Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Sep 11, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #62 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullphi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was very sad when I read this initially, but I couldn't just take it as fact. I ordered a set of DT250 earpads and they fit! They are obviously made for a *slightly* smaller can, but they fit without me feeling like I was going to tear the material -- though I had to turn the lip inside out to get it on right. In my estimation they took the same amount of force to put on as when I swapped the pads on my Senn HD-25-1 II.

I noticed no real thinning of the bass or harsher highs. However, I thought the sound was essentially the same when switching from pleather to velour on my HD 25s. Although this could have been clouded by my absolute hatred of pleather.

So, if anyone is still on the fence with these velour pads -- buy them!

Very interesting, thanks for checking that out/opting to buy a pair! At the store, I think the guy's main concern was that if I tried to force them at all, I would rip them, and he would have to order in a replacement set of pads. That's great that they actually fit though. I'm assuming you cut your own screen to cover the speakers though, since DT250 pads do not come with any, and the screens for the M50s are glued to the pleather pads (unless I'm mistaken?).

And also, great how it hasn't changed the sound.

Pics would be lovely
atsmile.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #63 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpticElement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting, thanks for checking that out/opting to buy a pair! At the store, I think the guy's main concern was that if I tried to force them at all, I would rip them, and he would have to order in a replacement set of pads. That's great that they actually fit though. I'm assuming you cut your own screen to cover the speakers though, since DT250 pads do not come with any, and the screens for the M50s are glued to the pleather pads (unless I'm mistaken?).

And also, great how it hasn't changed the sound.

Pics would be lovely
atsmile.gif

The pads I bought came with screens (a little small, but they do the job). Here is the link to those: Beyerdynamic DT250/DT280 Replacement Earpads | Sweetwater.com

Here are a couple pictures:

Hope this helps
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #64 of 441
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Wow finally. So they don't change the sound? Bass is still strong?

I hate you
mad.gif
. I can't afford to buy anymore stuff for a while. At least summer here wasn't too hot. I will definitely get some eventually. Nice find!
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #66 of 441
Awesome! Also aside from SQ, how do you find the comfort? Do the M50s apply more pressure with the DT250 pads on, or the same? Has the space for your ear increased at all?

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #67 of 441
After further listening, I do believe there is a slight change in sound quality. I can't put my finger on it, and it is not negative in any way. The big thing I was worried about was the bass, but it remains very strong. I could do some comparisons, but I really cannot stress how much I hated these headphones with the pleather pads.

I find these much more comfortable with the new pads, but I don't believe the pressure has changed. Also, when I first put them on I felt like my ears had less room. This feeling has subsided over time.

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #68 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullphi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After further listening, I do believe there is a slight change in sound quality. I can't put my finger on it, and it is not negative in any way. The big thing I was worried about was the bass, but it remains very strong. I could do some comparisons, but I really cannot stress how much I hated these headphones with the pleather pads.

I find these much more comfortable with the new pads, but I don't believe the pressure has changed. Also, when I first put them on I felt like my ears had less room. This feeling has subsided over time.

Hey nullphi, I just swapped out my M50s with the same pads you used, and I agree that there was an initial feeling that my ears had less room...that feeling went away after about 5 minutes!
biggrin.gif

I'm all about how comfortable my M50s are with the velour pads though, a world of difference. In fact, the reason I bought the M50s was because I could put the velour pads on them. Thanks for taking the lead on this!!!

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #69 of 441
Okay, here's a few pics of my ATH-M50s with the new velour pads on them, as well as step by step instructions for anyone that needs them. IT's all pretty straight forward though. (This is my first set of cans and the first time I've ever done this, so it can't be that hard!)

Sorry if this is long winded!

3929879828_77a86b516c.jpg

This is the front of the pads...
3929098545_1df6256f32.jpg

This is the back of the pads in the same order as above...
3929098577_1d7f30e4c0.jpg

Here's a pic of just the grill, it's actually two pieces...
3929098619_65216670a3.jpg

A pic of the back of the grill...
3929879982_e469d4ff2f.jpg

Removing the original M50 pleather pad...
3929879944_3f03a37ffb.jpg

Still removing the original pad...
3929880028_b1c7e04e5c.jpg

The original M50 grill...
3929880094_2638a066aa.jpg

The new Beyer dt250 grill, there is a slight difference in thickness and weave...
3929098861_9e9763993f.jpg

dt250 pad held in place just to show size...
3929098827_bcc0b9db10.jpg

Side view of the dt250 pad help in place...
3929880126_e13bab6cbb.jpg

Installing the new grill and velour pad...
3929098929_ba6193e6fc.jpg

This can be tricky, you may have to flip back the edge of the new pad all the way around to loosen it up (I had to do this on the right pad, but got the hang of it by the left one and didn't need to do it.)
3929880220_de6c3baa81.jpg

Finishing up the new pad, remember to hold the pad firmly as you work the new pad into place...
3929880306_090dd5d025.jpg

Congratulations, you've now got an incredibly comfortable set of M50s, go forth, listen, relax, and spread the good word of velour!!!
atsmile.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #71 of 441
Cudos to you guys for going ahead and trying out the pads, and especially to Xyst for posting the instructions. This community = awesome
o2smile.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #73 of 441
Well nullphi was right when he said the new pads sound different...but I also agree that it's not in a bad way at all. The bass is still there, the highs and mids are as you expect them, but the first time you put them on it will give you a head fake for a moment.

When I did an AB comparison between the velour pad on one side and the pleather pad on the other I thought I would hear a difference but when I would A/B the music by placing each side of the phones on the same ear...and low and behold I couldn't really tell any differences that way.

I went ahead with it, the pads were like $18, I couldn't tell a difference when A/B'ing a whole heck of a lot of different tracks, and it's incredibly more comfortable, IMHO. I ordered mine from sweetwater, you could always check their return policy and send em back if they don't work out maybe.

If it makes the decision any better, when you order from them, they put candy in the box with your pads...really, who doesn't like candy?
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #74 of 441
I'm about to get the Audio Technica-ATH-M50's myself, and I was worried about the annoying pleather pads. Thanks to you guys I'll order a set of velour pads and have great SQ and comfort at the same time. Big up people, y'all ROCK!!!!

PS: I'll also get a pair for my MDR-V6's as well.

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #75 of 441
A little late to the party, but would there be interest in custom-made velour or lambskin pads for these? I know how to make either, but am wondering if there would be enough people interested to make it worthwhile to cannibalize a pair, make a pattern, and get some made.

What say you all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back