Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Dec 15, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #4,426 of 5,715
Listening to Joe Lovano "I am all for you" on M17 in desktop mode with Vision Ears EXT, plugged with Plussound Tricopper X8 and... this is one of the most stunning audio experience I have had when everything aligns into perfection with the feeling that there is the music and only the music...you're there, right next to the artists... pure emotion!

I have this experience a very select few times, one of them was with Viva Egoista 845 and Susvara, not the same setup by a long shot but the same kind of experience nonetheless... just wow! End game territory is usually when the gear is erased and only the music is left...

I have written this before but properly powered, EXT sounds like a full size headphone and with a lifelike presentation, it's so engaging and proficient as well... hats off to @Vision Ears and @Oliver Marino !

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #4,430 of 5,715
You could drive Phonix with a AAA battery, I actually dislike how sensitive it is.
Sounds like the Erlkonig in that respect. I need to use iematch to eliminate the hiss, even with a fairly quiet device like the DX300.

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #4,431 of 5,715
Sounds like the Erlkonig in that respect. I need to use iematch to eliminate the hiss, even with a fairly quiet device like the DX300.

Yep, same as erlky basically.

Once my music gets going it’s fine but for very quiet passages there’s a faint hiss with every source I’ve tried (iPhone, S1, DX240, SP2000 T)

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #4,432 of 5,715
I must have lost my hissdar! I sold many an IEM and/or DAP due to hiss. Starting with the 712 Andromeda's I suffered through hoping that one would not hiss. Ok I am exaggerating but with DX300 on low and the DX300Max on low with Digital volume at 50, I am not getting any hiss with Erlkonig, Phonix, nor Katana. The three sensitive IEMs I currently own. That is one of the huge advantages to those two iBasso DAPS is the lack of waterfall (I love saying waterfall as much as dongle). Waterfall, dongle and tip rolling. The three staples of any healthy diet!

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #4,433 of 5,715
I must have lost my hissdar! I sold many an IEM and/or DAP due to hiss. Starting with the 712 Andromeda's I suffered through hoping that one would not hiss. Ok I am exaggerating but with DX300 on low and the DX300Max on low with Digital volume at 50, I am not getting any hiss with Erlkonig, Phonix, nor Katana. The three sensitive IEMs I currently own. That is one of the huge advantages to those two iBasso DAPS is the lack of waterfall (I love saying waterfall as much as dongle). Waterfall, dongle and tip rolling. The three staples of any healthy diet!
Always gotta tip roll or else you never know what you’re gonna get! (Sound quality wise, of course).

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #4,434 of 5,715
Sounds like EXT really needs desktop power to excel? Whereas Phönix is just as happy on portable sources?
I don't know about Phönix since I haven't auditioned, but EXT is like the Elysium and maybe some of you have tried it : it scales insanely with more power... we mused with @lafeuill that the EXT needed more power than his D8000 Pro :grin:

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #4,435 of 5,715
I don't know about Phönix since I haven't auditioned, but EXT is like the Elysium and maybe some of you have tried it : it scales insanely with more power... we mused with @lafeuill that the EXT needed more power than his D8000 Pro :grin:
I can believe that. Some IEMs are just built that way. I remember plugging the IE 900 into a Chord Dave and realising there's an unexplored universe of upscaling possibilities out there. Personally I prefer not to know what's possible because it's just going to be exorbitantly expensive, and with IEMs my #1 criteria is portability.

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #4,436 of 5,715
Yup, I seem to be picking it up way more than others. I'll choose to see my above average hearing (for my age) as a blessing rather than a curse ... :wink: But it does mean I have to use an iematch unfortunately, with the Erlkonig. Pretty much the only IEM in my collection that requires it. (Apart from the MW10, which is for sale.)

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #4,437 of 5,715
So, what is the best combo you found ? Dap, cable, tips with Erlkonig ?

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #4,438 of 5,715
I must agree with this. Unfortunately i had to send EXT away before i got my 2.5mm to XLR adapter.
Would have done what im planning to do with indigo. Which is plugging them into this lol:
Screenshot_20211216-085739.png

A dual mono amp lol.

Dec 16, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #4,439 of 5,715
So, what is the best combo you found ? Dap, cable, tips with Erlkonig ?
The Spinfits CP100z are the only tips that have worked for me with Erlkonig. They seal and they keep Erlk from slowing sliding out. That does not sound right.

For cable, I was using the 1950 until Phonix came. Then Phonix took over 1950 and Loki + was on Erlk. Then a few days ago I was annoyed by some other IEM and cable combination so somehow a 1960 4 wire ended up on Erlk and another 1960 4 wire ended up on Erlk. Combos I had not tried because I thought the 1960 4 wire would be a little too far in the clarity direction but actually I am loving the 60 4 wire on both Phonix and Erlk. Added clarity, yes, but not too much. Added space and holographic sound yes! Love it.

Pretty much any cable that is not too warm or not too silvery clear sounding has worked well on Erlkonig. The stock cable is good but it is 2.5 and I have a fear of adapters!

Any DAP that does not give Erlk a hiss has worked well. Right now the DX300 and DX300Max work really well with it. DX300Max adds more of a dynamic sound to every IEM I have listened to with it. It is my first DAP in that unjustifiable price range so I have nothing to compare it to.

I should have stopped with DX300 but how many times have we said something like that in this audio illness.

Dec 16, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #4,440 of 5,715
I was going to post later this response to the below text I got from Bob recently but since there have been a few posts about EXT and power source, I thought I would post it now. Then in a few days I hope to post comparisons of EXT and Phonix with Odin and Sultan. All depending on life around me demands :)

Bob: SLC you are into power, so what is this Voodoo lounge stuff in your head about power source and IEMs?

SLC: I have talked about the overall sound of Phonix and EXT. But to give the topic true justice, I have to talk about power. The Phonix shows its true colors with any good source. “A good source” being the operative phrase. The implementation of the source is the key. On the other hand, I cannot emphasize enough how the EXT gets better and better with more power that is provided by a good source. The EXT is good with any source. But as it scales up the bass becomes so alive. The treble becomes more distinct and the mids become more holographic. It really is something to experience. I feel the EXT is fine with any source but seems tired with a basic powered source. But wow oh wow it is alive and happy with added power. The exact same can be said about Elysium, Odin, Sultan and EVO to name a recent few..
Any IEM I have or have had that has a DD and/or an Estat has scaled up better based on power provided to it by a quality source. I feel and hear it as I scale up from the Hiby R5s, to DX300 to DX300Max and then to Jotunheim 1 and Jotunheim 2. They are all sources I like a lot. They just treat IEMs with DD and Estats differently based on the power they are providing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back