Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Aug 7, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #2,746 of 5,715
Sounds like Phonix is very similar to Erlkonig :)
Ha ha, I tried Erlkonig few years ago, just remember the sound is airy, very detailed and the weight is very heavy... among the best IEMs at that time. I would say Phonix is a new flagship IEM from VE rather than emphasizing it is the successor of Erlkoning. In fact, I don't like the switchable sound signature design in Erlkoning. The use of carbon fiber and no switchable sound signature show VE got another approach to design a top/flagship IEM, at the same time giving an improved sound quality to the customers. VE is now confident to bring what they think is the best sound signature to us through Phonix, no more switches. At least, to my ears, the impression from Phonix is much deeper than Erlkoning.

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #2,748 of 5,715
Ha ha, I tried Erlkonig few years ago, just remember the sound is airy, very detailed and the weight is very heavy... among the best IEMs at that time. I would say Phonix is a new flagship IEM from VE rather than emphasizing it is the successor of Erlkoning. In fact, I don't like the switchable sound signature design in Erlkoning. The use of carbon fiber and no switchable sound signature show VE got another approach to design a top/flagship IEM, at the same time giving an improved sound quality to the customers. VE is now confident to bring what they think is the best sound signature to us through Phonix, no more switches. At least, to my ears, the impression from Phonix is much deeper than Erlkoning.
We will need some direct comparisons as musical memory lasts seconds when trying to compare detail differences, etc. It will be interesting.

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #2,749 of 5,715
I’m waiting someone to compare Phonix with Traillii :D

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #2,750 of 5,715
I prefer Phonix.

I think more comments/impressions on EXT and Phonix will show up. As quite a lot of people tried them in AV & Head-fi Show in Hong Kong.
Can you please describe what made you prefer Phonix over EXT? Did it have a better timbre, or tighter bass, etc. Tks.

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #2,751 of 5,715
Saw the specs for Phonix, the sensitivity looks pretty high:

125 dB SPL @ 1KHz (100mV)

I don't recall seeing higher numbers. On paper this might be a bit problematic for volume control.

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #2,752 of 5,715
Can you please describe what made you prefer Phonix over EXT? Did it have a better timbre, or tighter bass, etc. Tks.
I tried EXT first, then I tried Phonix with the same songs. The instant feeling is just like walk out a house in a fine day, feeling open, fresh, shine and everything is just beautiful. This may sounds odd I described this way... but yes, the music comes out from Phonix is more lively, engaging, especially vocal. I felt the sensation, emotion of the singer. Phonix has the ability to "connect" the singer and listener. The staging of EXT and Phonix has sufficient width, but Phonix is a little bit more holographic. Phonix provides plenty of room to every instrument and singer to perform and do not interfere each other. The timbre of both EXT and Phonix is silky smooth, you can just listen and listen for a long period of time without feeling fatigue. Bass... hm... the quantity of both new IEMs is on the weak side I think, EXT is a little better than Phonix. However, the bass quality is good. So if bass is an important criterion to you, please try Phonix before making an order. At the time I tried EXT and Phonix, they just arrived Hong Kong. I think both were not in the optimal condition, especially EXT. EXT has 2 DD, I expect it requires longer time to run-in to reach optimal condition. So, I also waiting some more people to give their impression on these two new IEM.

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #2,754 of 5,715
I tried EXT first, then I tried Phonix with the same songs. The instant feeling is just like walk out a house in a fine day, feeling open, fresh, shine and everything is just beautiful. This may sounds odd I described this way... but yes, the music comes out from Phonix is more lively, engaging, especially vocal. I felt the sensation, emotion of the singer. Phonix has the ability to "connect" the singer and listener. The staging of EXT and Phonix has sufficient width, but Phonix is a little bit more holographic. Phonix provides plenty of room to every instrument and singer to perform and do not interfere each other. The timbre of both EXT and Phonix is silky smooth, you can just listen and listen for a long period of time without feeling fatigue. Bass... hm... the quantity of both new IEMs is on the weak side I think, EXT is a little better than Phonix. However, the bass quality is good. So if bass is an important criterion to you, please try Phonix before making an order. At the time I tried EXT and Phonix, they just arrived Hong Kong. I think both were not in the optimal condition, especially EXT. EXT has 2 DD, I expect it requires longer time to run-in to reach optimal condition. So, I also waiting some more people to give their impression on these two new IEM.
Thanks for the extra info.

Aug 8, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #2,755 of 5,715
Can we just..... :heart_eyes:
Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 13.31.05.png

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #2,756 of 5,715
Can we just..... :heart_eyes:Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 13.31.05.png

Looks wonderful...definitely the top of my list as far as this recent slew of releases goes...only thing I'd change would be to swap out for a 4.4 connector.

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #2,757 of 5,715
yeah, not sure what the fixation is on 2.5 terminations for ve…

E9633EEA-E215-4C42-B988-A32366ABC003.jpeg

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,758 of 5,715
yeah, not sure what the fixation is on 2.5 terminations for ve…

E9633EEA-E215-4C42-B988-A32366ABC003.jpeg

Possibly that it's more versatile...ie., easier to adapt up to 4.4 than from 4.4 down to 2.5. Beyond that I don't really know.

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #2,760 of 5,715
This is why they just release adapter 2.5 to 4.4 haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back