Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Jan 29, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #4,711 of 5,715
Jan 29, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #4,712 of 5,715
My EXT is arriving next week and will be cable rolling Aeneid, Socrates, Project 8 Plato and Plato x Socrates over the coming weeks - but will most end up sticking with stock.
Curious to hear how it pairs with the Socrates! From what I've read, its a more refined Plussound Tri-copper in sound so it should pair really well with EXT.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #4,713 of 5,715
I will try to make Vision Control my EXT, as I think there is an issue in low frequencies with the left driver :sob::sob::sob:..

For ten days now, I can't find any tips solving like an impaired issue and frequency response limitation, rather easy to detect when I test with some Qobuz test tracks like “Left-Right Test (Sine Wave Sweep) from Bass 305”. As with my Beyerdynamic Xelento and DCA Stealth I don't have any difference L/R and I have a significant different in low frequencies only with the EXT with all types of tips I own.
I was a bit lost for a while as sound quality became "no more impressive" like in the first few weeks.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #4,714 of 5,715
Know these will inevitably be “no dice” for you, but at least we all have more photos like this to look forward to…

Jan 30, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #4,715 of 5,715
Good morning Cape Town!

Phonix1.jpg

That is the best photo I’ve seen of the VE flagship, the red faceplates look gorgeous. 👍

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #4,716 of 5,715
I still wonder how the EXT sounds with Aeneid and/or Socrates. Has anyone tried one of those combos ?
After 200h of burn in the bass was tamed a bit and sounds better controlled now. Iliad is a wonderful companion for the EXT but still treble can get harsh sometimes...

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #4,717 of 5,715
Very happy with my combo of spiral dots ++ and PW 1960s 2W on the EXT. Bass is more controlled and highs are a bit tamed while the mids are lifted slightly giving the EXT less of a V shape sound. Loving this IEM for modern music and EDM.

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #4,718 of 5,715
Very happy with my combo of spiral dots ++ and PW 1960s 2W on the EXT. Bass is more controlled and highs are a bit tamed while the mids are lifted slightly giving the EXT less of a V shape sound. Loving this IEM for modern music and EDM.
I didn't like the 1960s 2w on EXT!... well Stormbreaker. It seemed to really attenuate the Sub bass but took detail retrieval and layering / separation up a notch. I guess we are all after different things when cable rolling.

EDIT (Context) - This was after listening extensively with the Plussound Tri-copper 4 wire.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #4,719 of 5,715
I didn't like the 1960s 2w on EXT!... well Stormbreaker. It seemed to really attenuate the Sub bass but took detail retrieval and layering / separation up a notch. I guess we are all after different things when cable rolling.

EDIT (Context) - This was after listening extensively with the Plussound Tri-copper 4 wire.
Yeah we all hear differently specially considering the DAP and tips used when comparing. I had the same results with the 1960's 2W when I paired it previously with the 64Audio Trio which was V shaped as well.

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #4,720 of 5,715
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #4,721 of 5,715
After a delightful weekend getting to know Phonix, EXT tip selection begins.

EXTips.jpg

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #4,722 of 5,715
After a delightful weekend getting to know Phonix, EXT tip selection begins.

EXTips.jpg
Nice. How are you finding the fit of the nozzle with your ear canals?

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #4,723 of 5,715
Nice. How are you finding the fit of the nozzle with your ear canals?
The nozzle on its own is no issue. You need to twist them in from a forward position, and then they slip in naturally, but that's the technique I first learned with the Blon BL-03 and now use with all my IEMs. With Spiral Dot MS, it's a very snug fit and the tips don't go too deep. I like how the earpieces 'lock in' and stay put. Comparativley speaking, the Z1R is an 'easier' fit, but I can move around more eaily with the EXT than I can with Z1R. There's more 'pressure' on my ears with EXT, but it's not bad and goes away fairly quickly, whereas that pressure isn't there with Z1R and Spiral Dots because it's a shallower fit. Busy trying the Spinfit CP155 (S) that came with the tour pack, and they're comfortable too, but go deeper and exert a bit more pressure than the SDs. With EXT I can always feel there's IEMs in my ears, whereas with Z1R they dissapear after a while. That said, EXT with SDs isn't painful and I believe I can probably wear them for extended periods without fatigue.

I'll comment on sound once I've put a few hours on them, but so far, a few tracks in, Z1R is easily holding its own, which in my book is actually a compliment to EXT.

Jan 31, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #4,724 of 5,715
No worries Daniel :) I'll be waiting patiently...

giphy-downsized-large.gif
My man, I've finally got your cable comparisons written down! :sweat_smile: 'So, so sorry again for how late these are, but here we go:

Going from the stock cable to the Socrates, the most prevalent changes occur in the mids and treble. The cable takes away some centre-mid heft (or weight), which lets the upper-mids shine through more. Guitars have more presence to them, horns are livelier and brassier, and they're a bit lighter (or less dense) too. The midrange is also better-resolved as a whole, with instruments sounding more complete. Up high, the Socrates cuts back a tad on mid-treble bite to inject some air into its upper-treble. Hi-hats and cymbals seemingly take a small step back, but they're also airier and more open-sounding. The initial crash or tick isn't as in-your-face, but that sizzle as they fade away (the shhhh or tail of the cymbal, as I like to call it) is better-resolved; they won't taper or roll off as wishy-washy-ly as they will on the stock cable. Decay itself is cleaner too on the Socrates, which results in an overall tidier, more clear-cut image. Spatially, because the mid-treble isn't as forward, you get a more evenly spherical stage. Whereas, I felt the stock cable gave the EXT a bit more width than depth. And, a tiny change to the bass is that it won't be as wide in terms of surface area, but its punch is more concentrated.

