Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Apr 30, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #1,501 of 5,715
Stock cable sounds fantastic and is nice and light.

it’s a custom high end ea cable, can’t really go wrong.

I wish it tangles a bit less easily, but otherwise no complaints.

I also just picked up a great case for these, it’s actually the same van nuys case from the erlky demo kit. Will be arriving any day now from Japan. Huh

Awesome, thanks toaster! That’s really great news. Can save a bit of coin after the wallet-destroying purchase of Erlkonig :p

Can’t wait to get them, will be a long 6 weeks :frowning2:

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #1,502 of 5,715
You bought it? Nice!

Have you heard it before? Can’t recall if you were on the tour or if you mentioned you had.

The unboxing experience is completely insane. And it sounds incredible.

if there is a better-sounding cable I’d love to hear it. But, it sounds so good as is, you absolutely will not feel like you need to buy one. There are already 4 settings built in anyway, that all do more to change the sound than most cable swaps would.

Start that countdown...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #1,503 of 5,715
You bought it? Nice!

Have you heard it before? Can’t recall if you were on the tour or if you mentioned you had.

The unboxing experience is completely insane. And it sounds incredible.

Start that countdown...

Yeah, buying the LE. Nope, impossible to hear it unless I buy it here in Australia. Unfortunately VE don’t have any dealers out here.

It’s a HUGE blind buy, and I’m aware how crazy it seems :) However I feel like it’s a relatively safe risk with the switches, and I’m lucky enough to have an ear shape that works with universals. Worst case scenario is I have to sell them and I lose a bit of money.

Best case scenario is I love them, and I can sell the rest of my gear and just keep these and 1 hybrid and I’ll be done. Famous last words. :p

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #1,505 of 5,715
Hello Erklonig owners! Just wondering if there are any aftermarket cables that are recommended for this IEM? Or is the stock cable the best option?

I use an after market four cores cable and I like it a little better than the stock cable with heavier body even though the stock cable is one of the best cable as stock cable goes. One word of caution though if you are cable rolling, try to pin down a cable that you like with the Erlkonig fast and stay with it, because if you constantly plug and unplug with cables, the two pin socket will become loose and then you will have to send the Erlkonig in for service. Personally I don’t like two pin connector for this exact reason.

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #1,506 of 5,715
I use an after market four cores cable and I like it a little better than the stock cable with heavier body even though the stock cable is one of the best cable as stock cable goes. One word of caution though if you are cable rolling, try to pin down a cable that you like with the Erlkonig fast and stay with it, because if you constantly plug and unplug with cables, the two pin socket will become loose and then you will have to send the Erlkonig in for service. Personally I don’t like two pin connector for this exact reason.

Oh okay cool, thanks. I didn’t realise 2 pin connectors also have wear issues. If the stock cable is good enough then I’ll just stick with it for the time being.

May 1, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,507 of 5,715
Hello Erklonig owners! Just wondering if there are any aftermarket cables that are recommended for this IEM? Or is the stock cable the best option?

Are you getting an Erlky?

May 1, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #1,509 of 5,715
Yeah, going with an LE :)

Oh snap...congrats man that's awesome! I look forward to your impressions of the peerless Elf King.

May 1, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,510 of 5,715
Oh snap...congrats man that's awesome! I look forward to your impressions of the peerless Elf King.

Thanks man :) hoping it will replace my Anole VX in the collection. As much as I enjoy the VX, I find the timbre to be a little off. So hopefully the Erlky will be a good replacement with it's switches and hopefully better timbre?

May 1, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #1,511 of 5,715
If you’re going to by blind, you might as well go all in.

Ive never heard or seen another iem that I think competes with the erlky as a whole.

You’re gonna love it.

What kind of music do you listen to?

May 1, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #1,512 of 5,715
If you’re going to by blind, you might as well go all in.

Ive never heard or seen another iem that I think competes with the erlky as a whole.

