General Information

Verum-One-Planar-Headphones-Ukraine-Verum1-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-28.jpg

VERUM 1

Welcome Verum 1, our debut product.

Each time, we start a new project - we're a thinking about people who will be using it. So for whom Verum 1 is made?

No doubts, that our firstborn is an audiphile product - open planar headphones, big over-ear design, premium materials. But our main goal is to make an audiophile grade product available for any music lover.

For sure those headphones will benefit from a Hi-FI source & amplifier, but you can run them from the good smartphone or quality player without any problems.

Specifications:
  • 82 mm membrane made from 8 um mylar film

• 96 db sensitivity

• 520 grams

• 8 ohms

With a help of audio enthusiasts that beleived me I've launched crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter and that made my dream come true - I've started to produce headphones. Right now Verum Audio produce only debut model - Verum 1.

Latest reviews

Aibo

Head-Fier
Verum 1 MKII – Flagship Sound, Midrange Pricing
Pros: Quick and resolving
Neutral tonality
Exceptional value
Cons: Headband adjustment takes time
So here’s the thing, being completely honest I’ve never even heard about Verum 1 until the brand founder Igor contacted me asking if I would be interested to take a listen. A quick search revealed very interesting-looking headphones, designed and made by a small manufacturer in Ukraine some two years ago. But this is a second iteration carrying the same name, so to avoid confusion I used MKII to distinguish this version from the older one. Now, if you’re familiar with iiWi reviews’ at all, you probably know that I like discovering new things and great deals more than listening to yet another mass-produced product by a proven and big brand – with pricing that follows the reputation. Igor was very expedient so Verum 1 arrived quickly after our initial contact.

Build and Comfort​

Verum 1 is not a small and lightweight headphone. There is a lot of metal used in their build so they can’t be. On the positive side of that is that they feel very reassuringly hefty. Also, the size is well used and earpads are big and elongated so they perfectly encapsulate even my big, almost elvish, earlobes. Earpads are also very soft which makes for great comfort overall, at least as far as my head goes. I definitely used them for few hours at a time, without any sort of discomfort. Worth mentioning is that ear pads are removable and very easily so. You just need to pull them off the headphone shell, since they’re attached to it magnetically. It’s a simple and elegant solution that makes me wonder why we haven’t seen this anywhere else before.

The headband is made of peace of genuine leather with stitching. It both looks great and feels very soft and comfortable. The headband height is adjustable by unscrewing the knobs that are holding it attached to the metal rails. This is easy enough but it’s not something that you can do quickly on the go. I don’t find this problematic since headphones are usually a personal item, serving one master, but it’s worth mentioning nonetheless. On a positive note, this means that there is no way for your adjustment to get loosen accidentally, which can happen with most designs.

The cable is also detachable and 3.5 mm jacks are used for that purpose. There’s one on each side, so you can easily use balanced cables if you wish so. With more and more head-amps having a balanced output option, I find this feature very important.

Verum 1 213s.jpgVerum 1 209s.jpg

Sound​

Verum 1 is a fast and precise sounding model. Starting with the bassline, it is really quick and nimble. But don’t get me wrong here, this doesn’t mean it won’t go as deep as you need it to when asked. Try playing Fading Sun by Terje Isungset for example and you’ll witness the glory of the deep and pulsating sub-bass that Verum 1 is capable of. The mentioned quickness actually comes from a very tidy and well-controlled midbass that never exhibits signs of bloom or spills into the midrange. There is a hidden warning here too – if you like your bassline overemphasized and spilling a little into the mids, making them warm and fuzzy, these will probably not be your cup of tea. That said, the midrange is well-balanced, rich, and revealing. Its revealing nature starts with crisp edges and transients but continues with the rich tone texture. Both vocals and instruments sound natural and immediate while brimming with details. The highest spectrum is well extended, recreating the air around the instruments and atmosphere from the recording with ease.

All that said, Verum 1 still manages not to sound overly analytical or bright. I’m very sensitive to sibilance in vocals, but there is no trace of it here, proving that open and revealing sound doesn’t have to come with such nasties if tuning is done right, and in this case it is.

