VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
Feb 14, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #2,971 of 3,324
My short review of the VE Monk:

Quick background on me. I am a pretty casual audiophile and was just looking for some 'good' earbuds (dont like in-ear earphones). I cam across VE when browsing through Head-Fi for Earbuds recommendations. I mainly use my iPhone/Laptop for audio, and without any amplifiers.

Initially I was planning to purchase the Zen 2.0 and even sent Lee a message with my intentions. He recommended going with the Monk first, which I found was very impressive and honest from a customers point of view, since he would be losing out on $140. I received the Monk within ~20 days of my order.

My expectations were fairly low, since it was just $5. All my life I was using either Apple earbuds, or some crappy Sony or Phillips ones. I'm not expert in Audio terminology, but all I can say is I was really impressed by the Monk. The audio sounded so clean, on any device I used it on and any volume. From first impressions, the build quality is sturdy and fingers crossed I wont have any problems with the wire.

My final thoughts are - if the Monk is so good, I cant imagine how good the Asura 2.0 and the Zen 2.0 can be. Are they really that much better than the Monk?

Cheers,

Jammy

PS: Thanks a lot Lee and keep up the great work. I will be recommending VE to everyone I know.

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #2,973 of 3,324
If the pricing is more attractive on Asura and Zen, i believe that it would sell much more. There is no competition for Monk for the price and great entry item to VE product line to get awareness and recommendation.  I would happy to pay $10 without any hesitation. Issue is big price difference between Monk and Asura/Zen. If it was $5 Monk | $50 Asura (x10) | $100 Zen (x20) | $200 Zen Black (x40 times) |, it would make more sense and much more justifiable to upgrade since a lot of people are now getting great taste of Monk and eager to upgrade. Just thought :)

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,974 of 3,324
  I really wouldn't call the bass respone on the Asura 2.0 linear but rather significantly rolled off. The vocals are so sweet though 
gs1000.gif

"more" linear, as compared to the Monk. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #2,976 of 3,324
  If the pricing is more attractive on Asura and Zen, i believe that it would sell much more. There is no competition for Monk for the price and great entry item to VE product line to get awareness and recommendation.  I would happy to pay $10 without any hesitation. Issue is big price difference between Monk and Asura/Zen. If it was $5 Monk | $50 Asura (x10) | $100 Zen (x20) | $200 Zen Black (x40 times) |, it would make more sense and much more justifiable to upgrade since a lot of people are now getting great taste of Monk and eager to upgrade. Just thought :)

[size=13.3333px]I wanna thank you for trying to do my job for me. but seriously[/size]

[size=13.3333px]1st  [/size]

[size=13.3333px]I couldn't care less if the monk users upgrade to zen or not,  I even tell those who wanna get the zen to get the monk instead.[/size]
 and if I could I would have made the monk even better. (trust me we spend a lot more time on this topic.....even than other more expansive stuff lol)

cuz we are not just another HiFi brand, we are also one tinny internet  company,  google could have charged u with all those stuff they offer for free, I can't afford to give the monk to u for free, but  I can sell them for real cheap and make them as good as we can for its intended working environment, then those who like them will then bring our monks to those who they care about., I think that is a very simple , effective,and above all HONEST marketing approach.

2nd

on the other hand, we price our top gear to be the best (at least to me ) in its price range. but there is no need to upgrade if u think about CPR, monk is a better deal~the only thing better than the monk in that department is something u get for free imho. 

but how many headphone / earphone can u use ? we even build the monk to last, so I don't think u need to worry about upgrading, if 50usd or 78usd will make a difference in your book, cuz if I wanna buy something that I like , 28usd will not make any difference for me if I can use enjoy for let say a year.