You’re gonna love it.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Oh man, that is some very exciting news :) cannot wait to hear them!

I see that you have an A18t as well. How do they compare? Was thinking of getting a u12t instead but ultimately I want a multi-BA with switches.

Mostly electronic sub-genres like deep house, progressive trance, dnb, dubstep etc. but I like a pretty wide variety of music depending on the mood.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #1,513 of 5,715
A18t has been my favorite iem for quite some time. After acquiring the erlky, however, my tastes have changed.

the a18t is incredibly detailed and has a very neutral presentation. The erlky is even more detailed, but the biggest difference is how much power and musicality there is on the erlky. Just wait until you hear the bass and how fun it is to listen to.

earlier this week the A18t was posted for sale.

blame it on the erlky...

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #1,514 of 5,715
People have been mad curious about the EVE20, and I've just received mine today so here go some preliminary impression!

Packaging and build: VE have really outdone themselves with the EVE20 - a few rough photos, but they come in a beautiful carbon fibre box with a purple VE logo. Awesome metal case with internal padding as well, a brush, disinfectant and a 6.3mm adapter - definitely one of the more pleasant unboxing experiences I've had recently (I'm looking at you 64Audio :D). Included cable is alright, I'll end up replacing that pretty quickly though.

- The fit on these is BRUTALLY awesome - they sit perfectly flush in my ears, and I kid you not they fit me better than any customs I have ever owned. Insanely pleasant deep and proper insertion

Sound

- If you've heard the VE8 - this is practically a VE8. I haven't owned the custom version of it yet, and the demo was very sibilant, but the changes people described when they went from universal to custom VE8 are practically what I am hearing when I went from the VE8 demo unit to the EVE20 universal. If you haven't, read on

- Most broadly put, exceptional lows - nice and slow decay typical for a DD with that BA speed. Not excessive in quantity, rather balanced and slightly above neutral to complement the rest of the signature of the EVE20.
- Top-notch midrange, with a relaxed treble presentation to complement it. The keyword here is textured. I've said before that as far as BA mids are concerned VE have no competitor (Elysium remains my DD midrange king still), and they've confirmed that once again with the EVE20. Rather detailed as well with decent separation. Considering
- Relaxed treble presentation - it is somewhat unlike me to enjoy relaxed highs, but I think in this signature and with these lows they work quite well. If you lift the highs on top of the lows and the mids you'd get an overly intense and fatiguing presentation. The relaxed highs make stuff like EDM and modern rap/hip hop sound really good without being overly fatiguing, which can often be an issue depending on the mastering.
- They're rather technical, not unlike the VE8 - decent detail, separation, clarity and a fairly wide soundstage. Nothing like the IER Z1R, Fourte, A18s or any of the really heavy soundstage hitters, but rather good. The warm and pleasant tonality takes quite a lot of attention away from how technical they are, but either way they're certainly up there and no worse than the VE8, which is already a great great IEM

Overall verdict

- This is where I'm a bit divided. On one hand, these are a pair of awesome awesome IEMs, and they've satisfied my recent desires for a VE8 - since they're practically a universal VE8 if I have to be 100% honest. They might be slightly different in one aspect or another but ultimately it's the same presentation, tuning and considering they're both really technical, owning both would make no sense.

In the 1000-1500 euro bracket my previous favourite was the Acoustune 1695Ti but I dare say this outperforms it quite heavily in terms of detail, separation and overall tonality (it doesn't have that upper midrange tilt of the 1695Ti). My other favourite is the Andromeda S, which remains the option with the sparklier treble but its midrange is heavily behind in terms of texture and the bass is flat out inferior as well. I think the EVE20 will certainly give a lot of other models on the market a run for their money

My only quarrel with the EVE20 is that it feels like the universal version of the VE8, and its identity will inevitably always be tied to that of the VE8 - in a way it feels like a send off for the VE8 more so than its own unique 2020 model. Considering the limited edition Erl is coming up soon, which is a send off for VE's TOTL BA monitor, does this mean that VE are turning the page on two of their most revered monitors?

