Verum 1 (One) Planar Magnetic Headphones

4.75/5,

• Verum-One-Planar-Headphones-Ukraine-Verum1-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-28.jpg

VERUM 1

Welcome Verum 1, our debut product.

Each time, we start a new project - we're a thinking about people who will be using it. So for whom Verum 1 is made?

No doubts, that our firstborn is an audiphile product - open planar headphones, big over-ear design, premium materials. But our main goal is to make an audiophile grade product available for any music lover.

For sure those headphones will benefit from a Hi-FI source & amplifier, but you can run them from the good smartphone or quality player without any problems.

Specifications:
    • 82 mm membrane made from 8 um mylar film

• 96 db sensitivity

• 520 grams

• 8 ohms

With a help of audio enthusiasts that beleived me I've launched crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter and that made my dream come true - I've started to produce headphones. Right now Verum Audio produce only debut model - Verum 1.

Recent Reviews

1. ngoshawk
    Verum Audio Verum 1: The story of one.
    Written by ngoshawk
    Published Sep 8, 2019
    Pros - Build.
    Gorgeous wood.
    AFFORDABLE.
    Adjustable system.
    Sound with quite good clarity.
    Future purchase...
    Cons - Adjustment is a bit convoluted.
    No case.
    Thin cable.
    Hello Kitty look when wearing (could be a positive to some...)
    Can't wait for V2...
    Verum Audio Verum 1: The story of one. ($349)

Verum 1 website: https://www.verum-audio.com/products
    TTVJ site: https://www.ttvjaudio.com/Verum-1-Planar-Headphone-p/ver0000001.htm

[​IMG]

I thank Todd for yet again coming through on a loaner tour for a product. He is a fabulous benefit to the audio community, and the Verum 1 is a very nice unit (not giving too much away yet…).

A Kickstarter project started as a result of one man deciding “he would do that differently,” the Verum 1 is the fruition of that vision. The first product from Verum Audio by Roman from the Ukraine, the Kickstarter funded well from Aug-Sept, 2018. Running independently now, the Verum 1 is sold direct or through TTVJ. The model sent is of Zebrano wood, replete with silver cup covers. And to be honest, look the best from the pictures of the three options. Good choice.

After taking some critiques from owners over the heat content of the pads, Roman designed and now sells perforated, angled lamb’s wool pads for an additional $25. Early reviews point to those being positive. Distribution problems tend to be diminishing as more are sent out. A positive Kickstarter with a (mostly) happy ending.

Specifications:

• 82 mm membrane made from 8 um mylar film
    • 116 dB\V or 96 dB\mW sensitivity
    • 520 grams
    • 8 ohms

Gear used/compared (all prices USD unless specified otherwise):

Campfire Audio Cascade ($800)
    HiFiMan Ananda ($999)
    Mr. Speakers Ether C Flow 1.1 ($1600)
    Sendy Aiva ($599)

Coldplay-All I Can think About Is You
    Coldplay-A Message
    Coldplay-White Shadows
    Dona Onete-Sonos de Adolescente
    Los Lonely Boys- Heaven (en Espanol)
    twenty one pilots-Trees
    Ziggy Marley-Lighthouse
    Ziggy Marely-See Dem Fake Leaders
    Mark Knopfler-Laughs And Jokes And Drinks And Smokes
    Santana w/ Mana- Corazon Espinado

The new twenty one pilots album, Trench
    Big Head Todd-Beautiful World
    Tedeschi Trucks Band-anything

Unboxing:

Well…no offense but there isn’t one. The headphones came bubble wrapped along with the cables. That’s it. So, make it a surprise when you order. No case comes with them that I know of, but the unit should fit comfortably into a Mr. Speakers or equivalent case.

Fit-n-Finish:

Other than the Zebrano wood, my first look was at the cup holding metal strap. Sturdy, but looking like an old fogy imitating that Japanese music video of the young lass wearing cat-strapped headphones, thankfully the fit is good, and sound is better than those dime-store catphones. The metal strap is thick and serves to cant-in the headphone giving good pressure upon ones ears. Not overly pressurized, but on the snug side. Not as much as the Campfire Cascade, but snug. And, not quite as comfortable as my Sendy Aiva either. That said, long sessions worked and worked well.