Moving to the soundstage and things are good. These are not particularly wide-sounding, with the presentation being more immediate than spacious. That said, layering is still great and the separation of instruments is done masterfully, with each one being clearly etched in its own position. Finally, dynamics are great too, and Verum 1 sounds very agile and lively, with great punch and energy.

Verum 1 211s.jpgVerum 1 210s.jpg

Pairing​

At first, I hooked Verum 1 to a price-appropriate DAC/AMP combo consisting of Loxjie D30 (used as a DAC only) and Topping L30 head-amp. Together, these two cost just a touch above 300 US dollars. This proved to be a very reasonable combination with plenty of drive and a respectable amount of details and layering. Then for the sake of testing, I turned to a very affordable E1DA Power DAC V2 and that was again a surprisingly good sounding combination, proving that you don’t need to spend a fortune to get a really good sound from these headphones. Finally, I hooked them to a Topping D30 pro and A30 pro combination to test how far would Verum 1 scale, and to my surprise, it scaled exceptionally well. Already impressive bassline started to pulsate with even more energy and speed. The same goes for edges and transients that became even crisper and more energetic.

So if you pair them with a lower-end DAC/AMP you’ll get very decent results, but bear in mind that going with more up-market sources and amplification, Verum 1 will know to reward it. With pricier Topping combination, even the last bit of softness was removed allowing for outstanding clarity and speed.

Comparison with Hifiman Sundara​

Hifiman Sundara, which I borrowed just for the sake of this comparison, is based on a similar planar magnetic concept. Moreover, they’re also priced exactly the same at $349, making them a very direct competitor. All that said, I found Verum 1 to be superior when it comes to the bassline rendition. It digs deeper and it’s better controlled at the same time, making for quicker and more resolving bass notes. Sundara is similarly resolving in the upper parts of the spectrum but exhibiting a somewhat brighter upper midrange, while Verum 1 offers a more natural balance to my ears. There is no significant difference in terms of the highest spectrum so both offer airy and open sound.

Last but not least, I find Verum 1 to sit more comfortably on my head. And if you happen to have big earlobes the same way I do, you’ll probably prefer their elliptical pad design over Sundara’s circular. All said and done, I preferred Verum 1 and so did my friend who loaned me the Sundara.

Verum 1 212s.jpg

Conclusion​

I didn’t really know what to expect from a small, first-time manufacturer and its product, but Verum 1 exceeded my expectations. Yes, some design details are not as refined as with mass-produced products, but there’s a real sense of quality and dedication to details here. Now add a class-leading sound fidelity that can in many aspects rival models that are twice the price and you’ll get what Verum 1 is all about.

You can’t buy Verum 1 in a local store, instead, they are shipped worldwide directly by the manufacturer. This means that depending on the country, you have to account for some additional costs of import taxes too. But even with those expenses included, I still struggle to find any real competition that’s not costing at least a couple of hundreds more. With that said, Verum 1 gets my highest recommendation.

. . .

All my written reviews can be found at https://iiwireviews.com/

Video review:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hark01
conquerator2
Well written review! I generally agree with everything you said. What an excellent entry into the headphone world from Igor at Verum Audio! I am really looking forward to their next headphone, though the Verum One ticks all the boxes for me personally, with a tonality and timbre that's best in class.

Headphoneus Supremus
The Kings of Timbre
Pros: Lifelike timbre and texture
Excellent tonality
Supreme midrange
Deliciously smooth and even
Good comfort
Surprisingly well built
Very good value for money
Cons: Bass is well-extended but not the punchiest
Treble lacks airiness
Cable is flexible but can cause issues
Wait times
I had purchased my Verum One Mk1.2 in November 2019 and have since retrofitted them with the improved headband. It is the current model, except for the grills which are the original V design.

I find the build quality exceptional for what is essentially a one man operation. Every part of the headphone feels solid and the utilitarian design makes it fairly user serviceable (easy to replace pads, replaceable headband assembly). They weight approximately 493 grams.

The fenestrated earpads are very comfy and feel high quality. The improved headband shaves down some weight and has excellent weight distribution. These feel very comfy on the headband, the pillowy pads and a design without any hotspots or points of discomfort.

