Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Dec 14, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #4,396 of 5,715
You have a point there. Reason i called it V shape is because i gave U shape title to Indigo. So its more relative definition. I think i need to edit my previous post.
Yeah I'd imagine it comes across that way when comparing to something that is relatively more 'neutral'! It's all relative and that's just the nature of impressions I guess.

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #4,397 of 5,715
You have a point there. Reason i called it V shape is because i gave U shape title to Indigo. So its more relative definition. I think i need to edit my previous post.
Also, have you managed to cable roll with EXT? I seem to remember you having a Silver+Gold X6 for your LX a while back? The X8 was a nice change to EXT signature but I found it a little too detrimental to the timbre after a while.

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #4,401 of 5,715
Not commenting on the other aspects, but Phonix's mids/vocals absolutely blow U12t out of the water IMO.
Just about every IEMs vocals for me :D
Phonix users here, what eartips are u guys incline to use with & have the best fit? Spinfit? Crystal earfit?
SpinFit CP155, amazing fit for me.

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #4,402 of 5,715
For my Erlkonig : CP145 S or CP155 S.
I think shells are identical between Erlky and Phonix.
It's just like I had (almost) customs with Erlky.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #4,404 of 5,715
I'll take a look at the Onyx - I usually keep the coloured cables for U12t since it is relatively "not coloured". Code 51 is probably the gold standard for an "uncoloured" cable.
The Onyx increases sub, mid bass and lower mids.
This is not a placebo effect... Even on Legend X you can feel it, but it's way too much lol

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #4,405 of 5,715
Just about every IEMs vocals for me :D

SpinFit CP155, amazing fit for me.
Well, I'd agree with this view, too.....

Deciding between CP155 and Azla Light Shorts. Have to wait for the thing to arrive first tho....

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #4,406 of 5,715
Bob: OK big picture boy, can you talk about the Phonix and Extended as a whole rather than the parts. I hear you think you are groovy now thinking that your two newer VE partners do different and special things for you?

SLC: Bob oh Bob. Yes they do different things for me. Right down to the shape of their body and the width of their nozzle tip. Analogy time: The Phonix is like the perfect partner. So refined and always is elegant and extremely appropriate in public and in private. EXT on the other hand is a social being with a mild lack of social filtering. Can be appropriate in public and in private but oofta can she be inappropriate at times. EXT leaves you a little on edge. You may get elegant, or you may get someone feeling rather playful. You may get super fun and experimental or you may get poetry night!

The Phonix for me is the most refined and detailed IEM I have ever heard that is also musical and engaging. It stays musical and engaging which can be a fault of some “refined” and “detailed” monitors. You must peel away numerous layers to find fault with the Phonix.

Lets get to a few possible faults. Some may find it too linear forward. I still consider Phonix mildly W shaped. Not enough to bring attention to itself and is still linear. It is enough W that it keeps the engagement and fun happening as well as non-fatiguing during long sessions.

It may not have enough bass for some. The bass fits in perfectly with everything else. I do really feel like air is moving like a DD when called for. The sub and mid bass are equal. Neither lacks versus the other nor stands out versus the other.

The Phonix is about the whole versus each part. VE could have named this monitor Gestalt rather than Phonix. Gestalt: an organized whole that is perceived as more than the sum of its parts. That is what Phonix is about. “Gestalt” will need be in the title of the Phonix review that @Damz87 and I are putting together. You are enjoying all of the music with Phonix. You can analyze each instrument or note of the Phonix but you have to make a concerted effort to do that. Phonix does like to be called “G” for Gestalt at time. Good morning G. I hope your day was a pleasant one G. Always proper but engaging!.

Phonix is the Roger Federer of monitors. He is about Gestalt also. He is one fluid machine that always performs and one watching him asks how he does that. He is so smooth and enjoyable. You have to make a concerted effort to analyze each stroke on its own. When you do that you realize each stroke is so flawless that none brings attention to itself.

EXT on the other hand is the Rafael Nadal of monitors. Whan watching Nadal each stroke jumps out at you. The quirky motion of his serve, the volleys that are not refined, the forehand that takes away too much of his energy, the backhand that lacks extension. But Nadal puts it all together to defeat almost all his opponents. You walk away from his game shaking your head in bewonderment.

Each part of the EXT is right in front of you and is easy to pick out. With some songs the timbre of the mids shine. With other songs the movement, texture and the layering of the bass shine. With other songs I hear the cymbals shining through in a new and enjoyable way.

The EXT is the partner that you will have more fun with in general, but you never know which EXT you will get that day. You are drawn to living on the edge with her.

Each part of the EXT can be seen as greater than each part of the Phonix. The whole of the Phonix can be seen as greater than the EXT. The EXT treble can be more textured. The EXT mids have a timbre that is even more realistic than the very realistic timbre of the Phonix. The EXT treble can sparkle more. As a whole the Phonix bass, mids and treble come across as more realistic than the EXT until you start analyzing each one. I analyze instruments and musical space more with EXT. I enjoy the big picture with Phonix I.e. The Gestalt!

Dec 14, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #4,408 of 5,715
Is there a graph available for Phonix?
I haven't been able to find one yet (at least, not from any of the usual suspects). @crinacle may have one in his Patreon channel though, but nothing on the free site

Dec 14, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #4,410 of 5,715
Is there a graph available for Phonix?
This is the one I posted a while back:

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 02.40.25.png

By the way, apologies for being super late with the PHoNIX impressions, everyone. I'm on the tail end of a massive month of rehearsing, recording and mixing, but I should finally have time for impressions and reviews again from tomorrow on; after I go see Spider-Man, of course. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back