Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Aug 5, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,717 of 5,715

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #2,718 of 5,715
Any clue so far if any of these 2 new models will be limited edition or not? I need to know so I can plan to sell my kidney now or in few months.
I highly doubt it. The EXT will likely be offered with the same availability as the OG ELYSIUM, and the Phonix - with its new shell and lowered price tag - looks like it was actively designed to be more commercially-available than the Erlkonig.

Aug 5, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #2,719 of 5,715
LOL, I was actually hoping the EXT would be priced > $3K so I could dismiss it out-of-hand as excessive for my current hobbyist spending. The DD + DD + ESTx4 is the config I've craved for months, but not wanting to "go there" again in terms of spending. But noooooo, they had to offer it sub-$3K. Now I'll spend time thinking about it, mentally grinding over it.

ec4d1c0bc34159496d11128487e052ee.gif

Aug 5, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #2,720 of 5,715
The Phonix is quite interesting to me, I’ll be looking out for impressions, and hopefully, I’ll get to hear it at canjam …

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #2,721 of 5,715
Love my Elysium, but a DD driver for bass sounds so enticing. And I always wanted to try the Erl but never have. Does that mean I have to buy both now? Yikes! :scream: I guess Musictek has an early bird discount on their pre-orders. :ksc75smile:

Aug 5, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #2,722 of 5,715
4 EST is where it's at, just like the Odin, Baldr, and the Bird :smiley: I'm enjoying my Baldr right now, and 4 EST do add some sprinkles of magic to the whole sound

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #2,723 of 5,715
Super excited for the EXT particular. Look forward to impressions as and when they start coming out - not just about the sound but also about fit. Really hoping one can achieve great sound without requiring a really deep insertion.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #2,724 of 5,715
Today is the first day of Hong Kong AV & Head-fi Show 2021 and I just visited the show. There are 2 Phonix and 2 EXT demo units, I tried both of them briefly. I first tried EXT and then Phonix. My DAP is LP6 Ti. The sound quality of Phonix is extremely good, only the quantity of bass is a little bit weak to my taste. I pre-ordered Phonix at HK$33,800. The first shipment to HK will be arrived in the mid of August.

Attachments

• IMG-20210806-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210806-WA0003.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20210806-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210806-WA0004.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #2,725 of 5,715
Today is the first day of Hong Kong AV & Head-fi Show 2021 and I just visited the show. There are 2 Phonix and 2 EXT demo units, I tried both of them briefly. I first tried EXT and then Phonix. My DAP is LP6 Ti. The sound quality of Phonix is extremely good, only the quantity of bass is a little bit weak to my taste. I pre-ordered Phonix at HK$33,800. The first shipment to HK will be arrived in the mid of August.
Any impressions of the EXT? Have you heard the original?

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #2,726 of 5,715
Any clue so far if any of these 2 new models will be limited edition or not? I need to know so I can plan to sell my kidney now or in few months.
I highly doubt it. The EXT will likely be offered with the same availability as the OG ELYSIUM, and the Phonix - with its new shell and lowered price tag - looks like it was actively designed to be more commercially-available than the Erlkonig.

All good moves on VE's part imho. I've come to dislike limited editions when they're not simply aesthetically tweaked versions of products already on the market. Knowing I'll be able to properly save for this and not feel the urgent need to sell off gear I'd rather not sell in the long term to make a major purchase in the short term is a huge relief lol.

The DD + DD + ESTx4 is the config I've craved for months, but not wanting to "go there" again in terms of spending. But noooooo, they had to offer it sub-$3K. Now I'll spend time thinking about it, mentally grinding over it.

Same but at least there's no rush and you can bide your time without worrying that there might be none left by the time you're able to take the plunge. This is what happened to me with the n6ii TI.

Love my Elysium, but a DD driver for bass sounds so enticing. And I always wanted to try the Erl but never have. Does that mean I have to buy both now? Yikes! :scream: I guess Musictek has an early bird discount on their pre-orders. :ksc75smile:

Yes 5%. This new Ely could really be something else-- it renders pretty much all other releases a moot point for me going forward.

Talk about a buildup and no payoff lol...anything at all you could say about it? (Are you familiar with the original Elysium?)

+1

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #2,727 of 5,715
The original? you mean Elysium? I heard Elysium before but do not like it. From the brief listening section, I found the sound signature of EXT is close to that of Elysium. In short, just like a peaceful lake, the sound is smooth, gentle, nothing is aggressive to my ears. The sound stage is wide but the depth is not as good as my Odin and Phonix. The vocal is not as engaging as Odin and Phonix. The quantity of bass is also a little bit weak. Maybe the demo unit that I tried does not run-in enough, cause all the demo units (EXT and Phonix) just arrived HK yesterday.

Haha, I am not good at expressing my impression in words~ I'm sorry about that~

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #2,728 of 5,715
How do you compare Phonix with a well driven IER Z1R in term of SQ??:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back