These headphones are probably the most tonally lifelike headphone I've owned to date (if you check out my profile, you'll see I've owned or auditioned quite a large amount of headphones). The texture and timbre simply is what it should be and sounds correct. Stringed instruments as well as strings sound woody and have the right amount of warmth. The midrange overall is excellent, female vocals sound extremely good, male vocals do too for the most part, though they can sound a little raspy occasionally, albeit still smooth. Lower midrange has good power and growl and the lower guitar registers sound deliciously growly and lifelike. These headphones handle sibilance extremely well overall and I'd say these are easily the best headphones for relaxed listening. The upper mids - lower treble transition is not emphasized which is the way it should be.

Bass has good extension, excellent texture and decent impact. These are not the thumpiest of headphones and not intended for bass heads. Occasionally, kick drums can come through as a little flat, though that depends on where in the bass region they're centered, as the bass response is flat. Timpani and other big drums have a very good sense of impact though, and in general the sub-bass is also acceptable. Dynamics in general are okay.

The treble is not very extended nor airy, though cymbals and general overtones come through clearly. This is what contributes to their smooth character and though I'd like to hear a bit more air, it does not take away from the lifelike quality of instruments and voices.

The soundstage is quite round and holographic. It has good depth and decent width and can be decently expansive. It can get a little hazy at the extremes,
with hard panned guitars specifically or when there is a lot going on there, though they generally never lose their composure and imaging remains great

Detail retrieval is high in general, and a bit of a unicorn trait, given their great smoothness. These are certainly capable, fine tuned planar drivers.

Vs 400SE - The HiFiMAN HE400SE is their newest budget planar headphone, retailing for a measly $99 (though currently has to be imported from china).
It is among the airiest and most spacious and detailed headphones I've had the pleasure to own, regardless of price.
It has an ethereal, light quality and the soundstage can seemingly extend to infinity. It images spectacularly well too.
The tradeoff is diminished dynamics and weaker bass response which is both less than the Verum.
The upper mids - lower treble transition is also fairly emphasized and can exacerbate sibilance, leading to fatigue. I enjoy them most with instrumental and well mastered vocal music.
If you don't need a lot of bass (and are okay with importing from China) these are certainly very special for the price.

Vs HD560S - The Sennheiser HD560S is Sennheiser's newest foray into well priced, critical listening headphones.
At $199, these can be indispensable to many working in the field.
They have the most coherent bass - midrange - treble response of the three, with extended, impactful bass and present mids and treble.
They are also very dynamic and give the best representation of the final sound while mixing or making music.
The treble is slightly on the bright side, more present than the Verum but a lot less than the 400SE.
They have by far the most intimate soundstage which is not very spacious and can sound congested in busy passages. Imaging is excellent though.
These work great for virtual surround gaming and movies, although the other two can also work well, depending on one's preferences.
They excel at dynamic, engaged listening.

Overall, the Verum is the most timbrally accurate with the greatest timbre, with a middle of the road bass response and smooth treble.
The 400SE is the most spacious, airy and detailed, though at the cost of lower dynamics and bass response.
The 560S is the most tonally complete and dynamic, though detail retrieval remains average and soundstage decidedly intimate.

I'd collectively rate them as below:

Treble - 400SE > 560S > Verum
Tonality - Verum > 560S > 400SE
Comfort - Verums / 560S > 400SE
Build quality - 560S > Verum / 400SE
Value - Verum / 560S / 400SE

I feel that at their respective price ranges, they all represent tremendous value and each possessing a distinct sound signature, they all have their place in an audiophile's staple collection.

IMG_20201105_211916.jpg
IMG_20201228_163500.jpg
IMG_20201228_1635002.jpg
IMG_20210112_151811.jpg
Last edited:
S
Sandiego77
"Bass is well-extended but not the punchiest" Does amp can enhance it?

macdonjh

Headphoneus Supremus
Pros: Sound, Price (US$349), Comfort, Weight
Cons: Funky head band, weird adjustment, clamping force a bit light
Verum Audio
Verum 1 Head Phones

1. Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Verum Audio. I received the pair of head phones I listened to as part of their tour. I was able to listen to them for a week before I was obligated to send them along to the next person in line.

