Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Dec 14, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #4,381 of 5,715
Just sold my u12t after comparing it to the Phoenix.
I loved the u12t for the authentic sound signature, but the Phoenix is the best of all worlds, incl perfect dynamics.
I also have the EXT here and to my personal preference, the bass is a little bit too much (using the 3max). I also used a SP2k yesterday and the bass with the EXT was much more defined. But I missed the great dynamics of the 3max..

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #4,382 of 5,715
But if you can, and your are curious, try the @EffectAudio Onyx cable.

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #4,383 of 5,715
Speaking of which, I don't think I'll choose a cable that drastically changes the sound signature - why not just buy another IEM, no point in forcing a signature when it is not meant to sound like that in the first place. I'd much prefer Aeneid/Code 51/Cleo over the more coloured cables.

Which is why I am gravitating towards sticking with the stock cable with the Phonix when it comes....we'll see.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #4,384 of 5,715
Just sold my u12t after comparing it to the Phoenix.
I loved the u12t for the authentic sound signature, but the Phoenix is the best of all worlds, incl perfect dynamics.
I also have the EXT here and to my personal preference, the bass is a little bit too much (using the 3max). I also used a SP2k yesterday and the bass with the EXT was much more defined. But I missed the great dynamics of the 3max..
Not commenting on the other aspects, but Phonix's mids/vocals absolutely blow U12t out of the water IMO.

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #4,385 of 5,715
Speaking of which, I don't think I'll choose a cable that drastically changes the sound signature - why not just buy another IEM, no point in forcing a signature when it is not meant to sound like that in the first place. I'd much prefer Aeneid/Code 51/Cleo over the more coloured cables.

Which is why I am gravitating towards sticking with the stock cable with the Phonix when it comes....we'll see.
I got the Erlkonig LE, the stock cable is really good and balanced.
I keep my code 51 for the Fourté Noir.

Switchs on Erlkonig is perfect for me.

But I agree with you about the coloration of cables, I suggested an experience with trying other cables, as the Onyx.
Some can enjoy colored cables such as 1960…

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #4,386 of 5,715
Not commenting on the other aspects, but Phonix's mids/vocals absolutely blow U12t out of the water IMO.
Phõnix vocals must be insane then, because U12t's vocals were probably the strongest part of that IEM for me. It's what got me hooked on high-end IEMs.

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #4,387 of 5,715
I got the Erlkonig LE, the stock cable is really good and balanced.
I keep my code 51 for the Fourté Noir.

Switchs on Erlkonig is perfect for me.

But I agree with you about the coloration of cables, I suggested an experience with trying other cables, as the Onyx.
Some can enjoy colored cables such as 1960…
Yeah the stock cables for Erlk/Phonix are decent. Plus I don't want to break the Erlky's 2pin connector....

I'll take a look at the Onyx - I usually keep the coloured cables for U12t since it is relatively "not coloured". Code 51 is probably the gold standard for an "uncoloured" cable.

Also I might be the odd one out, but I find Centruion to be very picky on IEMs too....maybe it is just the fact that I dislike cables forcing way too much detail out. It does match the EXT quite well, but I somehow hated that when paired with the Phonix. Vocals sound really unnatural,even weird to me.

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #4,388 of 5,715
Phõnix vocals must be insane then, because U12t's vocals were probably the strongest part of that IEM for me. It's what got me hooked on high-end IEMs.
Maybe because the U12t is slightly recessed compared to Phonix's slightly forward. I do prefer slightly forward at the end of the day.

But there is one surefire difference - Phonix vocals, like the Erlky, sounds dense.

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #4,389 of 5,715
I still wonder if it's possible to get the type of vocal presentation you describe AND get satisfying instrumentation (especially deep and dynamic bass) in one IEM. I thought EXT might finally crack that riddle but reviews suggests otherwise.
Honestly… I think you are short changing the EXT here. It’s vocals are amazing if not as forward as the Phonix and it’s bass is some of, if not the best I’ve heard. Is there no way you can test one? Maybe put down a deposit with VE for them to send you one to test? I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I know I still am.

Dec 14, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #4,390 of 5,715
Honestly… I think you are short changing the EXT here. It’s vocals are amazing if not as forward as the Phonix and it’s bass is some of, if not the best I’ve heard. Is there no way you can test one? Maybe put down a deposit with VE for them to send you one to test? I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I know I still am.
It is probably one of the most realistic sounding and meaty vocals I have heard of before!

However, I prefer dense and thick instead of airy/ethereal.

Also it is, relatively speaking, less forward when the bass comes in. But it is very easy to focus on the vocals because it "cuts throught the mix", as you've said.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #4,391 of 5,715
I must agree with this. Even if i think its a V shape iem. Its far from valkyrie V shape. And i think EVO lower mids are thinner than EXT. Just upper mids are not as forward. Just sits behind bass and treble.

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #4,392 of 5,715
Fair enough, and yes, I am in discussions with Marcel to arrange a tour. Hopefully that pans out in the new year as I'd love to hear them. Pretty convinced they won't fit me through, with their deep fit design. But that aside I'm still very keen to hear it. Hopefully I'll be just as pleasantly surprised as you were.

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #4,393 of 5,715
It is probably one of the most realistic sounding and meaty vocals I have heard of before!

However, I prefer dense and thick instead of airy/ethereal.

Also it is, relatively speaking, less forward when the bass comes in. But it is very easy to focus on the vocals because it "cuts throught the mix", as you've said.
Yeah they are certainly the most realistic mids and vocals that I’ve heard! And the mids and bass are also effected quite a bit by cable / tip selection from my experience so there is some room to experiment.

I must agree with this. Even if i think its a V shape iem. Its far from valkyrie V shape. And i think EVO lower mids are thinner than EXT. Just upper mids are not as forward. Just sits behind bass and treble.
Yeah exactly! I think this is an important distinction to make. They sit very marginally behind the bass and treble and if anything, I’d probably categorise it as a U type signature. I think I’ve said previously but it reminds me a little of the U12t signature. Vocals play a much more prominent role in EXT than in the LX for example.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #4,394 of 5,715
Fair enough, and yes, I am in discussions with Marcel to arrange a tour. Hopefully that pans out in the new year as I'd love to hear them. Pretty convinced they won't fit me through, with their deep fit design. But that aside I'm still very keen to hear it. Hopefully I'll be just as pleasantly surprised as you were.
Ahh yeah the tips are very chunky bois and that EST bump doesn’t help. Could be a pain for those with earlets like @aaf evo encountered. Hopefully you do get to hear them! As a fellow DD affectionado I think you’ll be just as besotted with them.

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #4,395 of 5,715
Yeah they are certainly the most realistic mids and vocals that I’ve heard! And the mids and bass are also effected quite a bit by cable / tip selection from my experience so there is some room to experiment.

Yeah exactly! I think this is an important distinction to make. They sit very marginally behind the bass and treble and if anything, I’d probably categorise it as a U type signature. I think I’ve said previously but it reminds me a little of the U12t signature. Vocals play a much more prominent role in EXT than in the LX for example.
You have a point there. Reason i called it V shape is because i gave U shape title to Indigo. So its more relative definition. I think i need to edit my previous post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back