Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 28, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #1,216 of 5,715
Just did a review on the ELYSIUM and compared them - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/vision-ears-elysium.23939/reviews#review-22939 - but they are different enough that i would want to own both. The ELYSIUM is rich with lots of euphonics and mids are the start of the show where the VE8 is balanced and articulate. Both are full sized players even at low volume for realistic up close intimacy and both have stellar bass. The ELYSIUM universal sounded bass light as I didn't have as good of a seal as I thought, but in getting the custom, the bass was huge! The mids are still the star of the show, but the bass on the custom ELYSIUM is the best I have heard with super powerful rumble and sub-bass that wows me. The VE8 sounded like the bass was massive from the universal, and I have not heard the custom so it could get even bigger. Either way, this is not bloaty boom box bass on either, more audiophile high end subwoofer type bass that is tight, textured, and articulate. Best of all, but the ELYSIUM and VE8 bass integrate into the rest of the spectrum without the typical midbass hump offering incredible timbre and a natural signature. You cannot go wrong with either.
I had universal Elysium at home recently and I managed to have an incredible fit with 3 flange tip. Bass is completely what you describe, I agree with you . Best BA bass i heard on my side.

Nov 28, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,217 of 5,715
+1. It would be interesting to hear about the differences between the CIEM versions. I nearly went for an Elysium but opted for VE8 in the end after reading reviews of bass being light on the Ely. Loving the VE8 and can't possibly think of how much better it could get to be honest.

The Elysium is quite different from the VE8 in my opinion but that’s only from the Elysium demo so take this with a grain of salt. The bass is probably where they’re the most similar at least I had a great fit with the demo so it must be close even if I expect the custom to be quite better there. The mids on the Elysium it has been said are unique, more layered, nuanced and richer textures. The timbre is more natural sounding and separation is better (which is insane as the VE8 are so apt). Treble wise, I find the VE8 treble are more natural but maybe it takes some getting used to the Elysium treble (and also, I suspect the universal demo is not half as good given of how tips affect the treble presentation). There is an ethereal quality to the Elysium treble that is not up to KSE1500 territory, but at the same time the lower treble has more energy on the Elysium than the KSE1500. If I had to pick, the VE8 is still the most amazing treble so refined and elegant but the Elysium extends further there is more air.

But the final result is more than the sum of its part, the signatures are different more than alike. Erlkönig has much more similarities to the VE8. The best thing is to test each and make up your mind on which you prefer but also which is best addition to a given collection.

Nov 28, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #1,218 of 5,715
Curves that completely illustrate what David is saying.

I find there is a real housse sound in VE flagship wich is great caus you know where you go when choosing one instead of another.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #1,219 of 5,715
The Elysium is quite different from the VE8 in my opinion but that’s only from the Elysium demo so take this with a grain of salt. The bass is probably where they’re the most similar at least I had a great fit with the demo so it must be close even if I expect the custom to be quite better there. The mids on the Elysium it has been said are unique, more layered, nuanced and richer textures. The timbre is more natural sounding and separation is better (which is insane as the VE8 are so apt). Treble wise, I find the VE8 treble are more natural but maybe it takes some getting used to the Elysium treble (and also, I suspect the universal demo is not half as good given of how tips affect the treble presentation). There is an ethereal quality to the Elysium treble that is not up to KSE1500 territory, but at the same time the lower treble has more energy on the Elysium than the KSE1500. If I had to pick, the VE8 is still the most amazing treble so refined and elegant but the Elysium extends further there is more air.

But the final result is more than the sum of its part, the signatures are different more than alike. Erlkönig has much more similarities to the VE8. The best thing is to test each and make up your mind on which you prefer but also which is best addition to a given collection.

Thanks David. That's very helpful. I must admit, I'm very tempted to get an Elysium after reading all the latest reviews but think I will just enjoy my VE8 for the time being as I haven't had it for long and it does wow me on a daily basis :)

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #1,220 of 5,715
Thanks David. That's very helpful. I must admit, I'm very tempted to get an Elysium after reading all the latest reviews but think I will just enjoy my VE8 for the time being as I haven't had it for long and it does wow me on a daily basis :)
I'd say if you can afford it, it is definitely worth purchasing. It makes for an excellent complement to the VE8 and it is practically guaranteed to redefine what peak performance sounds like haha

Ultra hyped to received my second one next week

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #1,221 of 5,715
I'd say if you can afford it, it is definitely worth purchasing. It makes for an excellent complement to the VE8 and it is practically guaranteed to redefine what peak performance sounds like haha

Ultra hyped to received my second one next week

If I can get the family discount I think I'd go for it even though I can't really afford it...but then, you only live once right?

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #1,222 of 5,715
If I can get the family discount I think I'd go for it even though I can't really afford it...but then, you only live once right?
Well there's different types of I can't afford it

There's, I won't be able to eat for the next two months but I'm still gonna ****ing do it

And then there's, I have the money, I probably shouldn't spend the money, but yolo

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #1,224 of 5,715
Or put it on the plastic and worry about it later :wink:
Hahaha amen to that. Thankfully I don’t have a plastic or otherwise my signature would be too long

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #1,226 of 5,715
:dt880smile: It does come in handy! Hopefully if the family discount is on the cards, I reckon I'll go for an Ely and one of Eric's Iliad cables. Then go into hibernation.
I’m certain the family discount is fine, @Vision Ears can confirm :)

Actually I have both the Plato and the Iliad ordered from Eric. He himself owns the Elysium and said he prefers the Plato pairing, I’ll also be able to comment on the synergies once I receive them though

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #1,227 of 5,715

Actually I have both the Plato and the Iliad ordered from Eric. He himself owns the Elysium and said he prefers the Plato pairing, I’ll also be able to comment on the synergies once I receive them though

Everyone who bought a VE custom In-Ear before is qualified for the VE FAMILY DEAL.

All information on the family deal can be checked on our website:

https://vision-ears.de/ve-family-deal-en

All the best,

Johannes

Vision Ears Stay updated on Vision Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/visionears.de/ https://www.instagram.com/visionears https://vision-ears.de/ info@vision-ears.de
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #1,228 of 5,715

Yes, Johannes emailed and see he has also posted, which is great! :).

Eric did mention that to me as well, but will only go for either Plato or Iliad. Will see how it goes.

Everyone who bought a VE custom In-Ear before is qualified for the VE FAMILY DEAL.

All information on the family deal can be checked on our website:

https://vision-ears.de/ve-family-deal-en

All the best,

Johannes

Thanks Johannes, I'll be in touch :)

Nov 29, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #1,229 of 5,715

Users who are viewing this thread

Back