V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 14, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #136 of 1,343
32 ohms is ideal. Especially for portable audio. The lower the impedance the more efficient the headphones and there is no hard evidence that higher impedance headphones such as the Sennheiser HD800 will outperform those that have low impedance. Example: Edition 8 by Ultrasone is my favorite and it cost $1,500 and impedance is 32 ohms. Grado headphones are also low impedance. Headphones with higher impedance will require an amplifier. I call them the "snobby" kind :)

And amps and dacs applies as well to 32ohms to be justified good/ideal?

Lower ohms means what exactly? More volume? What should I know about it as well?
Does quality upon ohms come from specific drivers in the headphone/dac/amp?

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #137 of 1,343
Quote:
I was incorrect about the X having only 1xDAC. As I found out tonight, the X has 2xDACs too.

However the X having 2-layer PCB vs the Verza's 6-layer is confirmed.

There are a few other differences in board circuitry layout & components used between the two.

Edit: Original post fixed.

So the X also have 2xDACs. I assume that it's identical DAC chips for both iDevice and USB. I still wonder why Verza choose to have different DAC chips for each?

Got an answer from AnakChan. Go-Dap X and Verza have identical DAC circuit.
Quote:
Does anyone know how the bass boost option works for I devices? Is it one step only?

If Verza keep the same setting as Go-Dap X, bass boost will only work for iDevice mode not in USB mode. This is what happen on my Go-Dap X. I don't know that V-Moda will make it work on both or not. 

Bass boost is one step only.

I really like the shadow color of Verza. My Go-Dap X come only in red. I wish I could have that red and black version.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #138 of 1,343
Quote:
Quote:
I was incorrect about the X having only 1xDAC. As I found out tonight, the X has 2xDACs too.

However the X having 2-layer PCB vs the Verza's 6-layer is confirmed.

There are a few other differences in board circuitry layout & components used between the two.

Edit: Original post fixed.

Can you explain to me what are layers and why do they have such an impact? Is it just for dacs? And are we going to be able to utilize both dacs for the iphone 5?

I wanna know

I'm still a complete newbie for PCB design, I'm designing one on EAGLE at the moment, but I think more layers = more flexibility with connections between components/have a circuit board with more connections? I'm probably completely off, but it'll be an educational experience for me if someone could explain this as well.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #139 of 1,343
You usually want a low output impedance on a SS amp so it doesn't interface with the headphone's own impedance curve which often shifts quite a bit with frequency, also helps with damping factor...

I believe a 1/8th ratio is the usual recommendation (so <4 ohm for 32 ohm headphones), you can google all this.

As far as headphones, lower impedance usually means they're easier to drive from portable sources (tho not always) but it doesn't say anything about quality... Calling high impedance headphones "snobby" is kind of a gross oversimplification.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #140 of 1,343
Quote:
I'm still a complete newbie for PCB design, I'm designing one on EAGLE at the moment, but I think more layers = more flexibility with connections between components/have a circuit board with more connections? I'm probably completely off, but it'll be an educational experience for me if someone could explain this as well.

A 6 layer PCB is better for a number of reasons.  It allows shorter traces between components, which helps eliminate radio-frequency interference.  This is also helped by the additional layers providing better insulation and better separating power and signal paths.  They are also more rigid, making them less susceptible to shock/vibration, which helps make them more reliable.  I believe they also dissipate heat better than a lower-layer count board.  

That's how I understand it anyway.  As a disclaimer, I am no EE, so I could be off on some if this.  

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #141 of 1,343
Quote:
.........., I mean the hp-p1 ............. and it only works with the ipod classic. 

Thats twice now you have made this incorrect claim in the same thread.
Please dont state incorrect and misleading information.
Regards.

From fostex manual, you can use hp-p1 as dac with:

Fostex hp_p1 ipod support

Touch 2, 3, 4 G
iPod classic (so 6G and newer)
iPod nano 4, 5, 6 G
iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4

*Also there have been confirmed reports of ipad2, iphone 4s and iphone 5.

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #145 of 1,343
A 6 layer PCB is better for a number of reasons.  It allows shorter traces between components, which helps eliminate radio-frequency interference.
Well, not directly. It's a question of not routing traces on top of each other and having proper ground references on both sides. Shorter traces depends on types of vias used. More layers also helps with length matching. 
This is also helped by the additional layers providing better insulation and better separating power and signal paths.
Yes. Ideally a signal only sees grounds and so to for powers.  
They are also more rigid, making them less susceptible to shock/vibration, which helps make them more reliable.
And also more susceptible to warping and manufacturing tolerances.
 I believe they also dissipate heat better than a lower-layer count board.  
This is a question of total plane layer copper weight and volume. More layers generally helps though.

That's how I understand it anyway.  As a disclaimer, I am no EE, so I could be off on some if this.  
pretty good understanding.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #146 of 1,343
Quote:
Is there any possibility that V-moda will sell the micro to micro usb OTG cable alone?

I wondered the same thing. Portable USB-based audio is exploding, and nobody's really stepped in with a handful of reasonably priced options for USB OTG cables (which I'm assuming this is). iBasso's got one, but that's just one, and Toxic Cables are the only ones I know that sell them. 

Any chance on selling these separately, Val? Or maybe getting a few options with the same kevlar reinforcement your on-ears have? *he said hopefully*

atsmile.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #148 of 1,343
I wonder if VMODA will sell the cables for lighting by themselves. Would love to buy a few. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AQ96U0Y/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1363317846&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #149 of 1,343
Im interested in this product, although I wish they would have more cases available at initial release.  Samsung phones are not hugely popular here in japan and Im not supporting apple ever.  Would have liked to see something more universal or geared towards wider market.  Still Im interested in its comparison to other DAC/AMPs in its price range.  Aesthitically its awesome but if Im going to pic up a product thats $600 plus $100 for a case it better be exceptional compared to what I have.  (Rocoo BA and Ibasso )

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #150 of 1,343
Quote:
32 ohms is ideal. Especially for portable audio. The lower the impedance the more efficient the headphones and there is no hard evidence that higher impedance headphones such as the Sennheiser HD800 will outperform those that have low impedance. Example: Edition 8 by Ultrasone is my favorite and it cost $1,500 and impedance is 32 ohms. Grado headphones are also low impedance. Headphones with higher impedance will require an amplifier. I call them the "snobby" kind :)

HAHAHA!!! awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back