1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM

First

Back
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
Next

Last
  1. Aero Dynamik
    That sounds a bit disconcerting! Too much detail seems to have a negative impact on resolution. Anyway, that's my experience with the JVC FX850 which I got rid of for that very reason. It's like a picture with exaggerated contrast. You can see everything very clearly  (very sexy for a minute or two) but it hurts your eyes.

Anyway, for a number of reasons I do look forward to hear this phone for myself. I've had a few TOTL IEMs (see my profile) but the only one I've kept so far is the Carbo Tenore. The IEMs remaining as well as my only over ear headphone are on sale. The Carbo Tenore is far from perfect, but its tonality is very close to perfect, and if I can get anything near the Carbo Tenore with more impact/note weight then The Duke is more than welcome. I feel pretty excited about hearing them!

Bananiq likes this.
  2. Hisoundfi Contributor
    Runabout!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-runabout-portable-amplifier/reviews/13947

3. nmatheis Contributor
    Just had to be the first, didn't you ;p
    :vulcan:

4. Hisoundfi Contributor
    LOL, didn't even think of that.

Your stuff is up next!

5. nmatheis Contributor

Coolio, bro!

Yeah, I was going to start Duke + RA today or tomorrow. Thought I might have the first one up, and then BAM! Along comes Vince :wink:
    :beerchug:

6. Brooko Contributor

Interesting.  My take is a little different - especially around the gain area. The last thing I'd be using the Runabout with would be sensitive IEMs. It's the one area I think needs a lot of improvement.

7. Hisoundfi Contributor
    Ya, it's my first day off in a looooooong time! I finally have some time to chop away at the review pile! It was starting to get a little overwhelming! It still kind of is! LOL

Cheers buddy!

8. Hisoundfi Contributor
    I noted the sensitivity in the review. That along with the fact that it can be very touchy with a more powerful DAP.

9. Brooko Contributor

I just thought the whole high / low gain wasn't correctly implemented.  Low gain is too high - and high gain isn't enough difference to warrant the change.  Trying to use it with a dedicated line-out was a problem with sensitive IEMs.  Good amp, and really decent first release - but a lot of things could be improved on.

10. nmatheis Contributor
    Perhaps zhibli06 can comment on why VE implemented low and high gain the way they did. Perhaps there are technical reasons that support the implementation?

What I will say is if you've got access to a good variable line out like the DX90 has, this point is moot. Put VE RA in High Gain and set iBasso to 225. Volume is really easy to control, the battery lasts forever, and it sounds great. Kicks my Fiio amps to the curb - even E12 DIY with relatively expensive OPA627 :blink:

Pair it with my Fiio X5, and volume control becomes an issue. However I've said this before - I don't think it's really any worse than something like the Cayin C5 in this regard. C5 is an absolute beast when it comes to driving power. I can only use it between 2-3 on the volume dial with IEM and HP that are easy to drive before it gets to ear implosion volumes. VE RA is very similar in this regard, and there are plenty of people who're quite happy using C5 with IEM. Personally, I wish both amps had lower gain for ease of use with easy to drive HP & IEM.

11. nmatheis Contributor
    Hisoundfi: Just read you review. It's another good one, Vince. My experience mirrors yours with one exception. I get very noticeable intermittent EMI buzzing with my iPhone 5s. I let Lee know, and he wasn't surprised. Sounds like YMMV with different smartphones.

12. Hisoundfi Contributor
    I will keep an eye on this thread and if others confirm I will edit the review.

Happy to say I have had very little if any EMI with my LG G3 and WiFi capable sources I've tried.

13. nmatheis Contributor

It doesn't happen a lot but is noticeable. I *think* Brooko noticed it with his iPhone, as well - whereas ClieOS didn't seem to notice it with an Android phone.

It's not a major concern for me, as I do t plan on using RA with my iPhone.

14. Hisoundfi Contributor
    Maybe it's noticeable on iPhone and not on Android?

15. nmatheis Contributor

Yup, that's exactly what I was getting at :wink:

BTW, if you've got the VE Asura buds, give 'em a listen with the RA. Nice!

First

Back
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
Next

Last