Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
May 14, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #1,516 of 5,715
Awesome review. I'm a bit tempted since I've had my eye on the VE8. If you don't mind, I have a couple questions. On the bright/dark scale, how does it compare to the Sony M9? Also, what quantity would you attribute to it's note weight, going off of crinacles scale? I believe the VE8 has a 2.

Have your impressions changed at all since you wrote this?
I'm going to be writing up a full review, that should be done by Saturday or so. I haven't tried the M9, but the EVE20 is anything but bright - the treble is a bit rolled off which gives instruments a slightly blunted feeling - it works wonders with rap, EDM and hip hop as mentioned earlier, but I personally need a bit more resolution for instrumental tracks. Note weight is similar to that of the VE8 - don't know what Crin's scale is, but if the VE8 is a 2, then so would be the EVE20 I'd say

Impressions haven't changed much at all since I got them, but I tested them with a wider variety of tracks and genres and the treble roll off became a bit more apparent in some specific cases

May 14, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,519 of 5,715
Will be interested to hear your comparison between the Erlkonig LE & Elysium when they've both arrived :)

Hanging for my Erlkonig LE to arrive. Hurry up June!

The Erlkonig LE is supposed to be the same sounding as the regular one. The texture on Elysium mids is unlike anything I’ve heard before and the treble is more extended than the erlkonig. I can’t wait either, exciting times ahead.

May 14, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #1,520 of 5,715
I'm going to be writing up a full review, that should be done by Saturday or so. I haven't tried the M9, but the EVE20 is anything but bright - the treble is a bit rolled off which gives instruments a slightly blunted feeling - it works wonders with rap, EDM and hip hop as mentioned earlier, but I personally need a bit more resolution for instrumental tracks. Note weight is similar to that of the VE8 - don't know what Crin's scale is, but if the VE8 is a 2, then so would be the EVE20 I'd say

Impressions haven't changed much at all since I got them, but I tested them with a wider variety of tracks and genres and the treble roll off became a bit more apparent in some specific cases

Hmm... I don't know if roll off is the wording I'd use, because it implies that it falls off a cliff. I'd personally say shelved, because it does extend well to my ears, but the region as a whole has been, well, shelved down a tad. But, yeah, you'll definitely get a brighter top-end out of the ELYSIUM, for example, while the EVE 20 has ben purposely made to sound a bit richer.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #1,521 of 5,715
The Erlkonig LE is supposed to be the same sounding as the regular one. The texture on Elysium mids is unlike anything I’ve heard before and the treble is more extended than the erlkonig. I can’t wait either, exciting times ahead.
I would be interested to know how you would say the treble on the ERLK compared to the VE8 and Elysium? From what I have read it sounds like the midranges might be similar. Also the bass on the ERLK. Would you say it has more impact than the VE8? Tks.

May 14, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #1,522 of 5,715
I would be interested to know how you would say the treble on the ERLK compared to the VE8 and Elysium? From what I have read it sounds like the midranges might be similar. Also the bass on the ERLK. Would you say it has more impact than the VE8? Tks.

quick take here, but hopefully it's somewhat useful as a baseline for differences.

the treble on the erlky is much more present, crisp, and detailed, with zero sibilance. (the ve8 goes for a warmer overall sound, and part of this is a rather significantly rolled or "shelved" treble...shoutouts to @Deezel177 .)

bass on the erlky is just incredible. significantly better than any other BA i've heard and on par with a monster dd, like the fir m5. the only thing the erlky doesn't have vs. a great dd is lots of air movement. but, in detail, impact, and speed, there is virtually nothing else i've heard like the erlky. vs. other BA only iems i've heard, including the ve8, it's not really close.

a supremely organized and clean soundstage, and the blackest background i've heard also contribute to the erlky's overall sound, and surely enhance perceived treble and bass performance. i am constantly impressed with just how much cleaner and detailed the erlky is than almost anything else i've heard, and that's vs. a bunch of other totls.

specifically, regarding mids, elysium is the king (although the erlky is very, close) but the ely has a much lighter signature where bass is rather low in quantity, despite being amazingly punchy and detailed. there will definitely be some people who yearn for more bass from the ely, especially if it's used as their sole listener. regarding highs, i haven't fallen in love with any estat yet, and i personally still prefer ba highs, but i'd say highs are close to equally pronounced on both the erlky and the ely.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,523 of 5,715

Thanks for that! I'm kind of the other way. I have been enjoying treble extension on the trio very much in edm but enjoy a darker sound with vocal heavy genres.

