Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #751 of 1,486
Oh right. I was just reading about that on ASR and DIYAH, where Solderdude even has some schematics for how to make your own. But I wouldn't want to make a fragile one myself - even with that solution I'd probably still pull out my wallet. :)

Aliexpress has plenty of them for a couple of bucks :wink:

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #752 of 1,486
Anyone knows are these 2 amp consider high impedance?
Is fiio am3d and smsl sh8

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190704_052908.jpg
    Screenshot_20190704_052908.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20190704_052404.jpg
    Screenshot_20190704_052404.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #753 of 1,486
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #755 of 1,486
Jul 5, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #756 of 1,486
Great review! I thought it paired well with a Topping D50 DAC and Schiit Lyr 3. I imagine the Milo was a joy to listen to.

Oh yes!

Somehow, Verum One, although being a 350 USD Headphone, is more like, amazingly good when you feed it from very good AMPs. Not everything in the world scales this much, Verum One and Sundara are two headphones that scale tons.

So... there wasn't a page for Verum One already, so I made one :)

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/verum-1-one-planar-magnetic-headphones.23810/

We should post our reviews about them hyere rather than making a new thread every time, makes it easier to find the reviews for users looking for impressions :)

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #757 of 1,486
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #758 of 1,486
Mmm, loving those high-contrast photos where the cup sides look much darker, they're giving me all kinds of sexy aftermarket repainting ideas. :art: :relieved:

Please be careful. Cup is also a nest for magnets. It's not only a housing. You can't disassemble it simply.

But I disagree that these are low efficiency though. 96 dB/mW is quite average, and it should allow them to be driven to painful levels even from portable players and DAC-amps.

Verum 1 is 96 dB/mW and ~116 dB\V.

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #759 of 1,486
Mmm, loving those high-contrast photos where the cup sides look much darker, they're giving me all kinds of sexy aftermarket repainting ideas. :art: :relieved:

But I disagree that these are low efficiency though. 96 dB/mW is quite average, and it should allow them to be driven to painful levels even from portable players and DAC-amps.

Thank you!

About the efficiency, the thing most people don't expect is that they'll run most AMPs into current overdrive before reaching painful SPLs, basically, they are really easy to get loud theoretically, but you're far more likely to not reach that point unless the source can keep up with the 8 OHM impedance :)

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #760 of 1,486
Please be careful. Cup is also a nest for magnets. It's not only a housing. You can't disassemble it simply.
Oh I never considered disassembling it, just an outside paint job to add some translucent layer on top of the base print and change the general color. What I'm more worried about, frankly, is that any solvent used in any paint I might try applying would melt the existing print and maybe even the plastic. Do you have any tips on what could be applied safely? Maybe water-based paints only?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #761 of 1,486
Verum 1 Measurements:
(MiniDSP EARS. Purr1n's compensation. 500Hz 84dB normalized. 1/12 smoothing)
(Edited: All graphs now use average of L&R measurements)

Verum 1 (red) vs Audeze LCD-2 Pre-Fazor Dekoni Velour Pads (green)
Verum 1 LCD-2.jpg

Verum 1 (red) vs Hifiman HE4XX (blue)
Verum 1 HE4XX.jpg

Verum 1 (red) vs Hifiman HE5SE (blue) vs Hifiman-500 Fuzzor Mod Focus A Pads (green)
Verum 1 Hifiman.jpg

Verum 1 (red) vs Monoprice M1060C Open Back Modded (black)
Verum 1 M1060C.jpg

Verum 1 (red) vs Ether Flow 1.1 Angled Pads - no felt (purple) vs Ether Flow 1.1 Angeled Pads - white felt (green)
Verum 1 Ether Flow.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #762 of 1,486
Thanks for the measurements! Can I make a suggestion? When you do comparisons use the average of the L/R channels so that there are just two lines on the graph. I'm having a hard time following some of those...

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #763 of 1,486
My preorder arrived roughly 2 weeks ago. And I've already put about 200 hours of use on them. The sound quality blows me away. I have nothing else that even come close to this. quite a dynamic range. And a lot of separation. I'm able to hear the micro details of everything, at the same time. What an experience.

These headphones are able to reproduce a lot of micro details I havn't heard before in some of my lossless/lossy rips.

I have no channel imbalances, not even in the slightest. I can even wiggle around the jacks on the the left and right cup without audio cutting out.

At first, these were heavy, and clamped a little to much on my ears. Made my ears feel fatigued after extended use. So I started to toy around with the angle on the headband. There's definently a sweet spot. For me when I find that, the weight of the cups disappear. I mostly only feel the headband, feels nearly 2x lighter with just simple adjustment. And becomes the most comfortable headset I've used.

In terms of directional sounds. I would say it lacks a little. This is the only thing a couple of my previous cans can do better. But it's not enough for me to care.

You can definently tell these are made by hand. On my set the left and right knobs have imperfections and a different kind of grip machined compared to the top knob. They're design is simple and unique, But I love this about them. Overall they are built like a tank. They seem like they can take some real abuse before kicking the dust.

Now, I do feel that these cans are my first real step into the world of Hi-fi. I really don't have anything to compare with these. It's a new bracket of audio quality that's new to me.

I thought I'd share my experience, as someone just entering into this level of audio reproduction. I'm happy with my purchase. What a fantastic product.

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #764 of 1,486
Now, I do feel that these cans are my first real step into the world of Hi-fi. I really don't have anything to compare with these. It's a new bracket of audio quality that's new to me.
Could you mention some of the best headphones you've used up to this one, so we can get a better idea what you're comparing to? Thanks!

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #765 of 1,486
Could you mention some of the best headphones you've used up to this one, so we can get a better idea what you're comparing to? Thanks!
Sure thing, My most recent are ATH-AD700 previously I owned ATH pro700mk2. Before that, rather generic cheap ones.

as I stated. I'd have to say this is my real first step into the hi-fi world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back