88 %

(bass less extended but heavier kicking, midrange and treble more liquid-neutral overall on RE0, but still, these can't match GR07's soundstage ) . 

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #183 of 7,982
I has taken R-07 from a friend for some days.
I didn't understand them for the first couple of minutes, but later i became shocked.
They were great on his Tascam portable recorder, but not on my iPod Touch.
So i was trying to understand them and i did it:)
Soundstage is really big deep and wide very beautiful. Sound is little thin but very good. They are very natural and neutral.
Bass quality is very good but not too punchy for electronic music and hip-hop. Mids are great and detailed. Treble is not very good. Great vocals.
If you rise up your volume level you will have better bass response it is good for electronic music and all sound will come more forward.
They are really great for hard rock, hard core and metal music.
I don't know a lot of earphones which can make such things (Shure 535, Triple Fi, Monsters, Pro Monsters).
They are fantastic even without amp.
I like this sound.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #184 of 7,982

Quote:
Can we get some Sony EX600/EX1000 comparisons? I read somewhere that the Sony's were better to someone's ears, but I can't remember where I saw that at. I love the EX600. Anyone have had experience with both?

I have the EX1000 and the GR07.

The EX1000 is sonically superior than the GR07, though leans slightly brighter than the GR07. However, I like to think the GR07 as the EX1000's little bro. Doesn't do all the EX1000's strengths as well (though does it moderately well) and doesn't do any of EX1000's flaw (isolation) as badly either.

When I am swapping between these two, I sometimes feel like if it is a trade for better isolation and comfort for a slightly smaller soundstage (but still very good), less punchy-ness, less clarity and a worse timbre.

Again, the GR07 does all those REALLY WELL (especially considering its price), however, the EX1000 just does them better (for a x3.5 cost, isolation, and comfort).

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #185 of 7,982

Quote:

Perhaps not a fair impression and comparison as the EX1000 I tried was brand new and hadn't been run-in yet, also I had the j-phonic K2 SP that day and not the GR07. However, as far as first impression go, EX1000 didn't blow me away that day. I liked it, but thought it was at the same level as GR07, more or less.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #186 of 7,982
Thank you @ MaxwellDemon and ClieOS.... Okay, this makes me more interested in the GR07, as the EX600 is just sounding wonderful to my ears.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #187 of 7,982
I got my GR07 yesterday and have been listening to them with a variety of music. I must say I am very impressed. I don't really have experience with other higher end IEM's, but I could immediately tell they were many steps above my Nuforce NE-7M.

The treble and mids are miles ahead in terms of clarity, accuracy, and balance. Vocals come alive and guitar sounds incredibly realistic, as if I was sitting in the recording studio. I guess that's why these are advertised as "monitors," eh? 
tongue.gif

The bass is out of this world. Not in quantity, but in "punchiness" and "impact," if those are the correct terms. Not that the quantity is insufficient, it's just definitely not as "bassy" as my Nuforce (but that's a good thing). Bass notes in dubstep and hip hop tracks extend very low and have that incredibly satisfying "thump" to them. I used to think the bass from my NE-7M was incredible, but compared to the GR07, it has more of a generous "whooomp" than a deep, quick "thump." I guess the correct term would be "sloppy." And the Nuforce simply doesn't extend as low in the frequency spectrum.

Comfort is actually pretty good. The designers definitely put some thought into the fit. The included ear "hooks" aren't too comfortable, but I'll get used to it over time.

The only con I want to mention is the rather painful sibilance. I'm assuming/hoping this will go away with burn-in, so time will tell.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #188 of 7,982
Must be burn-in as a credible user here and I found the GR07 and EX600s about equal in technical aspects and if anything the EX600s probably has slightly the upper hand (will get more into this in the future). EX1000 on the other hand is just in another level, but not enough to justify more than double the price of admission. 
Perhaps not a fair impression and comparison as the EX1000 I tried was brand new and hadn't been run-in yet, also I had the j-phonic K2 SP that day and not the GR07. However, as far as first impression go, EX1000 didn't blow me away that day. I liked it, but thought it was at the same level as GR07, more or less.

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #189 of 7,982
Thanks for the reply AlexRoma.

Are you referring to the RE-0 or the RE-ZERO? I have the ZEROs but it seems you're referring to the RE-0s?
Either way, you clearly show that the Vsonics offer a decent upgrade.
I'd be running them of my J3 without an amp.

I know it's another can of worms, but what do people prefer? Neutral source and warm phones or Warm source and neutral phones? 

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #190 of 7,982
I had RE-ZERO for a week long before. I do remember the sonic difference between RE0 and RE-ZERO. It's just too small to be taken in consideration..

The main difference was the better unamped sound from  ZERO model on my Cowon Iaudio 7. That's all...

So, unamped RE-ZERO could offere maybe 60% of unamped GR07's , or even less . 

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #191 of 7,982

Quote:
Thanks for the reply AlexRoma.

Are you referring to the RE-0 or the RE-ZERO? I have the ZEROs but it seems you're referring to the RE-0s?
Either way, you clearly show that the Vsonics offer a decent upgrade.
I'd be running them of my J3 without an amp.

I know it's another can of worms, but what do people prefer? Neutral source and warm phones or Warm source and neutral phones? 

Neutral source  and neutral IEMs here, since lack of coloration is music "as $deity intended". (not necessarily as author intended, they might've used bad equipment for mastering)
RE-ZERO is a very minor improvement on RE-0 in my opinion. The main win is that now it's possible to drive them out of most portables.
GR07 are a clear step up, unless you really love the great high end extension of RE0 and can't live without it.

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #193 of 7,982
I just ordered this to see how it stacks up with the IE8i, can't wait to get them. 
biggrin.gif

Two completely different IEM, in my opinion. The IE8 is a bass heavy IEM (from what I can recall), while the GR07 is one of the most balanced IEM I have heard. I am expecting that the GR07 might come out as 'underwhelming' in that pair up. :p

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #194 of 7,982

Quote:
Two completely different IEM, in my opinion. The IE8 is a bass heavy IEM (from what I can recall), while the GR07 is one of the most balanced IEM I have heard. I am expecting that the GR07 might come out as 'underwhelming' in that pair up.
tongue.gif

I'm hoping it's different, I just want options on sound sig when listening to music. I love my IE8i for hip hop for sure.

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #195 of 7,982
I'm hoping it's different, I just want options on sound sig when listening to music. I love my IE8i for hip hop for sure.

That is a good news then. :)

You will definitely have your ears open to a different sound signature with the GR07.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back