Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #3,256 of 5,715
Does anyone have a Phönix update of if they are closer to being shipped?

Oct 22, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #3,257 of 5,715
Does anyone have a Phönix update of if they are closer to being shipped?

A couple weeks ago they told me the necessary parts were on their way and that once received they'd need to do the finishing work on the IEMs. There was an IG post a couple days ago which showed what seemed to be said finishing of the IEMs so I am optimistically taking that to imply that indeed they are close to the illustrious day of shipping.

Oct 22, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #3,258 of 5,715
Based on what I can see in a HK audio dealer’s IG post, I think it has received its first batch of EXT and has or will be informing the first group who pre-ordered on collection details.

Attachments

• 0A14E20E-2712-4B5F-BB22-831A381D9BAA.png
    0A14E20E-2712-4B5F-BB22-831A381D9BAA.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #3,259 of 5,715
It’s different than the Ely…it would be too simplistic to say it’s just an Ely with more bass.
it def has more bass, don’t get me wrong, but to my ear (I only listened to the Ely briefly), the elevated bass relatively speaking de-emphasizes the mids and treble that I heard in the Ely. So, even if for example the mids and treble are technically the same, because the bass is so much more present, mids and treble are relatively recessed.
all in all, i think it’s wonderful and I’m enjoying it quite a bit, but again, IMHO, it’s not really fair to say it’s just an Ely with more bass.
I see that you have both VE EXT and Oriolus Traillii. Could you please compare them as they both using same number of EST. It would be really interesting to know if between 2 choice which one would you keep, if you need to choose one and why.

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #3,260 of 5,715
I see that you have both VE EXT and Oriolus Traillii. Could you please compare them as they both using same number of EST. It would be really interesting to know if between 2 choice which one would you keep, if you need to choose one and why.
You know the price disparity between them right? haha I would expect at least a little performance difference and the price factoring into which one you'd keep.

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #3,261 of 5,715
You know the price disparity between them right? haha I would expect at least a little performance difference and the price factoring into which one you'd keep.
ha ha yea I do know the big different price between the two. However, being Oriolus Traillii, is older, I just wonder how will the new EXT stack up against the big guy.

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #3,262 of 5,715
ha ha yea I do know the big different price between the two. However, being Oriolus Traillii, is older, I just wonder how will the new EXT stack up against the big guy.
If you compare the cost of the Ext vs the Bird used the price difference is not so huge anymore. I myself am considering either buying the Ext or Bird used next. I won’t buy the Bird new simply because I personally don’t believe any IEM is worth that kind of money, of course YMMV. I am very interested to hear any comparisons out there between these two

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #3,263 of 5,715
I'm not great at articulating what I'm hearing, but I'll try and give it a shot. Fair warning - my preferred cable for the Bird (a gold-plated silver) is on it's way to get re-braided, and so I can't do an A/B at this exact moment. With the EXT, I am using a Norne Silvergarde SX 8-wire cable.

While it's true they both use 4 EST, they are otherwise very different. As you know, apart from the ESTs, the EXT uses DDs while the Bird uses BAs. Ultimately they are both wonderful in their own ways, and so I think if you had to choose one or the other, it'll come down to preferences - I am fortunate to not have to choose :) In other words, I don't know that I can look at either and fault it for a particular reason...which I can certainly do for other IEMs I've heard and sold.

The EXT is warmer sounding overall, with a more U-shaped sig (some may call it V...and I could agree with that as well). While I'm not sure the bird has a reference tuning, it's flatter and more reference-like than the EXT.

The EXT has wonderful, DD bass. While the bird has some of the best bass I've heard, particularly considering it's just 2 BAs, I would probably say I prefer the EXT's bass (but again this would be due to preferences and not because I think the bird's bass is bad per se). EXT has wonderful rumble, nice sub-bass emphasis, I don't detect much bleed into the mids (if any at all). Very nice implementation from Vision Ears.

Mids are interesting. EXT is the first IEM I've heard using a DD for mids. I'd say this is a wash between the two; the DD brings a unique sense of layering and detail to the mids that I've not experienced before, but I still very much enjoy the mids on the bird. hard to choose one versus the other. I do find myself a bit more enamored with the EXT's mids right now, in part because of the additional detail I'm hearing in vocals that I've not heard before.

On treble, I'd have to do another direct A/B before giving comments with a high degree of confidence. What I can say is that both have implemented ESTs very well - I'm particularly sensitive to peaky/shrill treble (and upper mids), but while both the EXT and Bird bring a somewhat characterisitic brightness and clarity to treble (characteristic for ESTs, based on what I've heard), I don't find either to be overly bright or shrill in any way. The bird's treble comes off as a bit more forward in the mix given the EXT's tuning, but I also wouldn't say the EXT's treble is recessed in anyway. I don't consider either to have particularly airy treble, just to my ears - my benchmark for airy treble is frankly the U18s...something about those Tia drivers I suppose.

