Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM
Sep 7, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #455 of 662
@Hisoundfi, would you say the Dukes are a natural upgrade over the GT100s? Bearing in mind I know you think the latter is pretty rad in its own right. Been waiting for a used pair of Dukes to pop up but haven't seen one so far.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #458 of 662
I don't understand the need to use an amp with easy to drive IEM's. What kind of amp would be good for it, one that output 30mW? I mean I also do it but the amp is always too powerful, isn't that in the nature of an amp?

I also don't see the problem with listening at 9-10 o'clock on the volume, what's the difference between that and listening at 12-13? I personally don't sit and play around with the volume pot while listening to music, I put the volume where I need it and enjoys the sound.

Just my2c.......

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #459 of 662
I don't understand the need to use an amp with easy to drive IEM's. What kind of amp would be good for it, one that output 30mW? I mean I also do it but the amp is always too powerful, isn't that in the nature of an amp?

I also don't see the problem with listening at 9-10 o'clock on the volume, what's the difference between that and listening at 12-13? I personally don't sit and play around with the volume pot while listening to music, I put the volume where I need it and enjoys the sound.

Just my2c.......

peter123:

I can easily hear an improvement with many amps over a DAP. Whether it's just sound sig or sound quality is an endless debate. Let's just say it's nice to have different flavors that aren't always easily replicated by EQ - unless you're Joe Bloggs, that is :wink:

So, now that we've decided on an amp, the problem, as I see it, is if the volume pot gets accidentally turned, BAM!!! Way too loud, way too quickly :eek:

This is especially a problem with amps with a large, easily turned volume pot. I've nudged RA accidentally into uncomfortable territory more than once, and I certainly know better. That's why I started using it with my DX90, which has a variable line out. Now I can use it with Duke from 9-11 o'clock, fine tune the volume much easier, and not worry so much about accidentally nudging the volume up.

End of blah, blah, blah about an amp in the Duke thread...

Isn't it about time we start a RA thread? ClieOS? If not, I volunteer :L3000:

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #461 of 662
peter123:

I can easily hear an improvement with many amps over a DAP. Whether it's just sound sig or sound quality is an endless debate. Let's just say it's nice to have different flavors that aren't always easily replicated by EQ - unless you're Joe Bloggs, that is :wink:

So, now that we've decided on an amp, the problem, as I see it, is if the volume pot gets accidentally turned, BAM!!! Way too loud, way too quickly :eek:

This is especially a problem with amps with a large, easily turned volume pot. I've nudged RA accidentally into uncomfortable territory more than once, and I certainly know better. That's why I started using it with my DX90, which has a variable line out. Now I can use it with Duke from 9-11 o'clock, fine tune the volume much easier, and not worry so much about accidentally nudging the volume up.

End of blah, blah, blah about an amp in the Duke thread...

Isn't it about time we start a RA thread? ClieOS? If not, I volunteer :L3000:

Yes I understand what you're saying and like I said I do it myself but I really don't see any problem with it. Maybe I've been lucky enough to never accidentally turn the volume knob that much up so something gets broken.

I also wonder if that 30mW amp will give the same improvement in sound.....

What bothers me most when using amps with easy to drive IEM's is background hiss.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #463 of 662
Maybe I'm just clumsy peter123 :wink_face:

Ha ha, that was not what I meant :)

If it had happened to me I'm pretty sure that I'd be more concerned about it was what I wanted to say :wink:

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #464 of 662
Isn't it about time we start a RA thread? @ClieOS? If not, I volunteer
L3000.gif

Please do.

Will add that my RA doesn't seem to suffer any EMI issue nor a loose volume knob. Beside the battery bay seems a bit tight, everything is fine.

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #465 of 662
Isn't it about time we start a RA thread? [@=/u/11725/ClieOS]@ClieOS[/@]? If not, I volunteer :L3000:

Please do.

Will add that my RA doesn't seem to suffer any EMI issue nor a loose volume knob. Beside the battery bay seems a bit tight, everything is fine.

Cool. I'll try to get a thread opened tonight.

My volume isn't loose, per se. It just doesn't have as much friction as something like my Fiio amps, which are very hard to accidentally nudge up or down.

I certainly don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill here. It's not a major issue - just a suggestion for iterative improvement IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back