Tonally, the Aeneid is a bit more like the stock cable than the Socrates. It maintains the stock cable's larger note size, compared to the Socrates's tighter images. And, the mids and highs are more similar to the default cable's as well. The centre-mids and mid-treble are even, and the upper-mids sit just behind. The treble here also has the bite and edge that it had with the stock cable. But, it's counteracted nicely by a bit more warmth in the mid-bass. The bass I think undergoes the biggest change with the Aeneid. It's the most-open (or least-compressed) it's ever been, which results in freer, more guttural-sounding hits without disturbing the stability of the image. I can't explain it much better than it feels like it's had a compressor taken off it. The midrange isn't tonally far off of the stock cable's, but I feel like it's gotten a notable upgrade in resolution and in depth. It's better-rounded and formed here, and it's made the midrange on the stock cable seem a bit two-dimensional and hollow by comparison. And, in terms of imaging, stereo separation and, especially, stage height, the Aeneid is the strongest of the three.

So, in conclusion, I'd say the Socrates makes the most tonal changes. I actually prefer its lighter, more delicate, yet airier treble the most of the three. It's also superb if you wanna tilt the balance of the midrange more towards the upper-mids. The Aeneid isn't far off the stock cable in terms of overall balance, but it maximises the in-ear's technical performance by a good margin. The bass, especially, is at its freest and best here. And, I find imaging stronger on either Eletech cable; spherical evenness on the Socrates and sheer size on the Aeneid. The only scenarios where the default cable is stronger would be in stage height and bass spread vs. the Socrates, and if you think the tonal balance on the stock cable is perfect already.

'Hope this helps, my friend! :)

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #4,725 of 5,715
My man, I've finally got your cable comparisons written down! :sweat_smile: 'So, so sorry again for how late these are, but here we go:

Going from the stock cable to the Socrates, the most prevalent changes occur in the mids and treble. The cable takes away some centre-mid heft (or weight), which lets the upper-mids shine through more. Guitars have more presence to them, horns are livelier and brassier, and they're a bit lighter (or less dense) too. The midrange is also better-resolved as a whole, with instruments sounding more complete. Up high, the Socrates cuts back a tad on mid-treble bite to inject some air into its upper-treble. Hi-hats and cymbals seemingly take a small step back, but they're also airier and more open-sounding. The initial crash or tick isn't as in-your-face, but that sizzle as they fade away (the shhhh or tail of the cymbal, as I like to call it) is better-resolved; they won't taper or roll off as wishy-washy-ly as they will on the stock cable. Decay itself is cleaner too on the Socrates, which results in an overall tidier, more clear-cut image. Spatially, because the mid-treble isn't as forward, you get a more evenly spherical stage. Whereas, I felt the stock cable gave the EXT a bit more width than depth. And, a tiny change to the bass is that it won't be as wide in terms of surface area, but its punch is more concentrated.

Tonally, the Aeneid is a bit more like the stock cable than the Socrates. It maintains the stock cable's larger note size, compared to the Socrates's tighter images. And, the mids and highs are more similar to the default cable's as well. The centre-mids and mid-treble are even, and the upper-mids sit just behind. The treble here also has the bite and edge that it had with the stock cable. But, it's counteracted nicely by a bit more warmth in the mid-bass. The bass I think undergoes the biggest change with the Aeneid. It's the most-open (or least-compressed) it's ever been, which results in freer, more guttural-sounding hits without disturbing the stability of the image. I can't explain it much better than it feels like it's had a compressor taken off it. The midrange isn't tonally far off of the stock cable's, but I feel like it's gotten a notable upgrade in resolution and in depth. It's better-rounded and formed here, and it's made the midrange on the stock cable seem a bit two-dimensional and hollow by comparison. And, in terms of imaging, stereo separation and, especially, stage height, the Aeneid is the strongest of the three.

So, in conclusion, I'd say the Socrates makes the most tonal changes. I actually prefer its lighter, more delicate, yet airier treble the most of the three. It's also superb if you wanna tilt the balance of the midrange more towards the upper-mids. The Aeneid isn't far off the stock cable in terms of overall balance, but it maximises the in-ear's technical performance by a good margin. The bass, especially, is at its freest and best here. And, I find imaging stronger on either Eletech cable; spherical evenness on the Socrates and sheer size on the Aeneid. The only scenarios where the default cable is stronger would be in stage height and bass spread vs. the Socrates, and if you think the tonal balance on the stock cable is perfect already.

'Hope this helps, my friend! :)

Man, this is what i was waitin' for Daniel :)

giphy.gif

Seems i need both :D

giphy.gif

...but i'd say it depends strongly on the choice of music though. For electronic and IDM Iliad sounds awsome for my liking (nothing to optimize here imo) , but for classics and rock i guess Aeneid and Socrates are the better pick as Iliad can be quite sharp and treble (+ upper mids) with the stock cable is a tad too much on the laidback side.

Thanks a lot mate ! That helped definitely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back