A tensioning bolt mechanism on top serves to allow the two sides to swivel independently, giving good fore/aft swivel and fit. MUCH better than that abhorrent HiFiMan modeling. Free to swing on the horizontal point 360 degrees (without the cable), gives more fit comfort as well. This is a snug comfortable fit, with the pads fitting well over my ears. The overall unit is fairly heavy, but the fit allows one not to feel it like you would expect.

[​IMG]

The Zebrano wood looks stunning. Coupled with the silver face plate, the look is quite elegant, belying the price point. The brushed aluminum face plate does show scratches, but if this was my pair, it would not. I akin this to the handling and shipping from the tour. Quality is good, very good. A mix of industrial and nouveau, the dark wood offsets the silver well, with the black hardware tying all together. A thick pleated black leather headband fits underneath, cradling the cranial matter well. By adjusting the bolted-on knobs up you are dropping moving the headband up, and thus the cups down. Not much movement, but I was comfortable with and without a hat at the same spot. I do wish the cups had a bit more of that gorgeous wood, but the brushed silver is not offensive in the least.

A thinner-than-normal cable rounds out the wares. 2.5mm plugs on the headphone lead to a looonngg separation above the splitter. No cinch strap, but I do not mind. Rubberized above, and fabric-wrapped below, the cable ends in a stout plug of the 6.35mm variety, complete with screw-off part changing it to a 3.5mm single end. Instead of the typical plastic protective sleeve, there is a 1” long bendable spring material as strain relief. A nice tough. The cable tangles a bit, but never in the way. Nice work.

Sound (including initial):

Upon arrival, I immediately hooked them up to my Shanling M5s to check all was OK. It was, and quickly I realized the Verum 1 needed more power. Harder to drive than many headphones I have heard, I could get it to work with DAP’s, but it really needs an amp in that situation. Plus, there is little isolation (it is open after all…) so I could hear the TV intrusion more so than the sound coming out to the outside world. An interesting if annoying twist.

Further thy dwell:

Once I had time for a longer listening session, I began to appreciate the sound. Bass is present enough to make you understand that while this might be a planar, it is there. Not Cascade-like, but respectable. Mellow mids bring forth a warmer-mid of which I like. No stress up top either. All seemed to be good, save the cat ears as supports. One could arguably craft some cat ears like you see at budget stores and put on the supports. I personally would not mind, since the sound is what I am after. Plus, this is not one I would take out and about. Since it isn’t portable, I would not recommend it anyway, so who cares!!

I find the sound intimate and narrower than many I have heard of late. I do not find this bothersome, but it can be claustrophobic to some. This would not bode well for orchestral movements, which almost require cavernous-sized sound stages to appreciate. It isn’t bad mind you, but others have mentioned the narrowness, so I would be remise If I did not. I still like it, and that narrow stage did not bother me. I focus on other aspects, which help me more.

[​IMG]

Layering is pretty decent for a sub-$400 headphone, and planar as well. Not as good as the more expensive models tested below, but again that smooth mellowness shines through. This is not a headphone, which would be used to pump you or your attitude up. No, it is for those mellower times where you have a quiet place in which to listen as well as the appropriate music. Blues, Jazz, Reggae, and others will suffice as they all sounded superb through the Verum 1. I appreciated Artie Shaw through Tidal on the 1’s. I listened to Ziggy and it was good. I liked how Big Head Todd & The Monsters sounded on Boom Boom with John Lee Hooker and of course Crazy Mary. All was well and good, and quite presentable.

Comparisons:

Verum Audio Verum 1 ($349) v Campfire Audio Cascade ($800):

I’m not sure this is a valid comparison, but I did it anyway. The connection? Both companies approach the audio market with a passion to innovate and provide a top-quality product at an affordable price. Albeit different price-points, but the comparison is valid for that passion. The Cascade is a bass-heavy closed-back headphone of which I am very fond. That thunderous bass can overwhelm for sure, but it draws you in completely. That bass surrounds you and envelopes you. Of course, part of that could be the clamping pressure as well. That is about the only fault I can find.

