Velour/Felt Pads for ATH-M50?
Nov 27, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #92 of 441
I just put my pleather ones back on, the sound changed dramatically for me. It's much clearer with more detail. I guess it's related to the mesh of the pads. I think I'm gonna stay with the pleather for the winter when sweat doesn't annoy me as much, and switch back to velour once it gets warmer.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #93 of 441
Quote:

just put my pleather ones back on, the sound changed dramatically for me. It's much clearer with more detail. I guess it's related to the mesh of the pads. I think I'm gonna stay with the pleather for the winter when sweat doesn't annoy me as much, and switch back to velour once it gets warmer.

When i first put them on they sounded different, but i put a plether on one side and velor on the other and could not hear any difference at low, medium, and high volume.

It is alot more comfortable to me with the velors on.
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #94 of 441
I have a M50 in the mail, but I am very intrigued by the velour pads.

I own a pair of AD-700s and love the velour!

For the M50, how does the isolation compare with the pleather pads?

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #95 of 441
just did this mod. the bass seems a bit depressed. sound leaks more now and the isolation is also slightly less. but comfort for me is +100%.
wish i could mod my pleather earpads with just a ring of velour on the side that comes in contact with my skin. that would be perfect. haha

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #96 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would say there is very little isolation compared to the pleather. Also, there is alot of sound that leaks out.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #98 of 441
Hm, I just got mine and TBH I'm kind of disappointed. With the velour pads the bass totally takes over. It seems to lose a lot of midrange too. My first impression was "eew bass". It sounded like the mids were colored too with extra midbass. I even took off the foam grille which does very little, but I think it helps.

Right now I'm listening with the pleather pads, and I think it sounds very similar, except with midrange. The velour pads have more bass, recessed mids, and slightly less treble (I think removing the grill helps this).

I noticed the velours made a very tight seal, maybe as they stretch out it will help. The velour pads are nice and soft, but they aren't that much more comfortable than the pleather. Maybe for wearing for a long time, but the sacrifice of SQ (actually freq. response) isn't worth it. I'm glad I at least tried them, and I'll keep trying them since I only got them like 10 minutes ago, but tbh I think I'm keeping the pleather pads. They sound so much better.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #99 of 441
Hmm... I think I might end up swapping to the DT250 pads on my pair. I'll probably need to replace the pads soon anyway, because the oil and sweat from my skin is destroying the pleather. The part that sits on my hair is fine (looks good as new), but it's immediately noticeable which part of the cup sits on my neck and jaw, as it's badly cracked.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #100 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Been looking into the AD700's for gaming and possibly movies. How do you like them? What's your thoughts for games and movies compared to listening to music?

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #101 of 441
Well, installed the velour pads about half an hour ago. Bass seems to have a bit more presence. Maybe not as much impact as before, but it's hard to tell. Extension seems to have improved a bit.

However, comfort is through the roof. They don't move around on my head as much as the pleather pads, but they're also not hot and itchy.

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #102 of 441
Has anyone tried these with the DT250 pads, but without the foam-grill bit in the middle? Because I wonder if it would improve the detail a bit, after all, any material between the driver and your ears must muffle a little detail right?

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #103 of 441
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm wondering..

I recently tried using my 840 replacement pads (The second set that the phones come with) for my m50's. They fit on, but they turn rather easily if you push them a bit...

So, for a pair of pads to "fit" must they be fully tight and perfect like the originals? Just stay on? or is it okay to be between those two?

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #104 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been looking into the AD700's for gaming and possibly movies. How do you like them? What's your thoughts for games and movies compared to listening to music?

PM Sent, don't want to hijack this thread!

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #105 of 441
My athm50's are about 3 months old, and I bought them from an authorized seller on ebay new. The problem is that I live in Canada, would ATH send me a new pair of pads? The ones I have are really hard in one area
frown.gif
They seem to be cracking. Do you have to pay for the replacement?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back