IMG_0541.jpg
IMG_8098.jpg

May 14, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #1,515 of 5,715
People have been mad curious about the EVE20, and I've just received mine today so here go some preliminary impression!

Packaging and build: VE have really outdone themselves with the EVE20 - a few rough photos, but they come in a beautiful carbon fibre box with a purple VE logo. Awesome metal case with internal padding as well, a brush, disinfectant and a 6.3mm adapter - definitely one of the more pleasant unboxing experiences I've had recently (I'm looking at you 64Audio :D). Included cable is alright, I'll end up replacing that pretty quickly though.

- The fit on these is BRUTALLY awesome - they sit perfectly flush in my ears, and I kid you not they fit me better than any customs I have ever owned. Insanely pleasant deep and proper insertion

Sound

- If you've heard the VE8 - this is practically a VE8. I haven't owned the custom version of it yet, and the demo was very sibilant, but the changes people described when they went from universal to custom VE8 are practically what I am hearing when I went from the VE8 demo unit to the EVE20 universal. If you haven't, read on

- Most broadly put, exceptional lows - nice and slow decay typical for a DD with that BA speed. Not excessive in quantity, rather balanced and slightly above neutral to complement the rest of the signature of the EVE20.
- Top-notch midrange, with a relaxed treble presentation to complement it. The keyword here is textured. I've said before that as far as BA mids are concerned VE have no competitor (Elysium remains my DD midrange king still), and they've confirmed that once again with the EVE20. Rather detailed as well with decent separation. Considering
- Relaxed treble presentation - it is somewhat unlike me to enjoy relaxed highs, but I think in this signature and with these lows they work quite well. If you lift the highs on top of the lows and the mids you'd get an overly intense and fatiguing presentation. The relaxed highs make stuff like EDM and modern rap/hip hop sound really good without being overly fatiguing, which can often be an issue depending on the mastering.
- They're rather technical, not unlike the VE8 - decent detail, separation, clarity and a fairly wide soundstage. Nothing like the IER Z1R, Fourte, A18s or any of the really heavy soundstage hitters, but rather good. The warm and pleasant tonality takes quite a lot of attention away from how technical they are, but either way they're certainly up there and no worse than the VE8, which is already a great great IEM

Overall verdict

- This is where I'm a bit divided. On one hand, these are a pair of awesome awesome IEMs, and they've satisfied my recent desires for a VE8 - since they're practically a universal VE8 if I have to be 100% honest. They might be slightly different in one aspect or another but ultimately it's the same presentation, tuning and considering they're both really technical, owning both would make no sense.

In the 1000-1500 euro bracket my previous favourite was the Acoustune 1695Ti but I dare say this outperforms it quite heavily in terms of detail, separation and overall tonality (it doesn't have that upper midrange tilt of the 1695Ti). My other favourite is the Andromeda S, which remains the option with the sparklier treble but its midrange is heavily behind in terms of texture and the bass is flat out inferior as well. I think the EVE20 will certainly give a lot of other models on the market a run for their money

My only quarrel with the EVE20 is that it feels like the universal version of the VE8, and its identity will inevitably always be tied to that of the VE8 - in a way it feels like a send off for the VE8 more so than its own unique 2020 model. Considering the limited edition Erl is coming up soon, which is a send off for VE's TOTL BA monitor, does this mean that VE are turning the page on two of their most revered monitors?

IMG_0541.jpgIMG_8098.jpg
Awesome review. I'm a bit tempted since I've had my eye on the VE8. If you don't mind, I have a couple questions. On the bright/dark scale, how does it compare to the Sony M9? Also, what quantity would you attribute to it's note weight, going off of crinacles scale? I believe the VE8 has a 2.

Have your impressions changed at all since you wrote this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back