Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #286 of 1,486
Well, not quite "the first European planar", since the Meze Empyrean came before the Verum (and its driver, coincidentally, is also made in the Ukraine). :)

Now if only we could get a Meze-Garuspik collab on the next Verum, imagine the build quality and looks those headphones would have. :p (Sadly, Meze would probably never price them like Garuspik likes to price them.)

I think that is almost impossible. I guess that one reason why the Verum 1 is a best deal in the market is that costs of doing business (especially, labor costs) in Ukraine may be significantly lower. Let me put things into perspective.

Country Average Income per person
--------------------------------------------------------------
US $60000
-----------------------------------------------
Romania (Meze) $10800
China (Hifiman) $9000
------------------------------------------------
Ukraine (Verum) $2600
Vietnam $2300
North Korea $1800

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #287 of 1,486
Well, not quite "the first European planar", since the Meze Empyrean came before the Verum (and its driver, coincidentally, is also made in the Ukraine). :)

Now if only we could get a Meze-Garuspik collab on the next Verum, imagine the build quality and looks those headphones would have. :p (Sadly, Meze would probably never price them like Garuspik likes to price them.)

Honestly, Ken is still trying to learn how to listen.
He's really more the camera review guy.
What ive noticed is that both Ken and Z-Reveiws like bright, sharp, nearly SSSSSSSSSSS, treble, a bit more then most of us.
So, if Ken loves it and Zeos loves it, then it must be a bright headphone....:)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #288 of 1,486
Honestly, Ken is still trying to learn how to listen.
He's really more the camera review guy.
What ive noticed is that both Ken and Z-Reveiws like bright, sharp, nearly SSSSSSSSSSS, treble, a bit more then most of us.
So, if Ken loves it and Zeos loves it, then it must be a bright headphone....:)

I think the upper midrange is still smoother than the Hifiman can, so the Verum sounds pretty smooth most of time.
I believe a rise above 10k is much rarer because most tracks (especially acoustic or classical music) do not have much presence beyond 10khz.
Only some electronic tracks or compressed music seem to have noticeable presence above 9-10khz, but not all people listen to such kinds of music anyway.
So when I play just a normal track, the Verum sounds pretty smooth and doesn't sound bright (perhaps because I came from a Hifiman?). You will soon find out. I feel like they don't disappoint you :)

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #289 of 1,486
Romania (Meze) $10800
China (Hifiman) $9000
------------------------------------------------
Ukraine (Verum) $2600
Ehh, I don't know where you're getting that, but it seems exaggerated. Even comparing GDPs (a poor measure of how well most of the population is doing in high-inequality countries as it is) the Romania-Ukraine ratio still doesn't come out that high. A more relevant comparison like wages in PPP dollars (i.e. what you'd be paying workers at a headphone factory) shows only a 1.5x difference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...hly_salary_(adjusted_for_living_costs_in_PPP)

Yet this is not how Mezes are priced vs. Verums. Meze is making the (questionable) choice of positioning itself among the "fashion can" (i.e. costs more than it's worth just because it looks attractive) producers in the headphone world, even while coming from a relatively poor country.

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #290 of 1,486
Ehh, I don't know where you're getting that, but it seems exaggerated. Even comparing GDPs (a poor measure of how well most of the population is doing in high-inequality countries as it is) the Romania-Ukraine ratio still doesn't come out that high. A more relevant comparison like wages in PPP dollars (i.e. what you'd be paying workers at a headphone factory) shows only a 1.5x difference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...hly_salary_(adjusted_for_living_costs_in_PPP)

Yet this is not how Mezes are priced vs. Verums. Meze is making the (questionable) choice of positioning itself among the "fashion can" (i.e. costs more than it's worth just because it looks attractive) producers in the headphone world, even while coming from a relatively poor country.

It is not exaggerated. It is correct and from Worldbank. See here.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD?locations=RO-MD-HU-RS-BG-UA&name_desc=true

I know what you mean when you mention the PPP measure, but gdp per capita PPP is the measure that is adjusted to differences in price levels in individual country. It could be a good measure when it comes to the measure of welfare, but for the actual cost of production we are talking here, the standard measure like gdp per capital would be more relevant.

Anyway, Meze also distributes their products through their dealer network, which would be another reason why they are so expensive. The Verum is just factory direct.

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #291 of 1,486
Frans, China labor cost is very cheap. I don't have to rely on data coz I was there. And those labors can work very long hours for minicule wages. I'm not familiar with Ukrainian wage, but I'm guessing it cannot be cheaper than China.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #292 of 1,486
Frans, China labor cost is very cheap. I don't have to rely on data coz I was there. And those labors can work very long hours for minicule wages. I'm not familiar with Ukrainian wage, but it cannot be cheaper than China.

Ah. I didn't know that. That may be true.
But I heard that many factories in China are rushing out and moving to Vietnam recently, because Chinese labor is not really cheap these days.
Frankly I don't know how much workers are getting in those countries. I am just guessing from data.