I find that the Cascade has a bit better clarity as well. Maybe a better description would be separation of layers are more easily picked apart. Not that the Verum is off or bad, but you can definitely tell the price difference here. Plus, the stage is a bit wider on the Cascade. Intimate comes to mind with the Verum, but that isn’t bad. Both have their values, and I appreciate both approaches. Mids on the Cascade are a bit more forward and could become tedious at louder volumes to some. The Verum is definitely the more laid back of the pair.

Verum Audio Verum 1 ($349) v HiFiMan Ananda ($999):

From memory this one will be. The Ananda was my first foray into full-sized headphones from HiFiMan. I will openly admit I do not like the fit. Period. To not have some sort of rotational adjustment along the vertical plane of the gimbel is to me unacceptable. You ruin the evenness of pad pressure, and unless the pads are built for that extra pressure up front, the whole chamber of sound changes (I am not sure and might be openly criticizing something of which I do not know…). Parenthetical aspect aside, I find the Ananda acceptable sound wise, but not something that overly excites me the way the Verum does. When one considers the price, I can definitely accept the Verum, and spend the extra cash on a quite good amp.

The Ananda did have a bit better clarity as well, with a bit lower reach of bass. I count this to the design and history of making planar’s as the deciding factor. Wider of stage as well the Ananda would be more appealing to me at the $500 price point.

Verum Audio Verum 1 ($349) v Mr. Speakers Ether C Flow 1.1 ($1600):

This one is another throw in due to passion. The Ether-C is a passion of closed back headphones as the Verum is the passion of someone who wanted better in a headphone; much the way the Cascade is the passion of Campfire Audio. Therefore, I believe the comparison is again valid.

The Ether-C defines to me what a TOTL closed back should sound like. Clear, layered, sparkle, and exemplary vocals of either gender. Superb is not to be thrown around lightly, but that would most definitely fit. To me these are the finest I have tried this side of the Empyrean. I do not get to listen often enough, and when I do, I wish I had a single malt in hand and a fine Cuban. This is drawing room stuff on the order of a full-fledged home system (to me), and one can easily see the passion that sprouted from the want of raising an already pretty decent Fostex range to TOTL territory. And here again is where I can see and feel the vision of Verum. One man’s passion at sending us his vision, so that we may see the future at hand and wonder what would be next. THAT is the Verum…it gives us a glimpse into a music designer’s mind, much the way a ZMF or Mr. Speakers does. And that isn’t bad in my book.

Listening to Please Don’t Tell Her through the Opus #2 and Ether-C pretty much defines why I love the combination. Clarity, bass which defies what should be there and the sweet melodic voice and guitar. That solo alone is enough to melt. What a combination. The Verum represents itself well, but not as clear. A more mellow sound, one that fits a laid back evening is quite nice as well.

A bit bass- shy for me, I take care in the Ether-C quality of sound, for it is my reference of headphones, which sustains me. And in that vein, all is good. The Verum is an excellent try, and I wonder what will come down the road to either be more affordable (which the Verum 1 is already!) or move upscale.

Verum Audio Verum 1 ($349) v Sendy Aiva ($599):

The closest of the comparisons, the Sendy was much to do earlier this year as the Verum is now. Both affordable, both from small vendors trying to branch off and make a name, and both overall gorgeous at which to look. I will openly admit the look alone drew me into the Aiva. And through a good listening session, I verified that I did indeed like the sound and found it quite acceptable.

A more veiled sound in the mids hinders what is a pretty awesome package overall in the Sendy. I really fell for this when I first heard it. Call it “new car syndrome.” Once the newness wore off, I started to pick apart what could be better. It is a bit heavy, with clamp pressure of too light variety for me. Bass is “almost there.” Vocals fall behind others in this category, sliding behind the music. Not quite sparkly, but treble of good quality. Good, not great. That said, I find the Aiva laid back in the same manner as the Verum. Wider of stage, but slightly less clear than the Verum; nonetheless the Sendy is a marvel of beauty and sound. If this sound were in a package that cost under $400, this would be a steal. Oh…wait… No, the price is due to the intricate craftmanship and to me worth it overall. I still really like the Aiva and pull it out often for comparative purposes or a listen with that single malt.

