Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #2,761 of 5,717
Aug 8, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #2,763 of 5,717
The termination of the stock cable is 2.5mm but include an 2.5 to 4.4mm adapter. I needed to ask the staff to lend me a 2.5 to 4.4mm adapter to try the EXT and Phonix.
Both the EXT and the PHoNIX will come with 2.5mm-to-4.4mm adapters, according to My IEM Store's post. I believe VE's recent announcement video mentions that as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,766 of 5,717
Today, the last day of Hong Kong AV & Head-fi Show. I went to the Show and try EXT and Phonix again. As expected the SQ of EXT and Phonix improve quite a bit. The quantity of bass of EXT & Phonix is OK now, sufficient and not exaggerating. The quality of bass is good too, detailed, controlled and deliver the sense of energy. The bass of EXT gave my greater sense of energy. However, Phonix only use BAs and I can feel the energy in the bass. This is quite remarkable. In this second listening session, EXT was more airy, vivid and vocal was better too. I can feel the singers "open their mouth wider"... in other words, the mid and high are more detailed and bright. Haha, I still love Phonix more than EXT. Actually, EXT is very "handsome", it looks like Evangelion Unit-01.
DSC_0443a.jpg

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #2,768 of 5,717
Ah if it comes with it thats good I guess, wish it was just 4.4mm from the start as adapters are annoying. Better than just 2.5mm only though I suppose.

S’pose this makes it more adaptable 🤣
Actually, I also tried the new Astell&Kern SP2000T, it also comes with 4.4 mm connector and sounds much better than Kann Alpha's 4.4mm end. You know, AK is one of the originator for the use of 2.5mm in DAP and now they started to use 4.4mm as well. What I see is 2.5mm will be faded out soon, may be next gen. of DAP. What I think is 2.5mm + 4.4mm adapter does not sound as good as 4.4mm alone. If I were VE, I will include an high quality 4.4mm cable as standard+ a "so-so" quality 2.5mm cable with 2.5 to 3.5mm adpater as spare.

Aug 8, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,769 of 5,717
2021-08-09-01-01-47.jpg

This very humble-priced, very cute and very pocket-friendly dap makes me very happy. ^^

Don't miss my DX300 one bit when I'm out and about. Hidizs should really get more traction for offering that much for so little money. And size !

Power specs are not particularly exciting on paper, but real life says otherwise. Turns out 210mW per channel from the 4.4mm HO is more than adequate to drive not only my VE8 on low gain at 20/100 - and believe me when I say I like it LOUD - but the more power-hungry A8000 also sing like there's no tomorrow.

Great job Hidizs.

Aug 8, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #2,770 of 5,717
2021-08-09-01-01-47.jpg

This very humble-priced, very cute and very pocket-friendly dap makes me very happy. ^^

Don't miss my DX300 one bit when I'm out and about. Hidizs should really get more traction for offering that much for so little money. And size !

Power specs are not particularly exciting on paper, but real life says otherwise. Turns out 210mW per channel from the 4.4mm HO is more than adequate to drive not only my VE8 on low gain at 20/100 - and believe me when I say I like it LOUD - but the more power-hungry A8000 also sing like there's no tomorrow.

Great job Hidizs.

Hidizs products always sounded great but their customer service is next to non-existent. This was a few years ago though not sure how they are now.

Aug 9, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #2,771 of 5,717
Both the EXT and the PHoNIX will come with 2.5mm-to-4.4mm adapters, according to My IEM Store's post. I believe VE's recent announcement video mentions that as well, but I'm not 100% sure.
I asked Andrew earlier, actually the adapter needs to be bought separately.

Aug 9, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #2,772 of 5,717
Aug 9, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #2,774 of 5,717
Today, the last day of Hong Kong AV & Head-fi Show. I went to the Show and try EXT and Phonix again. As expected the SQ of EXT and Phonix improve quite a bit. The quantity of bass of EXT & Phonix is OK now, sufficient and not exaggerating. The quality of bass is good too, detailed, controlled and deliver the sense of energy. The bass of EXT gave my greater sense of energy. However, Phonix only use BAs and I can feel the energy in the bass. This is quite remarkable. In this second listening session, EXT was more airy, vivid and vocal was better too. I can feel the singers "open their mouth wider"... in other words, the mid and high are more detailed and bright. Haha, I still love Phonix more than EXT. Actually, EXT is very "handsome", it looks like Evangelion Unit-01.
DSC_0443a.jpg
Hows the fitting on the Phonix? Is it same as Elkornig?

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #2,775 of 5,717
Did you ask him directly? I asked whether the adapter is included with EXT, and he specifically said no.
Yes, I ask for Phonix so it might included only for Phonix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back