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #293 of 1,486
I think the upper midrange is still smoother than the Hifiman can, so the Verum sounds pretty smooth most of time.
I believe a rise above 10k is much rarer because most tracks (especially acoustic or classical music) do not have much presence beyond 10khz.
Only some electronic tracks or compressed music seem to have noticeable presence above 9-10khz, but not all people listen to such kinds of music anyway.
So when I play just a normal track, the Verum sounds pretty smooth and doesn't sound bright (perhaps because I came from a Hifiman?). You will soon find out. I feel like they don't disappoint you :)

Im excited to find out.
And given the choice between "rolled off highs", vs "slightly etched treble", then i vote for the extra top end.
I usually use a Monolith AAA 789, or a Headroom Max, or a Oppo SE -BDP 83 to power my Cans, and all of these tend to create a smooth tonality inside a set of headphones.
They are all very dynamic signal senders, but, none of them has anything "harsh" coming out of their output stage, which is probably a good sound cocktail to be sending into what could be, a set of slightly treble etched headphones. ???????????
Don't know yet.......but soon.
Its all good.....:)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #294 of 1,486

Gentlemen, the very first planar magnetic was designed and manufactured by British Wharfedale in the 1970s. Fostex, Yamaha and German PMB soon followed.

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #295 of 1,486
Frans, China labor cost is very cheap. I don't have to rely on data coz I was there. And those labors can work very long hours for minicule wages. I'm not familiar with Ukrainian wage, but I'm guessing it cannot be cheaper than China.
Gentlemen, the very first planar magnetic was designed and manufactured by British Wharfedale in the 1970s. Fostex, Yamaha and German PMB soon followed.

"everything old, is new again".

"nothing new under the sun".

"vinyl makes a comeback"

"lets all start at the beginning, now that we've reached the end".

"im just a copy of a copy of a copy, of a copy". (Trent Reznor).......

"when in doubt, steal someone else's idea and add your Name" = "new product"".

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #296 of 1,486
I can say that to my ears Verum 1 is a planar version of HD650 - I do not particularly like dynamic HD650 - but planar tuned like it is a different story
V1 also reminds me of HE560 (first version) also scales up very good with better (more juicy) amps - so in that respect old school ;]

Do I like it? Yes.
Do I think those are worth the (KK's early birds) price? - Yes.

Are they perfect - NO.

From early Cyberman (Doctor Who - tiny.cc/uqth5y) looks - and heavy weight ( but comfortable ) to being musical but not very exciting ( same as HD650 )
Smooth but not very detailed - So very much down to user taste. For me I have more HPs. Some of them technically better some of them more musical and even couple better in both aspects.
Currently my V1 is shipped to a friend in UK - He wants to keep them - I might let him (if he offers something exciting in exchange ;]]]]]]) - we will see

I will also agree with franz12 HEKse is better but the question if it is 10 time better is a question of size of ones wallet and how much one can/ is willing to pay for life with less compromises.

To finish I will say that I am really looking forward to Verum 2

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #297 of 1,486
@Garuspik
Why don't you send some units to Sonarworks to have measure them? Their headquarter is located fairly close to your business, so shipping back and forth wouldn't be really expensive.
I know that Sonarworks publishes calibration profiles publicly only for headphones that show little unit-to-unit variation.
Assuming that the Verum has almost zero unit-to-unit variation, I think results will be exceptional.
Not everyone uses their software, but it is increasingly popular. Also, I heard that some people claim that the HD800 with Sonarworks' calibration profile can compete with a $3000 setup. Yes, the Verum is much smoother than the HD800, but I think the Verum can also benefit from a few adjustments.
If I downsize my rigs, the Verum will be my top choice. I don't see any reasons why it cannot compete with a 1k+ colored headphone.

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #298 of 1,486
I can say that to my ears Verum 1 is a planar version of HD650 - I do not particularly like dynamic HD650 - but planar tuned like it is a different story
V1 also reminds me of HE560 (first version) also scales up very good with better (more juicy) amps - so in that respect old school ;]

Do I like it? Yes.
Do I think those are worth the (KK's early birds) price? - Yes.

Are they perfect - NO.

From early Cyberman (Doctor Who - tiny.cc/uqth5y) looks - and heavy weight ( but comfortable ) to being musical but not very exciting ( same as HD650 )
Smooth but not very detailed - So very much down to user taste. For me I have more HPs. Some of them technically better some of them more musical and even couple better in both aspects.
Currently my V1 is shipped to a friend in UK - He wants to keep them - I might let him (if he offers something exciting in exchange ;]]]]]]) - we will see

I will also agree with franz12 HEKse is better but the question if it is 10 time better is a question of size of ones wallet and how much one can/ is willing to pay for life with less compromises.

To finish I will say that I am really looking forward to Verum 2

I have no idea how you can say they’re like the planar hd 650 which are known to be mid-ranged focused, with extra mid bass, and a smooth top end. And then say they also sound like the HE 560 V1. The HE560 is one of the brightest headphones that Hifiman has ever made, and while it has great mid bass quality, it lacks quantity.

I’ve never heard the Verum, but I’ve owned the hd650 and he560, and they sound nothing alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back