Finale:

You might think that the comparisons listed above were unfair, unjust or plain wrong. Well, that is your right as a reader, but I must disagree. In this day, when a newcomer makes the scene, they are expected to compete with the big boys, whether they like it or not. As such, one is certainly justified in comparing to the big boys. Others have made comparisons to manufacturers of which I have little experience. Therefore, it was my due diligence to fill in the missing blanks. And do so, I hope I did.

Comparing with models above can also give reference to where the new company might go or might aim. And in the case of the Verum 1, they have largely succeeded already. This is a very fine unit, regardless of price. And when one brings price into the equation, quickly vaults the Verum to the top echelon of headphones and certainly planar’s…more accordingly affordable planar’s. To think that this can be had for less than $400usd, you would think yourself crazed. There are other offerings at this price, especially ones I may not have experience; but for my experience, the Verum 1 is most definitely one of the top performing models in the sub-$500 price and definitely the sub-$400 market. Off-hand I cannot think of another, which brings all of what the Verum 1 brings to the fight. Excellent build, top quality sound, affordable price, and that quirky cat-support system make for a thoroughly enjoyable unit. One I will miss and may have to find some Hello Kitty pads to go over the gap, should I purchase a pair. It would be worth it.

Thanks again to Todd from Todd The Vinyl Junkie for a glorious opportunity to try gear. He is top notch, and a stellar representative of the audio world we call a “hobby.” Thank you, Todd! And a thank you to Verum for making such a fine affordable representative of the planar variety. Give it a try, I do not think you will be disappointed.

[​IMG]

Big Head Todd & The Monster’s Please Don’t Tell Her closes my time, and this could mean “don’t tell my wife, that I may have purchased yet another pair of headphones”…

2. Dobrescu George
    Thicc, Warm, Detail - Verum 1 (One) Planar Magneti
    Written by Dobrescu George
    Published Jul 5, 2019
    Pros - + Very comfortable, although a bit heavy
    + Good build quality, they can take a beating and come back for more
    + Musical sound, scales really well with the source, excellent detail
    + Average sized soundstage, but with fairly impressive instrument separation and imaging
    + Smooth, Zero-Grain overall sound that is really easy to enjoy and listen to
    Cons - - Default cable is very flexible, but doesn't feel very trustworthy if you'll abuse it
    - Aesthetics are very questionable, not sure if they will ever make good outdoors headphones
    - The very low impedance of about 8 OHMs can drive a LOT of sources into current overdrive and current clipping, needs a pretty good source to play well.
    Thicc, Warm, Detail - Verum 1 (One) Planar Magnetic Headphones Review

[​IMG]

Verum One are the last headphones in the entry-level Planar Magnetic Headphones review series available on the market at this moment, the other two having been HIFIMAN Sundara and Brainwavz Alara. Even so, Verum One stands their ground nicely even against headphones much much more expensive, like Audeze LCD-2C, as we'll see today in the review of Verum One, a headphone priced at 350 USD.

Introduction

Verum Audio sounds like a total newcomer to the audio industry, and for the most part, they seem like it, having been around only since 2016, making them one of the newest companies I had the honor to review a product from, but it also looks like in this very short while they managed not only to produce some really excellent headphones, but also catch the eyes and ears of both other reviewers and fans from all over the world, their Verum One being often referenced as the top of the entry-level Planar Magnetic Headphones series (Which is composed from the Brainwavz Alara, HIFIMAN Sundara and Verum One). One thing to keep in mind when planning to purchase Verum One, is that they are fully serviceable, and that the company will stand behind their products, despite the affordable price, you can expect service as good as you'd expect out of some big players, from this newcomer.

It should be noted that I have absolutely no affiliation with Verum Audio, I am not receiving any incentive for this review or to sweeten things out. This review is not sponsored nor has been paid for by Verum Audio or anyone else. I'd like to thank Verum Audio for providing the sample for this review. This review reflects my personal experience with Verum 1 (One). Every opinion expressed is mine and I stand by it, the purpose of this review is to help those interested in Verum One find their next music companion.

