Victor HP-FX500 Review: World's first Wood Canalphones
Jul 5, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #316 of 1,087
What I would really like would be an indepth comparison between the top ends on the FX and W3... I have yet to hear a BA setup that has treble as clean / extended as the FX!

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #317 of 1,087
You guys are really make this hard on me. I REALLY WANT the FX500 now, because I love the TF10's, and I dont have the TF10's right now because I sent them away for custom molding. I really I can hold out another 2-3 weeks or else I will have another set of IEM's and I really don't NEED them.

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #318 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 80gb.... try this.. plug them straight into the Ipdo H/P out and put the EQ on "Loudness"... Pretty amazing straight out of H/P.. Your Ipod should have the Wofson DAC which is considered to be the best Ipod DAC so far. I know it's considered sacralige to use an EQ around these parts put I find that these Victors can really benefit from a touch of EQ.

Can you explain to me what the loudness eq is supposed to do? All I experience is a slight bit more bass and a slight bit more treble, which doesn't really help the midrange recession ... am I missing something?

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #321 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just that a bit more bass and treble.. It's was simply meant as an example of what a little EQ can do as well as what I feel is an already good quality DAP in the Ipod video 30-80 gb (5th gen?), especially with these 500's

It's true that the Ipod has a good chip in it but without the conversion to imod (done by Red Wine Audio) Red Wine Audio Products then there is quite a bit to not like about it. I have 3 80GBers and only 1 is an imod, the other two do not have the modification. The difference is striking !!!! Either way though, none of them in my opinion "causes" sibilance. Except for the gentleman with the sibilance problem, what I am reading is, the FX500 has a sweet high end with gobs of detail , an uncluttered midrange (although maybe a bit recessed) and a to die for bottom end. Could it be his LOD, no wait he's not using an amp. How is it with another DAP. Any time I've heard sibilance it was the iem and nothing else. maybe he got a bum pair or they need to be burned in thoroughly.

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #322 of 1,087
OMG..I found the perfect eartips for these!

I held this experiment off for awhile due to laziness but finally I tried these with the Koss KE29S eartips.

I remember when I quickly reviewed the Koss KE29S that the eartips were the most comfortable I've worn.

Comparing these with the Sony Hybrids:

* More comfortable feel and fit than my Sony Hybrids
(both are comfortable but the Koss is more comfortable)
* Turns the FX500's into a detail monster! OMG!
* Cheaper than the Sony Hybrids
* More extension in the treble (very sparkly without being bright), less recessed midrange and bass is more. it's about the same as it was pre burn-in but not as boomy.

The only couple of negatives are minor in that well, it's not as good looking as the Sony Hybrids and the 'micro-detail' isn't as much. However the gain in overall detail makes up for it.
The only place I could find to get these separately is from Koss themselves and at what looks like $5 a pair, a good deal.

https://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.ns...y=K&collapse=1 (choose KE29S)

That said I am aware that some of this might be a fit issue as the Koss' eartips are slightly bigger so I will get some larger Sony Hybrids to compare them to but well, if you want a Sony Hybrid alternative, this is definitely one to consider.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #323 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG..I found the perfect eartips for these!

I held this experiment off for awhile due to laziness but finally I tried these with the Koss KE29S eartips.

I remember when I quickly reviewed the Koss KE29S that the eartips were the most comfortable I've worn.

Comparing these with the Sony Hybrids:

* More comfortable feel and fit than my Sony Hybrids
(both are comfortable but the Koss is more comfortable)
* Turns the FX500's into a detail monster! OMG!
* Cheaper than the Sony Hybrids
* More extension in the treble (very sparkly without being bright), less recessed midrange and bass is more. it's about the same as it was pre burn-in but not as boomy.

The only couple of negatives are minor in that well, it's not as good looking as the Sony Hybrids and the 'micro-detail' isn't as much. However the gain in overall detail makes up for it.
The only place I could find to get these separately is from Koss themselves and at what looks like $5 a pair, a good deal.

https://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.ns...y=K&collapse=1 (choose KE29S)

That said I am aware that some of this might be a fit issue as the Koss' eartips are slightly bigger so I will get some larger Sony Hybrids to compare them to but well, if you want a Sony Hybrid alternative, this is definitely one to consider.

Thanks for the tip (eartip, lol).

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #325 of 1,087
I can only use the medium tips supplied fitted on the FX, have tried various alternatives, but to my ears they all colour the sound slightly... do these Koss tips keep the sound uncoloured? (i must add that personally i have no problem with the stock tips)

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #326 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a pair from Seyo. What is the best way to remove the paper filter at the end of the tube? Thanks for all the reviews and tips!

Joe

Fot me, the best tool for the task was a new i.e. sharp T-pin, though any large diameter pin or needle will be up to the task!

I pierced the filter paper in the middle and pried until it lifted up, wedging the needle under the tighter parts in a clockwise path until thee dratted thing could be pried loose!

Enjoy!!

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #327 of 1,087
How well do the the FX500's hold up with stock tips for jogging in terms of holding in place and microphonics? Would you guys say the FX500's have a fun sound or more of an analytical sound? Are they considered BA or Dynamic?

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #328 of 1,087
Okay, I have just placed an order (lord only knows why!!) for a pair of FX300... They should be arriving tomorrow...

...After some burn-in time, I will then review the two JVC heavy-weights, and see if - in my opinion, you don't have the green for the FX500, if the FX300 will be a suitable substitute...

Anyone want to buy my Klipsch X10 and C3?? hehe...

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #330 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the filter removal becoming popular? i really preferred them that way... also dunc - i will probably be purchasing the fx300 too!

What's this filter removal thing....

link to post would be nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back