Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Oct 19, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #3,241 of 5,715
As we speak about the sensitivity to specific mid and/or treble region, I would address the question regarding EXT/Odin compared to Fir M5 and Sony M9.

I look for smooth and comfort sound, as example, couldn’t live with Anole VX, because they were hot somewhere in upper mid/lower treble. On the contrary, Fir M5 and Sony M9 are absolutely fine for me in terms of "smoothness" and are perfect for long and non-fatigue listening (Fir M5 head above Sony M9).

How EXT/Odin could be compared to Fir M5 and Sony M9 in this regard and which of them (Odin on EXT) are smoother and more comfortable (putting technicalities, soundstage etc aside)?

Both will be a blind buy. Sure, both are great in its own way, but being hot/harsh/peaky makes the other virtues negligible.
I can only speak about the Odin, but it does have an upper mid peak that is quite forward. If you are sensitive to the upper mid/lower treble area then I would advise caution for a blind buy.

I did buy the Odin blind and sadly had to sell it a couple of weeks later. Although it was a technically impressive IEM, with great separation, layering, detail retrieval, and bass, the forward upper mids were just too much for me. I also wouldn’t call Odin a smooth listen. To me it was more of an energetic sound that requires your attention. Despite it’s great technicalities I actually found it a bit fatiguing. I think in the main this was to do with the upper mid peak which I was sensitive to.

Of course this does not mean that you would have the same issues, but as you mentioned ‘hot’ and ‘smoothness’ as key areas in your choice for your next IEM I thought I would give my own thoughts on it as these are important criteria for me also.

I am hoping to demo the EXT soon, and looking forward to seeing how they compare to the Odin among others.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #3,242 of 5,715
was that ext right out of the box? it settles a good bit after a burn in.
from what i have heard so far in impressions/ initial reviews is it is better than ely in every aspect. The base is def more, but it blends in nicely after burn with everything
It was quite new, but they had it burning in over the previous night. Also, personally I never changed my evaluation of any gear after burn-in. Evidently frequency graph doesn't change after burning in, so the big cavity in mids will not just disappear and I just can't bring myself to listen to it.

At this point, I don't think it even makes sense to compare it against Elysium. Elysium is a mid-centric IEM, while EXT is very V-shaped. It would be better if VE didn't call it "Elysium extended" because they have completely different signatures.

As for the impressions, my personal experience is more in line with the video impressions in Chinese. When I heard it myself and then went back to check those impressions, many points just clicked.

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3,243 of 5,715
I can only speak about the Odin, but it does have an upper mid peak that is quite forward. If you are sensitive to the upper mid/lower treble area then I would advise caution for a blind buy.

I did buy the Odin blind and sadly had to sell it a couple of weeks later. Although it was a technically impressive IEM, with great separation, layering, detail retrieval, and bass, the forward upper mids were just too much for me. I also wouldn’t call Odin a smooth listen. To me it was more of an energetic sound that requires your attention. Despite it’s great technicalities I actually found it a bit fatiguing. I think in the main this was to do with the upper mid peak which I was sensitive to.

Of course this does not mean that you would have the same issues, but as you mentioned ‘hot’ and ‘smoothness’ as key areas in your choice for your next IEM I thought I would give my own thoughts on it as these are important criteria for me also.

I am hoping to demo the EXT soon, and looking forward to seeing how they compare to the Odin among others.
My experience with Odin’s sound totally aligns with yours. But I can see how it can be loved by many. Hoping to hear your impressions on EXT soon! :)

Oct 20, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #3,244 of 5,715
Can you comment on how it compares to A18s? I'm guessing the DD bass reaches better with better dynamics. I'm mainly curious about 1) mid-bass thickness, and 2) mids-treble resolution between the two? Thanks!
A18S is faster, cleaner, more resolving and with better separation - much more technical all around

The EXT is much more musical, thicker and warmer

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #3,245 of 5,715

Much obliged for detailed answer. Have you tried cable rolling? Probably, a solid copper cable could have reduced the mids and tame the highs, with emphasis on the low-end though.

Oct 20, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #3,246 of 5,715
A18S is faster, cleaner, more resolving and with better separation - much more technical all around

The EXT is much more musical, thicker and warmer
Thanks! :pray:

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #3,247 of 5,715
🤤

4460A77C-25F3-4B5E-BF00-6467E9155852.jpeg

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #3,249 of 5,715
Much obliged for detailed answer. Have you tried cable rolling? Probably, a solid copper cable could have reduced the mids and tame the highs, with emphasis on the low-end though.
Yes I tried cable rolling and tip rolling but neither helped me with those forward upper mids.

Oct 20, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #3,251 of 5,715
My experience with Odin’s sound totally aligns with yours. But I can see how it can be loved by many. Hoping to hear your impressions on EXT soon! :)
I should be on the VE UK tour to get the EXT. I’m just waiting for confirmation of the details at the moment, but fingers crossed for now 😃👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back