About me

Packaging

First things first, let's get the packaging out of the way:

[​IMG]

Okay, so this time, there's nothing here. They come in a cardboard box, and my pair came wrapped in protection, but there was no actual package. As far as I understand, newer pairs will have some kind of package, but what you get is the headphone, and the cable. That's it. And for 350 USD, the price of Verum One, I'm not disappointed at all, you do have everything you need for using Verum One.

What to look for when purchasing a Midrange Headphone

Technical Specifications

82 mm membrane made from 8 um mylar film
    96 db sensitivity
    520 grams
    8 ohms

Build Quality/Aesthetics/Fit/Comfort

Before we talk about their build qualities, I want to catch your attention with the impedance of Verum One, they are one of the lowest impedance headphones in the world, and they have a low sensitivity as well. This means that they require you to turn up the volume quite a bit, but many Amplifiers are not designed to handle such low impedances, and may enter current clipping. This is very important, because you may think that the headphones have something, but they're working perfect, it is usually the amplifier that has a bit of trouble handling them. This being said, even most smartphones should be able to drive Verum One just fine.

[​IMG]

Now, ack to our usual, the build quality is a tank. Those really are made with tons of metal, very resilient-looking components, and generally feel like they can take any beating you'd throw at them. Not only this, but the adjusting mechanism, while a bit barbaric in appearance, is very secure. The earpads are of very high quality, soft, the leather / pleather feels very nice while you're wearing them, and the entire headphone feels like a true gem in terms of build quality.

Now the aesthetics are something else entirely. As I pointed out in my Youtube Video, they are one unique headphone in terms of aesthetics, and they add something like "cat ears", or little horns, or whatever you'd like to call those. The point there was that the headphone is a touch heavy, so Verum went with a design where the only part touching the top of your head is a very soft headband instead of the metallic frame. In practice, this feels very comfortable, even a bit more comfortable than Sundara's, but you can also tell that Verum One is heavier still. I'm the kind of person who goes to Comic Conventions and such, but I am not sure if I'd consider Verum One everyday outdoors headphones, so I'll be considering them desktop headphones instead.

[​IMG]

The fit is absolutely beautiful. Although the cups are not the largest, my ears fit inside very well, the earpads are super soft, and the headband is soft and has a thick padding, making the headphones sit very comfortably on anyone's head. Furthermore, they also seem to give a few dBs of isolation, and at least compared to Sundara, they leak a bit less, making Verum One quite an interesting Open Back headphone.

The cables are detachable, but they are based on 2.5mm connectors rather than 3.5mm jacks, so aftermarket cables need to be designed either for Verum One, or need to be designed in this size. This means that the cables from Sundara won't work, and neither will cables for Alara, or other headphones that use the 3.5mm jack for their plug.

[​IMG]

The default cables are very soft, very flexible and they do not present microphonic noise.

Overall, Verum 1 are excellent headphones, both in terms of comfort, fit, and build quality. The aesthetics will be a bit personal, so I'm not going to complain about those much, but this is a headphone that feels really nice and is built really well.

Sound Quality

Most of the sonic impressions have been taken with pretty high-end DAC/AMPs, and this is because, although Verum 1 can be driven from very low powered sources, at least in theory, it really really scales well with high-end sources, like the McIntosh Amplifier you keep seeing in my photos, which made a really sweet pair with them. This being said, that AMP is about 50.000 USD, so I'm not going to go too deep into my pairing part, since Verum 1 is a 350 USD Headphone.

[​IMG]

The overall sound of Verum 1 can be described as super sweet, thick-ish, warm, musical, playful, Zero-Grain, smooth, yet well extended, with good instrument separation, excellent control, zero distortions in the bass, and pretty natural overall. The soundstage size isn't the largest, but the good instrument separation and overall imaging makes a really good slightly intimate experience. Since sound is a bit relative to your reference point, if Sundara would be perfectly neutral, Verum One is a tad dark-ish.