Which is your favorite iem for edm? Also, do you think you'll be keeping the eve20?

May 14, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,524 of 5,715
quick take here, but hopefully it's somewhat useful as a baseline for differences.

the treble on the erlky is much more present, crisp, and detailed, with zero sibilance. (the ve8 goes for a warmer overall sound, and part of this is a rather significantly rolled or "shelved" treble...shoutouts to @Deezel177 .)

bass on the erlky is just incredible. significantly better than any other BA i've heard and on par with a monster dd, like the fir m5. the only thing the erlky doesn't have vs. a great dd is lots of air movement. but, in detail, impact, and speed, there is virtually nothing else i've heard like the erlky. vs. other BA only iems i've heard, including the ve8, it's not really close.

a supremely organized and clean soundstage, and the blackest background i've heard also contribute to the erlky's overall sound, and surely enhance perceived treble and bass performance. i am constantly impressed with just how much cleaner and detailed the erlky is than almost anything else i've heard, and that's vs. a bunch of other totls.

specifically, regarding mids, elysium is the king (although the erlky is very, close) but the ely has a much lighter signature where bass is rather low in quantity, despite being amazingly punchy and detailed. there will definitely be some people who yearn for more bass from the ely, especially if it's used as their sole listener. regarding highs, i haven't fallen in love with any estat yet, and i personally still prefer ba highs, but i'd say highs are close to equally pronounced on both the erlky and the ely.
Thank you for that. While I like the Ely, I do feel it is bass light. There are times where it does not have enough slam. Sometimes it does not sound like a drum was hit, just touched. Sometimes the bass guitar is not felt. The VE-8 is better in these areas. I guess I am asking if the bass is improved, which you answered, but are female vocals smoother than on the ELy or VE8 while still being open and airy? Tks.

May 14, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #1,525 of 5,715
Hmm... I don't know if roll off is the wording I'd use, because it implies that it falls off a cliff. I'd personally say shelved, because it does extend well to my ears, but the region as a whole has been, well, shelved down a tad. But, yeah, you'll definitely get a brighter top-end out of the ELYSIUM, for example, while the EVE 20 has ben purposely made to sound a bit richer.
Would you also say that it is close to the ve8?

May 14, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #1,526 of 5,715
Thank you for that. While I like the Ely, I do feel it is bass light. There are times where it does not have enough slam. Sometimes it does not sound like a drum was hit, just touched. Sometimes the bass guitar is not felt. The VE-8 is better in these areas. I guess I am asking if the bass is improved, which you answered, but are female vocals smoother than on the ELy or VE8 while still being open and airy? Tks.

tbh, i never really "got" the ve8. i never experienced the wonderful mids that most people talk about, but perhaps that's because i've heard subsequent offerings from ve that, in my opinion, are improved.

vocals on the erlky are some of the best i've ever heard...incredibly full, rich, and detailed, and placed perfectly dead center around your forehead with zero obstruction ever.

...however, vocals on the elysium are downright bonkers, and vocals are the reason i feel i must have the elysium...they are that good.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,527 of 5,715
tbh, i never really "got" the ve8. i never experienced the wonderful mids that most people talk about, but perhaps that's because i've heard subsequent offerings from ve that, in my opinion, are improved.

vocals on the erlky are some of the best i've ever heard...incredibly full, rich, and detailed, and placed perfectly dead center around your forehead with zero obstruction ever.

...however, vocals on the elysium are downright bonkers, and vocals are the reason i feel i must have the elysium...they are that good.
For some people that are sensitive to sibilance, an organic sound will be an IEM with shelved treble like the ve8. My favorite vocal experience to this day was the hd6xx for country/folk/classic rock. I haven't heard it, but the fr of the ve8 looks to be in the ballpark, minus the terrible bass on the hd6xx. I'm curious about the elysium, but I worry that it won't work with my preferences.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #1,528 of 5,715
^

what are your preferences?

May 14, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #1,530 of 5,715
If you want to celebrate mids...ely all day.

Treble is not rolled, though.

What are you looking for now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back