2. Introduction: I actually heard about Verum Audio from my son. He was very interested in the Verum 1, and almost sent money in to Kickstarter account to get on the first production run list. However, he got distracted and bought some IEMs instead. When I saw the tour advertised on Head-Fi, I asked to be added, and here we are.

3. Design: We all know the design: 82mm planar- magnetic open back over-ear head phone.

4. Packaging: The pair I got to try came in the proverbial “plain brown wrapper”, so I don’t know what the factory packaging looks like.

5. What’s in the box? Again, the PBW prevents me from anything but guessing what else comes with a new pair of Verum 1.

6. RTFM: PBW = no manual, but who needs a manual with over-ear head phones anyway?

7. Physicals:

7.1. Head phones: These are quite big, but surprisingly light, at least for somebody accustomed to HiFiMAN HE-500. The padded leather suspension part of the head band is wide and comfy, not that I needed much from it as light as these head phones are. The metal spring part is kind of funny looking. I think it looks like the pair of head-band cat ears my wife had as part of a Halloween costume a couple of years ago. One thing I didn’t like, though, is the head band adjustment. Each side has a knob, but you don’t get to just loosen the knob, slide the head band where you want it and retighten the knob. You have to remove the knob, disengage the leather band, move it where you want it, then slide the pins back into the metal part of the head band and reinstall the knob. Granted, this won’t be a big deal unless you share your head phones with your kid. Otherwise, you get it right once and never touch it again.

7.2. Ear pads: In two words, thick and squishy. They are held in place magnetically, so they are easy to remove and replace. Maybe Dekoni makes suitable replacement pads if you are unsatisfied with the stock pads? I see no reason to replace them.

7.3. Connector, ear cup end: 2.5mm TRS phono plugs. They stick straight forward when you have the Verum 1 on your head.

7.4. Cable: Thin and flexible. Cloth covered to the splitter, vinyl between the splitter and the ear cups. I didn’t give it a rigorous test, but I noticed no microphonics. The splitter is black molded plastic, not the audio jewelry we see from some cable manufacturers, but I didn’t care about that.

7.5. Connector, amp end: ¼” TRS stereo phone plug, single ended.

8. Fit, Comfort, Isolation: I had no trouble at all getting the Verum 1 adjusted to fit my head comfortably, other than the weirdness of having to do minor disassembly to adjust the head band. The ear pads were large enough to allow my entire ear to nestle comfortably inside. Clamping force was light to me. If I bent forward, the head phones would slip off my head unless I held them in place. They were fine for laying on my bed to listen, or to walk around with, though. Isolation is nill. When my son listened to them, he said he could hear everything going on around him. I only listened to the Verum 1 in my bedroom, so I didn’t have any trouble with poor isolation.

9. What I Listened to: Actually, three of us listened to the Verum 1 on their trip to the Third Coast. My son listened to them on his phone (Galaxy S9), my friend Nick listened to them on his Fiio M11, and I listened to them through my Aune X7s desk-top amp. Sam likes mostly the classic rock I like, but also dabbles in metal. Nick is a metal-head, but ranges into all sorts of stuff: EDM, OST, Japanese soundtracks, classic rock, classical, on and on. I listened to a mish-mash of genres but mostly classic rock, ‘50s and ‘60s jazz and big classical (as opposed to chamber music or string quartets).

10. Soundstage: When I listen to head phones, I admit I don’t pay that much attention to soundstage. If I want to pay attention to the details of the performers’ placement, I’ll listen to my living room system. That said, the Verum, to me, always seemed to be between the ear cups. Sometimes, big bass would extend out to the back plates of the ear cups, but everything from the midrange up was generally between my ears. I don’t fault the Verum for that, they filled my head with music.