The bass is very full and deep-reaching, and is one of those very well controlled bass, but which has good body and extension. It reminds me quite a lot of LCD-2C's bass, but somehow it feels a bit more natural, and places a more natural body to music, where LCD-2C places a bit too much emphasis on the body of the music. Verum 1's bass is the kind of bass that reaches so low you forget this is a 350 USD Headphone, and makes you go "wow". Indeed, this is a properly tuned Planar magnetic headphone bass, but the beautiful part here is that it isn't too far forward, or too much in your face, so the bass doesn't drown out the rest of the music.

The midrange is pretty interesting, although my understanding has been that Verum One had some things in common with LCD-2C, especially in terms of tuning, there are some large differences in the midrange. The most evident one is that the midrange of Verum One is more even, with the peak in the upper midrange / treble being tuned in such a way that Verum 1 sounds more open, more airy and more extended than LCD-2C, which was sometimes criticized for being too lush, too laid back, and too dark. Here, I can't quite critique Verum 1 in any way, they have just the proper amount of both upper midrange, lower treble, and treble, to sound natural.

The treble of Verum One is mostly smooth, a grain-free experience, with just enough sparkle to be interesting, but with enough smoothness to stay clean and relaxing. They are mostly laid back, so you can't expect a bright tuning, like Sundara, the treble relative to the bass and midrange is not enough to give me a permit to call Verum One bright, but it is enough for me to not call Verum One Rolled Off. The peak of the treble for Verum One is in the 8-10 kHz area, which makes them prone to being splashy, but the treble doesn't get splashy either (I consider splashy treble slightly desirable), and it could be said that Verum One has a bit too little body in the treble, but the grain-free experience sure is sweet.

[​IMG]

Overall, Verum 1 makes an excellent demonstration of how a sweet, lush, slightly dark-ish, clean, open and controlled headphone should sound like.

Desktop Usage

Given their weight, shape and size, and also their aesthetic design, you're most probably going to be using Verum One indoors, and especially since they're open back, you're most probably not likely to take them on a walk. This being said, if you decided to do so, they'd be quite excellent for that.

[​IMG]

Now the overall desktop usage is pretty much excellent. We have a headphone that is comfortable, has good build quality, and is easy to drive. Even so, it grows with your source, so you can connect it to high-end sources (DAC/AMPs), and you'll hear a better sound, making them quite excellent for desktop usage, where you have the best of your equipment available.

Verum One tends to prefer high-end sources as well, sounding much better if properly amped, and if we think about it, this makes sense, since they are 8 OHM in impedance, which is a difficult load for most amplifiers, and they are also low efficiency, making them rather power-needy.

Otherwise, they don't leak quite as much as most open-back headphones, so you could use them in more situations than an open-back headphone that leaks more, they isolate a bit from the outside noise, making them quite nice to use even when there is some noise around you, like random chatter, or an air conditioner running in the background, or a computer rendering a video. The only aspect of them that would make them slightly uncomfortable is the weight, which is a bit high, but in light of this, the headband is pretty thick-ish padded, and you won't have to worry about this much.

The cables are not microphonic, and Verum 1 doesn't have any issues in terms of usage, making them a really nice headphones to use regardless of what you're doing, and if you can put up with their weight and aesthetics, you could easily take them out for a walk.

Comparisons

The main competitors I'm comparing Verum One to are HIFIMAN Sundara, Brainwavz Alara, and Audeze LCD-2C, as all of them are reference headphones, and either relevant to this review, or in a similar price point to Verum One.

[​IMG]

Verum One vs Brainwavz Alara - Brainwavz Alara is a sweet, dark-ish, lush and natural sounding headphone, just like Verum One. In fact, let's start with the build quality and comfort, because this will make things simpler. So, the build quality is very similar, although Verum One feels like they could take a fall better than Alara. Verum One will work much better for a small head, than Alara, which is known to not work very well for small heads. The overall comfort is similar, Verum one is a tighter fit in general, and a bit heavier, but also has thicker and softer padding and earpads. Alara is much easier to drive and doesn't scale as much as Verum One. The sound is similar between the two, and if you'd like one, you'd most probably like the other as well. The largest differences are in scaling each, because when connecting both to a really good source, Verum One tends to reveal more detail, be more controlled, more impactful, and more musical, but with an entry-level source both sound quite similar, although in general Verum One tends to sound a bit thicker and more lush, where Alara tends to be a touch more neutral.