3rd 

stuff like the zen will suck sooooooo much if u don't have the means (both gear and exp) to appreciate them, and I am not over-pricing them , they are priced in a way that is very very very competitive in its own price range, if u think the black edition is expansive ~ 

well, we are building a new amp, stuff like the potentiometer we r using in them will cost a bit more than 358usd with shipping , even when we buy them in bulk~ should we stop making those cuz they cost too much? I don't think so.

the only thing I might do with the price is to raise them even higher when the time is right , and I am more than happy to know if monk can simply be enough, cuz that only means we are doing something seriously right for that to happen ,and we will make soooooo much more money in the future once you know , we "conquer" the world with this little "traps" lol,

which probably will never ever happen lol
deadhorse.gif
, but current sales of the monk alone can keep me in my job for a very very long time lol, and it is a job I take pride in , I will personal appreciate it a lot if guys can just leave my job to me
size]

My short review of the VE Monk:

Quick background on me. I am a pretty casual audiophile and was just looking for some 'good' earbuds (dont like in-ear earphones). I cam across VE when browsing through Head-Fi for Earbuds recommendations. I mainly use my iPhone/Laptop for audio, and without any amplifiers.

Initially I was planning to purchase the Zen 2.0 and even sent Lee a message with my intentions. He recommended going with the Monk first, which I found was very impressive and honest from a customers point of view, since he would be losing out on $140. I received the Monk within ~20 days of my order.

My expectations were fairly low, since it was just $5. All my life I was using either Apple earbuds, or some crappy Sony or Phillips ones. I'm not expert in Audio terminology, but all I can say is I was really impressed by the Monk. The audio sounded so clean, on any device I used it on and any volume. From first impressions, the build quality is sturdy and fingers crossed I wont have any problems with the wire.

My final thoughts are - if the Monk is so good, I cant imagine how good the Asura 2.0 and the Zen 2.0 can be. Are they really that much better than the Monk?

Cheers,

Jammy

PS: Thanks a lot Lee and keep up the great work. I will be recommending VE to everyone I know.

If I've suggest u to get the monk instead, u might wanna stick with them, till u r ready to get some "brick" first , then upgrade. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #2,977 of 3,324
@zhibli06 Wow, I have not expected answer from owner of the company :) Thank you very much for your detailed explanation and fully respect your pricing decision and direction of the company. Very Well noted. Nevertheless, Monk is amazing and I am enjoying it everyday listen
beyersmile.png
 and am seriously considering to upgrade to higher model.  Wish VE nothing but the best 
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #2,978 of 3,324
Feb 16, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #2,980 of 3,324
  @zhibli06 Wow, I have not expected answer from owner of the company :) Thank you very much for your detailed explanation and fully respect your pricing decision and direction of the company. Very Well noted. Nevertheless, Monk is amazing and I am enjoying it everyday listen
beyersmile.png
 and am seriously considering to upgrade to higher model.  Wish VE nothing but the best 
beerchug.gif

thx man~

try to think of me as just another head-fier here(which I am lol)~ with a lot of temper problem ( which is also true)

if you just got the monk I will say it sounds quite different after 50 hours of breaking-in.

Cheers 

Lee
              Mr LEE

omg.....your avatar changed again lol

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #2,982 of 3,324

If I've suggest u to get the monk instead, u might wanna stick with them, till u r ready to get some "brick" first , then upgrade. 

Thanks for your honest input, Lee. I intend to purchase the Asura 2.0 in maybe 2 weeks. I want to go to the next level of audio-geek, in fact I have been doing some research on Amps etc. I think in few months I will be an entry level Audiophile 
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #2,983 of 3,324
Just got my VE ZEN 2.0 Earbud.
I am feeling heavenly after pairing with my Mojo even it's just out of box.

I feel like, i will never use HD650 again :frowning2:.

Thanks to Headfi community, otherwise i would have never got to know about this awesome sounding 320 Ohms Earbud.

And monk, wow can't believe it's only $5, i am gonna order 10 more monks and gifts to all my relatives and friends :D

I will do a detailed review after full burn in.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #2,984 of 3,324
My Zen 2.0 have also settled in nicely after some burning. It was something like ok, that was good to wow, this is good. HD650 is still in use but giving way to the Zen so very often. Both are keepers for me though I need some adjustments for the right angle now and then with the Zen.

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #2,985 of 3,324
Gotta agree about the Zen's they sound great with almost all types of music, but need a bit of in-ear adjustment from time to time :headphones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back