VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
Feb 10, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #2,941 of 3,324
If you compare both naked (no foams,or other adornments), then the Zen2 to me was a clear upgrade on the original Zen1.  Shows in the measurements too.

If you compare the Zen2 with no foams to the Zen1 with foams, then the two are close, and it depends on what sort of flavour you like.  Zen2 is a little leaner and more spacious.  Zen1 is a little warmer.

If you need the foams for comfort/fit - I would stick with Zen1

If you don't, and like a cleaner, clearer, more detailed sound - I'd switch to Zen2

Personally I'm not a fan of the Zen2 with any cover.  YMMV.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2,943 of 3,324
...so I am listening to the Asura at work a little...they only have last night's burnin, but that is usually enough to get things moving for me. @zhibli06 is there a recommended amount of burn-in time?

Early days, but I am noticing a clear difference between the Asura 2.0, the Asura 1.0, the Zen 1.0 and 2.0 and the Monk. The Asura 2.0 is no longer a little lost between the Monk and the Zen. I can't pin down what the exact difference is here, but initial impression is its in the soundstage and instrument placement. They sound more forward. Dare I say, they appeal to the Grado-nerd in me? Soundstage isn't mind-bendingly wide, its narrower, and has more depth instead, and the treble isn't as smooth as it was. Bass is tight and snappy. Percussion gets your attention quickly and is energetic.

As unappealing as that sounds, it actually works really, really well.

Really....really well.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #2,944 of 3,324
^^^ You tease 
wink_face.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #2,945 of 3,324
  If you compare both naked (no foams,or other adornments), then the Zen2 to me was a clear upgrade on the original Zen1.  Shows in the measurements too.

If you compare the Zen2 with no foams to the Zen1 with foams, then the two are close, and it depends on what sort of flavour you like.  Zen2 is a little leaner and more spacious.  Zen1 is a little warmer.

If you need the foams for comfort/fit - I would stick with Zen1

If you don't, and like a cleaner, clearer, more detailed sound - I'd switch to Zen2

Personally I'm not a fan of the Zen2 with any cover.  YMMV.

Nailed it! I myself like both flavours.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #2,947 of 3,324
I really wouldn't call the bass respone on the Asura 2.0 linear but rather significantly rolled off. The vocals are so sweet though 
gs1000.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #2,949 of 3,324
  So are you saying the bass is not present?

Mid-bass has good presence and they don't sound thin in any way but subbass has very low impact in my opinion. My guess is that bass below 80Hz or something has a deep slope........

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #2,950 of 3,324

So are you saying the bass is not present?

Mid-bass has good presence and they don't sound thin in any way but subbass has very low impact in my opinion. My guess is that bass below 80Hz or something has a deep slope........

Mine is on the way. Ill let you know if i find the same thing.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #2,951 of 3,324
Feb 11, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,952 of 3,324
  ^^^ You tease 
wink_face.gif

So I am about 16 hours in on burn-in. I am not sure this is where the changes stop, but thinking about the time I compared a pair of Sennheiser HD650 to my collection of Grados and Magnums. The Asura 2.0 is tight and snappy, like a pair of Grados. Bass (as folks are noting) isn't the thing here. Its present, but its not the main event. And you aren't going to get rumble. Its just tight and accurate.

This appeals to me. I am one of those Grado-nutjobs. I like to feel like I am "there", not sitting in a padded listening room a million miles away. The Asura does that. I have switched from donuts to full foams for what its worth. With donuts the treble was a little more fizzy.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #2,953 of 3,324

So I am about 16 hours in on burn-in. I am not sure this is where the changes stop, but thinking about the time I compared a pair of Sennheiser HD650 to my collection of Grados and Magnums. The Asura 2.0 is tight and snappy, like a pair of Grados. Bass (as folks are noting) isn't the thing here. Its present, but its not the main event. And you aren't going to get rumble. Its just tight and accurate.

This appeals to me. I am one of those Grado-nutjobs. I like to feel like I am "there", not sitting in a padded listening room a million miles away. The Asura does that. I have switched from donuts to full foams for what its worth. With donuts the treble was a little more fizzy.

Thanks!! I'll order it for sure. Can you describe how cymbals sounds on Asura 2? More like a staccato note or a deeper extension? 

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #2,954 of 3,324

^^This! Every time I put on the Asura's I think about my sr325is. They both have great clarity and sound fabulous with vocals and acoustic music....

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #2,955 of 3,324
Thanks!! I'll order it for sure. Can you describe how cymbals sounds on Asura 2? More like a staccato note or a deeper extension? 

Deeper extension...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back