Verum One vs HIFIMAN Sundara - Sundara is a delight to talk about, now that I know it so well and understand it so well. Starting with the comfort, Sundara is quite a bit lighter. But Verum One is softer in general, and sits more like a heavy pillow on your head. The actual sound is much brighter and more neutral on Sundara, and much more lush, deep, natural and thick on Verum One. Both are rather excellent headphones, and I'd say that if you like Metal, Sundara in general makes an interesting offer, although if you like low-reaching bass, impact, depth and a lush signature in general, Verum One should probably be your choice.

Verum One vs Audeze LCD-2C - Audeze LCD-2C is the kind of headphone you always wanted but never really knew, or at least the kind of headphone you always liked after you first heard. Now, Verum one tends to have a similar sound, and the main reason most people take a liking to LCD-2C easily is that they are really laid back, and easy to listen to, so regardless whether you put on some metal, or some classical, music sounds fun and romantic. This being said, LCD-2C is also a bit too textury, or too dry, thing which can be corrected by using Roon and the Audeze EQ profiles you can find in Roon. Otherwise, LCD-2C is the kind of headphone I could easily recommend often without worrying that the person won't like them, as long as that person likes a dark and full signature. Verum One takes things, and makes them even better. Although they scale, Verum One is easier to drive. Although they are heavy, the headband is more soft on Verum One. Although they are both dark and lush headphones, Verum One is even safer, being so natural that where LCD-2C has received criticism from people who found them maybe a bit too dark or too lush, Verum One never received such critique, simply put Verum One took the best from LCD-2C and implemented them in a sound that's not only easy to listen to, but also very clean and clear, and, most important, for about ⅓ of the price. Overall, I'd say to test Verum One and to give them a chance, I can't guarantee that they'll necessarily be more to your liking than LCD-2C, but if they are, you're at ⅓ of the price and with a sound that's really sweet in a similar fashion.

Recommended Pairings

For the pairings part of this review, I have chosen Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Wells Milo, and iBasso DX220 (AMP7). All of those are flagship grade sources, but Verum One is best paired with a very high-quality source for the best results. They are similar to Sundara in this aspect, as Sundara is also really hard to squeeze the best from and sundara also scales incredibly much with the source.

[​IMG]

Verum One + iBasso DX220 (AMP7) - DX220 with its AMP7 is the least I'd recommend to fully understand Verum One portably. Of course, not only Verum Audio recommends, but I have managed to enjoy them out of one of the lowest cost, most simple sources in the world, my Xiaomi Mi Max 3 smartphone, but man, does having a better source improve the sound of Verum One. The trick here is that Verum One requires quite a bit of power to sound their best, having a very low efficiency, and DX220 with its AMP7 has one of the highest power ratings for a portable, being able to offer not only control, but also depth, extension and impact to Verum One, and also being able to make them go really loud, being one of my favorite pairings for Verum One. AMP7 tends to be very wide, which compliments the average size of Verum One's soundstage quite well, making them much larger and more open sounding than with more intimate sources, which works really well for any musical style.

Verum One + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ - Now, the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ pairing is one that I'm writing after the one I wrote below, about Milo, and I gotta say, for me personally, I think that Brooklyn is a bit more neutral, overall Milo is the more musical one, while Brooklyn DAC+ is the wider, more analytical one, although it is also more light and snappy. Verum One tends to shed away some of their thickness and weight and replace them with more speed and resolution, the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ works really really well for Metal Music, and for more aggressive music, like faster EDM and such.

Verum One + Wells Milo - Wells Milo is a very interesting Amplifier for desktop, and I have to admit, in this instance it was being fed the DAC signal from Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, so this is a very expensive setup, but man, I love the way it can control verum One, and the most important aspect of this pairing is how sweet and musical Verum One can get. Milo is also able to extract a degree of transparency you won't hear often out of Verum One, the kind you usually see from properly AMPed 2K USD headphones. The pairing sounds musical, deep, controlled, clean, crisp, airy, wide, clear, and very dynamic / punchy. Overall, this is a sound that really doesn't shy away from what a flagship setup tends to sound like. Of course, the fact that Verum One has a low efficiency is a good indicator that this setup was going to sound very nice. Pop, slower music, dance, electronic, pretty much everything that's musical, including classical and large orchestral, is a true delight with this pairing.

