Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Feb 2, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #4,741 of 5,717
Yeah I figured it out fairly quickly myself. It's easier to get the tips on than to get a good fit though. Only 3 out of a dozen tips were anywhere near comfortable enough to use.
Ja, I have big canals and these are thick. Sized down with medium Crystals as I realized they don't require a deep insertion compared to EVO and Indigo and finding the fit comfortable. I remarked in a different thread that my first experience with Crystals were that they were bright - definitely not bright with EXTs and enjoying the pair. Will attempt the CP500s later.

EXTs are fitting nicely in between EVO and Indigo for me.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #4,742 of 5,717
I see a lot of people saying it's hard to put tips on the EXT but its honestly pretty easy once you figure out how. First time I did it took me 30 seconds. Now it takes like 5.
Just put them at an angle, stick your thumb in the eartip hole then push and boom they're on.

If they're virgin tips then you gotta turn them inside out first and push in then over.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #4,743 of 5,717
Oh dang, Indigo already has too much bass energy relative to the mids for me. I was hoping EXT was more balanced overall. More linear, less 'W".

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #4,744 of 5,717
Ja, I have big canals and these are thick. Sized down with medium Crystals as I realized they don't require a deep insertion compared to EVO and Indigo and finding the fit comfortable. I remarked in a different thread that my first experience with Crystals were that they were bright - definitely not bright with EXTs and enjoying the pair. Will attempt the CP500s later.

Dang, given the size of that nozzle, it is going to be tough getting the crystals onto the EXT.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #4,745 of 5,717
Dang, given the size of that nozzle, it is going to be tough getting the crystals onto the EXT.
Maybe just a tiny produce rubber band is all you need? No one needs tips, just a gasket.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #4,746 of 5,717
Maybe just a tiny produce rubber band is all you need? No one needs tips, just a gasket.

This is sort of how I had them in my ears with these weird unnamed double flange tips I had. Unfortunately the part that houses the estats was still just too thick.

009F999B-E85C-4179-8B38-89770A120DB5.jpeg

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #4,747 of 5,717
Oh dang, Indigo already has too much bass energy relative to the mids for me. I was hoping EXT was more balanced overall. More linear, less 'W".
Ah apologies, I used an esoteric personal ranking meaning EXT has all the qualities I was looking for in one IEM - mature low end with textured bass, immersive, air staging that's not overly bright. I'll use the phrase - it's a "great listening IEM" where I'm sprawled out in my Eames lounge chair with a cocktail, relaxing and enjoying some great sounds - like a Corona commercial, but sipping a Hibiki Harmony LOL.... not that I couldn't do that with EVO or Indigo (it does have some bass energy!) if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #4,748 of 5,717
I manage to get the crystals on fine, you just have to reverse the tip before manoeuvring the stem over the iem tip. Fortunately, I can’t sympathise with any complaints about fit as I have pretty large ears. I’ve also had no issues getting a seal with all of the tips I’ve tried.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #4,749 of 5,717
This is sort of how I had them in my ears with these weird unnamed double flange tips I had. Unfortunately the part that houses the estats was still just too thick.

009F999B-E85C-4179-8B38-89770A120DB5.jpeg
lol, thats what I was thinking.
I usually need 15-16mm size, so EXT might have been designed with me in mind? I am getting excited about being able to size down and actually try out a variety of tips. Like, OMG choice!!

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #4,750 of 5,717
Just received the Canadian Tour shipment. So grateful to be apart of it.

Thank you @Rockwell75 & @Vision Ears for this opportunity. I am grateful.

Just had the Phönix in for 10 minutes and now it is dinner time.

In that short time I have been really surprised by the clarity and spaciousness of these IEMs. Compared to my Andromeda 2020 there is no contest. Balanced sound, more open, airy, spacious, texture, better timbre. Wow. These are special. Excited to listen more!

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #4,751 of 5,717
Now I have the VE Elysium EXT in my ears. Thankfully I had an easy time with fit. The SEDNA Crystals just perfectly seat these in my ears.

I need to find my own tips soon. I bought some but they were intended for Samsung earphones and I was so disappointed I did not try to reorder.

The EXT sounds great with DARKSIDE so far. Really greats depth, medium width, great detail and thump.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #4,752 of 5,717
Listening to the Vision Ears EXT and Purity Ring “Fineshrine”

Wow. These EXT are made for music like this:
DARKSIDE
Purity Ring
100 gecs
Grimes
probably any glitch pop, EDM

I am curious to find other music that these will work with. It’s is going to be a journey.

Listening to Crosby Stills & Nash and this is good as well. Brings up the older recording and fleshes it out a bit more. You can follow that bass line no problem.

Big Thief sounds great, again percussion and the bass line are not in the background.

So maybe more versatile than I first thought…

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #4,753 of 5,717
Listening to the Vision Ears EXT and Purity Ring “Fineshrine”

Wow. These EXT are made for music like this:
DARKSIDE
Purity Ring
100 gecs
Grimes
probably any glitch pop, EDM

I am curious to find other music that these will work with. It’s is going to be a journey.

Listening to Crosby Stills & Nash and this is good as well. Brings up the older recording and fleshes it out a bit more. You can follow that bass line no problem.

Big Thief sounds great, again percussion and the bass line are not in the background.

So maybe more versatile than I first thought…
Cross posting here, LOL:

Interesting you mentioned CSN. I was unwinding with CSN, Bread (esp. "Make it with you"), Seals & Croft, Bob Welch, Dr. Hook to The Doobie Brothers, Michael McDonald, Earth Wind & Fire. EXT really brought out the old recordings.

Crossing genres – Late Night Alumni, Zero 7, KAYTRANDA, Badbadnotgood ("Confessions, Part III" oh so guud), Little Dragon, Jungle, Tennyson, SBTRKT, Moderat, Floating Points, Oscar Jerome - EXT grooved the range of Eletronica with luscious beats, bass and vocals.

I was thinking how mature EXT's bass comes across - like a mature full bodied Shiraz or Malbec – layered, textured, rich full body. Not just the bass but overall.

Ja, I'm a bit intoxicated with EXTs - figuratively and literally, LOL. :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass:

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #4,754 of 5,717
back to the Phönix.

Hmm… missing the EXT for vocals. The richness. The Phönix is no slouch, I just was enjoying the vocals on the EXT.

Instruments sound more correct with the Phönix. More fine, delicate details with the Phönix. Really good texture on strings. Guitars sound like guitars and you can hear how the strings were played.

Feb 3, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #4,755 of 5,717
Just got the Phonix and EXT demo units in yesterday. The phonix sounds pretty good and reminded me a lot of the Erlkonig, which I liked a lot for rock music. I then measured them and it is basically takes the Erlkonig #2 and improves on the upper mid-range and treble extension. Perfect. :)

The EXT is a bit different sounding, with more clarity in the upper mids and a little more sub-bass. It's a bit more of a generic u/v-shaped sound but also enjoyable.

Oh, and I LOVE PURPLE. The case and shell are amazing.

The tuning isn't necessarily safe in today's IEM market, but I think a lot of people will enjoy both of these still, and as usual, VE technical performance is very good.

Phonix, like many VE iems, is ultra-sensitive, so be careful listening to this. It'll get loud quick. The EXT isn't nearly as sensitive and is more aligned with other IEMs on the market in terms of how sensitive it is to volume differences.

I'll be enjoying these only for a short time unfortunately. :|

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back