VentureCraft Go-Dap GD-04 for iPhone 4
Jun 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #16 of 161
i do wonder about the hires capability and whether it can be switched off, iphone isnt capable of playing hires without crack and i'm not sure even then if it upsamples. so i suggest you just keep the high spec model bit-perfect rather than upsample so the spec reads well. i would also rather spdif on coax than optical

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #17 of 161

Quote:
Very interested. Please advise me on the following questions:
1) Is this unit only for iPhone 4? Not for 3gs, 4th and 3rd Gen iPod Touch, and iPad?
2) Does the headphone output take the analog signal from the dac of Go-dap or from the dac of iPhone?
3) what are the dac chip and the opamps?
Thanks.

1) I am pretty sure this doesn't support the 3GS/3G (but afaik, they have made an earlier version for these iPhones)
2) Donno, but but would guess DAC of the iPhone
3) Donno either :p

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #19 of 161
Thanks Jonasklam,

I should have specifically ask VentureCraft / Go-dap to answer my questions. We are speculating after all (I would guess the same as you said but that is just speculation). I think only VentureCraft / Go-dap can answer these questions. Thanks.

Quote:
1) I am pretty sure this doesn't support the 3GS/3G (but afaik, they have made an earlier version for these iPhones)
2) Donno, but but would guess DAC of the iPhone
3) Donno either :p

Originally Posted by zzffnn 

Very interested. Please advise me on the following questions:
1) Is this unit only for iPhone 4? Not for 3gs, 4th and 3rd Gen iPod Touch, and iPad?
2) Does the headphone output take the analog signal from the dac of Go-dap or from the dac of iPhone?
3) what are the dac chip and the opamps?
Thanks.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 161

Hi, everyone!

To answer your questions

1. Unit4.0 is only for iPhone4.

2. Unit4.0 receives digital signal from iPhone4 and convert the digital signal to the analog signal through the DAC (Analog-to-Digital Converter) loaded on the device, then outputs analog signals to a headphone/earphone by amplifying the signal with a headphone amp.

3. DAC Chip: AKM http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/
    Ope-Amp: Burr-Brown http://www.burr-brown.com/

4. Unit4.0 decodes the digital data in several formats coming from iPhone4 into PCM format.
A sampling rate convertor loaded on Unit4.0 changes frequency response as all in 48kHz within the decoder then the DAC converts 48kHz/16bit into analog signals.

Thanks!

VentureCraft

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #21 of 161
erm DAPVenturecraft, i think you should realize that this forum is probably a bit more savvy than your average forum. telling us that the dac is made by akm and the opamp is made by burr brown/texas instruments, tells me nothing. both companies make nice sounding, appropriate products and stuff that sounds like utter poo.

when asked here what dac and opamp, its a specific question of what model dac chip and what model opamp. is the dac chip a ladder dac, sigma delta dac, 32 bit dac, upsampling or non oversampling. is the opamp a fet input opamp with unity gain buffer, or bipolar input opamp. is the digital transfer from iphone asynchronous or isochronous endpoint etc etc.

ok so thats probably a bit more technical than the average user here, but there will be some that want to know more and even those who dont really understand will want to know the details so they can go and get the research done so they do understand

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #23 of 161
hehe wasnt meant to be harsh, just real feedback. I also didnt expect you to furnish me with answers to all those specs, although we both know quality sound is all in the implementation of the chips. the opamp model and dac chip assignment shouldnt give away anything of your design and even then depending on the implementation, that doesnt say much either. both companies have massive catalogues, thats all. its an intriguing product and i'll keep my eye on it for transport duties.

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #26 of 161
At least now we know what DAC and OPAMP the GD-04 is using.

DAC - AKM AK4353
OPAMP - JRC MUSES8820E

Hmm... the headphone out is also the optical output...

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #27 of 161
Is the Go-DAP 4.0 available in the US yet and if so what is the cost and how do we order? I was VERY VERY pleased with Go-DAP for my Iphone 3GS and now that I am ordering a 4S I would love to have some info on how to purchase one of these for the new phone. Thanks.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #28 of 161
Did they mention the ETA for availability in the US before?

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #29 of 161
Hmmmm...I've had my Go-DAP for about 4 days now and when I bought it I had to sign a form to say I'm testing and have to provide feedback. Now that iOS5 is out (and I've heard problems of iOS5 with CLAS), I'm assuming the Go-DAP & HP-P1 will have the same problems. Chances are these will probably have to be fixed before going for an international release.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #30 of 161

Is final design, or they will still change the prototype?

That volume knob seems to big in the pictures.

So far, how it compares against hp-p1?
Quote:
Hmmmm...I've had my Go-DAP for about 4 days now and when I bought it I had to sign a form to say I'm testing and have to provide feedback. Now that iOS5 is out (and I've heard problems of iOS5 with CLAS), I'm assuming the Go-DAP & HP-P1 will have the same problems. Chances are these will probably have to be fixed before going for an international release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back