Value and Conclusion

It has been a real treat reviewing and talking about Verum One, but so has been listening to them and enjoying them. This is a headphone easily worth their 350 USD asking price, if not twice that, relative to what other headphones cost for their performance. This being said, I love seeing better and better quality at more affordable prices, as this makes the overall music listening experience better for absolutely everyone. The thing to remember about Verum One is that they are easily worth their asking price, and relative to both Sundara and Alara, they are quite excellent and make good competition to the other two really good Budget Planar Magnetic headphones.

[​IMG]

Starting with the build quality, we're looking at a tank, a headphone made almost with parts from cars and tanks, and although this means that there are no chances of them ever breaking, this also means that they are quite heavy, so in terms of comfort, you have to keep in mind that they are the heaviest of the Sundara - Alara - Verum series, although their headband and earpads are probably the most comfortable of the series as well.

[​IMG]

The sound is a sweet and lush one, slightly dark-ish, but with excellent low reach, excellent control, average soundstage size, but good instrument separation and pretty good stereo imaging, with pretty airy treble, and natural overall midrange, and with a very grain-free overall presentation. This is the kind of sound that I could also call musical, for 350 USD being one of the most musical headphones I heard to date.

[​IMG]

Verum One also makes it to Audiophile-Heaven's Hall Of Fame for being such an excellent champ, and will probably stay there for a good while, as Verum have impressed me with their build quality and nice sound, and for a very affordable price. Let's keep in mind that having a Hall Of Fame is both about having excellent products, but also about having products that deliver such amazing price / performance ratios that you'll want to keep listening to them, and to forget what you paid for, Verum One being one of those headphones where you won't even remember that they were just 350 USD after you will really get them paired with a good source.

[​IMG]

At the end of this review, if you're looking for a lush, natural, deep, airy, zero-grain, fun headphone that will be pretty darn musical, which is comfortable, and which scales very well with a good source, you should totally check out Verum 1 (one) from Verum Audio, as they may very well make your daily headphone for a long while to come.

Product Link (no affiliate links)

Full Playlist used for this review

While we listened to considerably more songs than those named in this playlist, those are excellent for identifying certain aspects of the sound, like PRaT, Texturization, Detail, Resolution, Dynamics, Impact, and overall tonality. We recommend trying most of the songs from this playlist, especially if you're searching for new most, most of them being rather catchy.

Tidal Playlist

Kishida Cult - High School Of The Dead
    Dimmu Borgir - Dimmu Borgir
    Breaking Benjamin - I Will Not Bow
    Thousand Foot Krutch - The Flame In All Of Us
    Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
    Infected Mushroom - Song Pong
    Attack Attack - Kissed A Girl
    Doctor P - Bulletproof
    Maximum The Hormone - Rock n Roll Chainsaw
    Rob Zombie - Werewolf, Baby!
    Escape The Fate - Gorgeous Nightmare
    Dope - Rebel Yell
    Crazy Town - Butterfly
    Silverstein - My Heroine
    Memphis May Fire - Not Over Yet

I hope my review is helpful to you!

---

Contact me!

---
      jaco61 and George Taylor like this.
    1. ChesterYonany
      i just heard those at a friend's house with his setup, they sound amazing!
      but im worried that my Modi2\Magni2 wont do justice for them, what are your thoughts about this?
      i dont want to upgrade my combo, only my headphones which are HFM 400i.
      ChesterYonany, Aug 18, 2019
      Dobrescu George likes this.
    2. Dobrescu George
      @ChesterYonany - At this point, if you liked them better than HE400i, yout setup should be able to drive them pretty well! :)
      Dobrescu George, Aug 19, 2019
    3. ChesterYonany
      its just that i heard the Verum on his setup, which is very expensive.
      i guess i will give them a try, TY.
      ChesterYonany, Aug 19, 2019
      Dobrescu George likes this.

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!