11. Highs: Treble through the Verum 1 is, overall, a bit subdued. The high frequencies seem to always be emanating from behind everything else, so they are a bit muted. The last bit of sparkle is missing. While that detail isn’t there, the presentation is mellow and relaxed, never harsh (of course, I wrote that last sentence while listening to “Blade Runner” from the ‘2049 soundtrack; a delightfully nasty piece). I did listen to a bit of classical while I had the Verum. Massed violins, like in Mendelssohn’s Midsummer Night’s Dream were rich and satisfying. As you’ll read below, perhaps solo violin will be missing some of the microdetails, but I don’t listen, generally, to small-scale classical music. The flutes at the beginning of the third movement of Mahler’s 9th also stood out. But, there was no listening to the musicians’ “breath” in the middle of the giant orchestra.

12. Mids: Vocals are way up front and hyper intelligible with the Verum 1. I really liked that. Since there’s no free lunch, some vocalists suffered a slimming of their voices. I noticed this with David Lee Roth especially, whose voice seemed to lose most of the “chest”. Guitars, electric and acoustic I think are well served. Perhaps microdetails from an acoustic guitar are lacking, but the overall tone was almost always pleasing. Vibes also sounded good, only lacking the sharp attack of the mallet strike; the resonance was all there. I was worried when I listened to “That’ll Be the Day” by Streetlight Manifesto. The horns sounded terrible. But then I listened to the same track on my HE-500 and the horns still sounded terrible. My fears were fully allayed when I listened to some Dizzy Gillespie and heard good bite in the legend’s trumpet.

13. Lows: Bass performance was tricky with the Verum. One of my favorite recordings is Acid Jazz, by “Boogaloo” Joe Jones. While the tone of Jones’ hollow-body electric guitar was sweet, the electric bass sounded flat and muffled. But, compare this to the electronic bass of one of the newest additions to my collection: Blade Runner 2049 Soundtrack. On this recording the Verum plumbs deeply and rumbles well. Another highlight is Tomasz Stanko, Shape of Things. On this spare recording, some, but not all, of the body of the upright bass shone through the sounds of the other instruments. Back to the lower end of bass reproduction, “Vicarious” by Tool lacked the visceral impact of the toms and bass drums. The foundation of that song felt lighter weight than with other head phones and IEMs I have. My friend Nick, who prizes speed and agility over lowest notes when listening to metal praised the Verum for allowing him to hear all the details in his favorite songs.

14. A word about power: I think the Verum 1 are power hungry. They took almost all my Aune X7s amp had, in high gain, to get loud enough for me. I think I listen at subdued levels typically, though I’ve never made any effort to measure my typical listening level. I couldn’t connect the Verum to my Mjolnir I for want of a balanced cable. This is just something to consider if you use your phone or DAP for most of your listening.

15. Gestalt, Zeitgeist, Fahrvergnugen (and other German words meaning “the whole enchilada”): Overall, I think the Verum 1 are very good for the current price. They will not replace my HE-500 because those are smoother, more nuanced and provide more of the small detail retrieval us audio geeks like. But enough of what the Verum 1 doesn’t do, I was happy to listen to them for a week. As you read above, bass is deep and rumbly even if the transients are a bit soft. Midrange is forward, providing vocals a bit of punch and excellent intelligibility. To me, highs were recessed compared with the mids, but still had good detail and transient response if missing that last bit of sparkle.

One A-B comparison I didn’t get to make, but wish I had: the Verum 1 and the Audeze LCD-X. I got to borrow a pair of LCD-X for a few days and enjoyed having them. They make you sit up and listen to your music. Under the right circumstances I found them compelling. Under different circumstances I found them relentless and fatiguing. In some ways, the Verum 1 is like my memory of the LCD-X with the edge taken off a bit. Not as smooth and polite as my HE-500, but not as in-your-face as the LCD-X.

16. Conclusion: I’ve said it a couple of times, so this will be the last: I liked the Verum 1. I would not hesitate to recommend them to somebody otherwise contemplating Bose or Beats. I’d take him aside, and say to him, “Here, try these; this is what music sounds like”.
Reactions: X1787X and trellus

Comments

lockjaw

100+ Head-Fier
Enjoying my V1s
Nice clean sound, not as dark as most of the Audeze, nice detail on the top end.
Some grain compared to much more expensive flagship planars.
For the price, maybe the best value out there.