Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #901 of 1,486
Well, I've ordered mine almost 6 weeks ago and they haven't arrived yet. However I don't know if I was among those from the first batch.

Sep 11, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #903 of 1,486
Sep 13, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #904 of 1,486
Really impressed with these so far. Great tonal balance and very pleasing FR. Love how easy it is to pad swap. I do wish I had an extra set of magnetic rings to make pad swapping even that much easier!

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #905 of 1,486
Anyone owned both Phantom and V1 for brief comparisons ?

I actually owned both for a bit. I went back and forth between the two a bunch of times, and even tried all of the Phantom mods people were suggesting (e.g., removed inner foam, removed back plates, etc.). No matter what, I always ended up preferring the Verum 1. It sounded more open and clear to me. I think if I had only had the Phantoms I would have enjoyed them, but when compared directly against the Verum 1, the Verum 1 every time (for me). (I also preferred the Verum 1 to the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open, for what it's worth.)

The Verum 1 might look a bit ungainly, but for me they're currently my favorite pair of headphones.

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #906 of 1,486
I actually owned both for a bit. I went back and forth between the two a bunch of times, and even tried all of the Phantom mods people were suggesting (e.g., removed inner foam, removed back plates, etc.). No matter what, I always ended up preferring the Verum 1. It sounded more open and clear to me. I think if I had only had the Phantoms I would have enjoyed them, but when compared directly against the Verum 1, the Verum 1 every time (for me). (I also preferred the Verum 1 to the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open, for what it's worth.)

The Verum 1 might look a bit ungainly, but for me they're currently my favorite pair of headphones.

Ditto on the AFO.

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #907 of 1,486
Ok ... So I got my Verum back from repair. Job well done !! Included are the promised Fenestrated pads. So, I've tried both sets of pads, back to back. What am I listening for ? I'm not sure I'm detecting any 'noticeable' difference. Help me out please ...

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #908 of 1,486
Ok ... So I got my Verum back from repair. Job well done !! Included are the promised Fenestrated pads. So, I've tried both sets of pads, back to back. What am I listening for ? I'm not sure I'm detecting any 'noticeable' difference. Help me out please ...

Sorry for inconviniences, as I've told all problems are solved and I will not make same mistakes in future.
About differences in pads - concentrate on mid presence and high frequency roll of. Also pay attention on stereo imaging and overal volume on sound.
p.s. As a bonus - your ears will not sweat :D

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #909 of 1,486
Sep 20, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #910 of 1,486
Sorry for inconviniences, as I've told all problems are solved and I will not make same mistakes in future.
About differences in pads - concentrate on mid presence and high frequency roll of. Also pay attention on stereo imaging and overal volume on sound.
p.s. As a bonus - your ears will not sweat :D

No no ... it was a small inconvenience and I am not complaining at all. You handled my problem very well and I am very happy. I tried the new pads (thank you) and I can't hear much of a difference between the two pads. My old ears, after 50+ years of playing drums don't allow me much hearing beyond 14-15Khz. I am wondering if this is where the most noticeable difference takes place. This is why I asked what the difference should be, based on others experience. All companies should offer customer service at the same level as you do Garuspik. I will try some longer comparisons and see about the 'sweat' thing. I'm still looking for 'audio related' opinions though :)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #911 of 1,486
My old ears, after 50+ years of playing drums don't allow me much hearing beyond 14-15Khz. I am wondering if this is where the most noticeable difference takes place.
cskippy's graph: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ver...mance-diy-planar.887175/page-24#post-14921985
Oluv's graph: https://youtu.be/19kCiKSyOYc?t=1017

I'd say whichever one is correct the differences should still be well within your hearing range (both show a 5-8 dB increase around 10.5 kHz - the highest frequency where a major difference is found).

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #912 of 1,486
so if you order the perf pads off the website, do they come with another pair of magnetic rings? can we order just magnetic rings?

I already have ZMF perforated Ori and ZMF perforated Universe pads. Are the perforated Verum pads worth ordering or are they really similar?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #913 of 1,486
Here are my brief impressions of the Verum One's after listening to them just under a week.

At first, they sounded quite underwhelming and thin. Powering them off of my phone and my PC motherboard resulted in a quiet, rather disappointing sound. But I burned them in over a few days and found a much better power source and these things came to life. After testing them on various high-end amps that I could find, I found that they scale very well!

The sound signature can be best described as dark, natural and dynamic. Bass is very flat and somewhat neutral, doesn't bleed at all through the midrange. Although it doesn't have the heavy slam and rumble some people have mentioned, the bass has some impact and is very well executed! Both upper-midrange and treble are recessed, but nicely detailed and the separation of instruments comes across very well. Soundstage is narrower than I expected, my Grado SR80e's come across wider, but the Verum's large drivers definitely create a "bigger" all-encompassing sound. I would still consider the soundstage relatively wide.

The build is incredible for a DIY headphone, it feels solidly built although a little cumbersome to handle, very comfortable to wear for long periods.

Overall I'm very impressed by what Garuspik was able to create, its such as pleasure to listen to these!

Note:
I have experienced a crinkling sound in the right earcup if I remove the headphone from my head (no effect on sound, so far).

Sep 24, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #914 of 1,486
Note:
I have experienced a crinkling sound in the right earcup if I remove the headphone from my head (no effect on sound, so far).

Hello. This is not a defect - it is an effect of compressed air inside earcup that hits light membrane. Sure you have a question - why only in one cup? Answer - cause in one cup it's a better seal with your head. To get rid of this (or at least minimize) you need earpads that allow air to move freely. They should be perforated. Anyway, it's inaudible during music playback.

Sep 24, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #915 of 1,486
Well, I've ordered mine almost 6 weeks ago and they haven't arrived yet. However I don't know if I was among those from the first batch.

Looking forward to your review!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back