VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
Feb 11, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #2,956 of 3,324
Most of us have only the Monk for reference....
Wish for more impressions from that base level upwards/downwards :p

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #2,957 of 3,324

Now this is more like it. The stepdance amp brings my new Zen v2 to life. In fact it's stunning. I tried the clip, my Ibasso dx90 and the chord Mojo but although they went plenty loud enough they just didn't sound magical. The clip through the Stepdance sounds great.

Anybody tried a dap that is well matched to the Zen v2. I am thinking that it would need to be powerful enough to drive these 300ohm beauties. Perhaps the cowon plenue range? Genuinely interested.

Ade
I'm still not 100% convinced I like the V2 better than the V1, but I sent them back to trade up to the V2, so can't directly compare. Mostly just back to my acs Encores, only so much listening time...

I was very disappointed on first listen. I think they need a few days finding the right accessories and source to maximize their sound

^^^ AGREE!!!

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #2,958 of 3,324

Now this is more like it. The stepdance amp brings my new Zen v2 to life. In fact it's stunning. I tried the clip, my Ibasso dx90 and the chord Mojo but although they went plenty loud enough they just didn't sound magical. The clip through the Stepdance sounds great.

Anybody tried a dap that is well matched to the Zen v2. I am thinking that it would need to be powerful enough to drive these 300ohm beauties. Perhaps the cowon plenue range? Genuinely interested.

Ade

Any impressions on the Mojo->stepdance->Zen2?

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #2,959 of 3,324

Ade

Have you try Mojo feeded by a phone or laptop?

Some said that not every DAP are good with the Mojo

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #2,960 of 3,324
The Mojo is great with my Nexus 6p as source and also with my windows laptop. It shines with the Beyerdynamic dt1350 but is a little unsparkly with the Zen v2. Don't get me wrong, it is very nice but not quite the match I hoped it would be. I will try the Mojo through the Stepdance tonight.

Have you try Mojo feeded by a phone or laptop?

Some said that not every DAP are good with the Mojo

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,961 of 3,324
Feb 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,963 of 3,324
Lol. Thanks Damian. I'm looking forward to trying it soon.

I suggest you try a Tera! I think it will drive the V2 quite well.....

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #2,964 of 3,324
I suggest you try a Tera! I think it will drive the V2 quite well.....

How would you know????
eek.gif
confused.gif
wink_face.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,965 of 3,324

Ade

The Pono, in balanced mode, works beautifully with the Zen 2.0. Powers it effortlessly.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #2,966 of 3,324
I've tried the zen 2.0 fresh new with a xduoo x3 (+6dB) and i was mesmerized how a earbud can sound like this, its screw*** AMAZING!! the textured quality bass with the sparking refined highs are something i would never expect from earbuds(those nasty things with distorted bass and ear ripping highs with no emotion in mids).  then the piano and voice comes in with beauty and passion.... BOOM, screw off world!!

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #2,967 of 3,324

Ade

I thought they were very good out of the AK Jr. I do not recommend it though, unless it finally gets a good firmware update
frown.gif

L5 Pro can drive them very well but I think it's a little to thick in low mids to be a good match- EQ presets can fix that (Brooko suggested Jazz which is good) but there is no custom EQ yet so its hard to get it just right atm.
SO basically good options but neither until they get updates
confused_face.gif

It is crazy how many DAPs release before they are actually finished.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #2,969 of 3,324
This is my honest attempt to describe the differences between the performance of my DAPs, my headphone amp (the Meier Stepdance) with my new Zen V2 earbud. It does not reflect on the equipment performance with other earphones and headphones (the Sflo2 is awesome with the Beyerdynamic DT1350 but fails big time with the Zen for example). The rating is my preference so take it with the usual caveats.

Mojo (yellow volume level) no additional amping – vocals are reasonably distinct and I can hear plenty of detail. Without hearing the other combos its fine if a little uninspiring but is slightly muddy (seperation not the best) next to the thinner sound of the clip zip or the mojo with stepdance. Rating 7

Mojo (line out setting) with stepdance – much better separation between instruments and voice. Vocals in particular are sharper and clearer sounding than mojo without stepdance but also manages to provide a better bass presence. I can also feel this bass presence in the guitar strings (e.g. the plucked guitar on Fields of Gold). Works well with all music types (Orchestral music likes the separation and bass). Rating 9.5. Awesome combo.  Update (13/02/16):  I have listened to this combo for several hours more and rate it as one of the best portable (if you call a source, dac and amp portable!) setups I have tried.  The Zens are truely outstanding and respond very well to excellence in source and amping. Note:  the Mojo without amplification is fine sounding but doesn't show what the Zens are capable of - the improvements in separation, depth of bass improvements with amplification show both the quality of the Zen and also the Mojo output.

Clip no stepdance (rockbox -7db output level) – Cleaner sounding with Zen than the mojo without the Stepdance – in fact I prefer it I think. Struggles to create impact with Laredo (Band of Horses) when the guitars comes in at the end of the Intro and struggles with Orchestral music but sounds pretty fab with lighter tracks (fields of gold – eva cassidy) Rating 7.5

Clip with stepdance (rockbox 0db output level) – Not as good as Mojo with Stepdance but sounds pretty great (as I mentioned in my earlier post). Vocals and and instruments are slightly thinner sounding than with Mojo with stepdance. Excellent separation (vocals and intruments) – better than Clip alone. Very slightly compressed output compared to mojo with stepdanxe – but sounds pretty great.. Rating 8.5

The following comments are first listens. I will spend more time with the iBasso but not bother with the Sflo2.

iBasso DX90 FW 1.4 (output 255) with Stepdance – quite nice but not as natural sounding as the Mojo (amped or unamped). Rating 6.

Ibasso DX90 FW 1.4 (output 215 high volume switch). Some loss of loss of fine detail and separation and openness compared to the best. I suspect this is a compatibility issue as the DX90 usually excels at this. Rating 6

Sflo2 without stepdance – not nice. No presence – weak sound, muddy and no impact on all song types. I think this isn't a good match. Rating 3

Sflo2 with stepdance (lineout) – vocals nice and separated from guitars. Not as much impact after intro as either clip or mojo. Rating 5

Sflo2 with stepdance (headphone out max volume) – not on the same level as mojo. Similar to iBasso without stepdance. Rating 6

Ade

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #2,970 of 3,324
Just popped Asura 2.0 in my ears and got a big stupid grin on my face. Lee & kk did it again!!!

I can tell these deserve their own thread, so here you go chaps...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/798167/venture-electronics-ve-asura-2-0-impressions-discussion-thread

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back