Apart from the sound signature, I'd say the bird is slightly more detailed, whereas the EXT is more musical. Stage is slightly wider left-to-right on the bird, but the EXT is no slouch here - excellent stage width.

Not sure I can choose one over the other, at least right now.

Hope this helps!

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3,264 of 5,715
I'm not great at articulating what I'm hearing, but I'll try and give it a shot. Fair warning - my preferred cable for the Bird (a gold-plated silver) is on it's way to get re-braided, and so I can't do an A/B at this exact moment. With the EXT, I am using a Norne Silvergarde SX 8-wire cable.

While it's true they both use 4 EST, they are otherwise very different. As you know, apart from the ESTs, the EXT uses DDs while the Bird uses BAs. Ultimately they are both wonderful in their own ways, and so I think if you had to choose one or the other, it'll come down to preferences - I am fortunate to not have to choose :) In other words, I don't know that I can look at either and fault it for a particular reason...which I can certainly do for other IEMs I've heard and sold.

The EXT is warmer sounding overall, with a more U-shaped sig (some may call it V...and I could agree with that as well). While I'm not sure the bird has a reference tuning, it's flatter and more reference-like than the EXT.

The EXT has wonderful, DD bass. While the bird has some of the best bass I've heard, particularly considering it's just 2 BAs, I would probably say I prefer the EXT's bass (but again this would be due to preferences and not because I think the bird's bass is bad per se). EXT has wonderful rumble, nice sub-bass emphasis, I don't detect much bleed into the mids (if any at all). Very nice implementation from Vision Ears.

Mids are interesting. EXT is the first IEM I've heard using a DD for mids. I'd say this is a wash between the two; the DD brings a unique sense of layering and detail to the mids that I've not experienced before, but I still very much enjoy the mids on the bird. hard to choose one versus the other. I do find myself a bit more enamored with the EXT's mids right now, in part because of the additional detail I'm hearing in vocals that I've not heard before.

On treble, I'd have to do another direct A/B before giving comments with a high degree of confidence. What I can say is that both have implemented ESTs very well - I'm particularly sensitive to peaky/shrill treble (and upper mids), but while both the EXT and Bird bring a somewhat characterisitic brightness and clarity to treble (characteristic for ESTs, based on what I've heard), I don't find either to be overly bright or shrill in any way. The bird's treble comes off as a bit more forward in the mix given the EXT's tuning, but I also wouldn't say the EXT's treble is recessed in anyway. I don't consider either to have particularly airy treble, just to my ears - my benchmark for airy treble is frankly the U18s...something about those Tia drivers I suppose.

Apart from the sound signature, I'd say the bird is slightly more detailed, whereas the EXT is more musical. Stage is slightly wider left-to-right on the bird, but the EXT is no slouch here - excellent stage width.

Not sure I can choose one over the other, at least right now.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much for your impression. This really helpful. I’m trying to pick between the two and really hard to decide LOL.

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #3,265 of 5,715
Thank you very much for your impression. This really helpful. I’m trying to pick between the two and really hard to decide LOL.
I understand...not an easy decision. For now, I'll keep both. My guess is that the EXT will get more ear time (in fact I am listening to them now!), but only because it hits my preferences a bit better than the Bird. The Bird, Erkly, etc., will provide a nice "change of pace."

I presume demo'ing each is not possible for you, which would of course be ideal.

I believe VE is shipping out their first "big" batch of EXT's now, and so perhaps you'll be able to read more impressions of it shortly, which may be helpful to you in lieu of being able to hear them.

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #3,266 of 5,715
IMG_20211012_150736.jpg

VE definitly nailed it for this one. Good Job.

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #3,267 of 5,715
Is the silver mesh-like structure in the groove of EXT actually an open design? Or is it just surface texture?

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #3,268 of 5,715
Is the silver mesh-like structure in the groove of EXT actually an open design? Or is it just surface texture?
There are actual perforations there. They essentially function like the vent holes you’d find on most DD-equipped IEMs. But, the gaps aren’t as wide as, say, the ones on 64 Audio’s Duo, so I wouldn’t consider them an open or semi-open design at all; just a more aesthetically-pleasing interpretation of the DD vent hole.

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #3,269 of 5,715

VE definitly nailed it for this one. Good Job.

Agreed, I’m rocking that same combo EXT + Centurion, it’s such a great and resolving IEM on its own and then tossing on that cable just makes it even better in detail retrieval!

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #3,270 of 5,715
There are actual perforations there. They essentially function like the vent holes you’d find on most DD-equipped IEMs. But, the gaps aren’t as wide as, say, the ones on 64 Audio’s Duo, so I wouldn’t consider them an open or semi-open design at all; just a more aesthetically-pleasing interpretation of the DD vent hole.
Now that's a pretty cool way to integrate the vent into the design!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back