V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Dec 27, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,336 of 1,343
@DrSheep thanks!

Anyone know whether the VAMP VERZA is actually Apple certified such that digital (not analog) can be passed from the iPhone 5 Lightening Connector into the VAMP VERZA without using something like the Lightening-to-USB Camera Connector Kit?  There was mention that Apple certification contributed to its rather high price, but nowhere can I find the definitive statement that digital output from the iPhone can be sent via Lightening to the VERZA.  In fact, the V-MODA VAMP VERZA video (say THAT 5 times fast!) actually seems to sidestep that when it points out a toggle switch that is to be set to the "VAMP" position for IOS devices, suggesting it is taking analog line out stuff and amplifying it.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,337 of 1,343
Vamp Verza is Apple certified as evidenced by this screen cap of page 16 from the official manual which can be found here.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://v-moda.com/content/manuals/vamp-verza-manual-v1-2.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjx6_uXyf3JAhXGeCYKHUf7B_IQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNFVI9wpcGtaOo9Z-NZB6UX9nKZHcQ&sig2=uTWXSsWLJXdRdPOOc-tT0Q

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #1,338 of 1,343

Wonderful!  Thanks so much for tracking this down... I too went through the online manual but did not find that statement that you did.

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #1,339 of 1,343
@DrSheep
 thanks!

Anyone know whether the VAMP VERZA is actually Apple certified such that digital (not analog) can be passed from the iPhone 5 Lightening Connector into the VAMP VERZA without using something like the Lightening-to-USB Camera Connector Kit?  There was mention that Apple certification contributed to its rather high price, but nowhere can I find the definitive statement that digital output from the iPhone can be sent via Lightening to the VERZA.  In fact, the V-MODA VAMP VERZA video (say THAT 5 times fast!) actually seems to sidestep that when it points out a toggle switch that is to be set to the "VAMP" position for IOS devices, suggesting it is taking analog line out stuff and amplifying it.

Yes it is.

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #1,340 of 1,343
I have posted a review of the V-MODA VAMP VERZA DAC/amp and Metallo case here

In short, the VERZA sound is top quality, slightly besting the sound of the Sony PHA-1 DAC/amp and significantly besting the sound of the iPhone 5S directly driving (no VERZA) the V-MODA M-100 headphones that were used in all testing.  The VERZA increases the subbass strength, treble transparency, and soundstage.  The physical mechanism to slide the iPhone, in the Metallo case, onto the back of the VERZA is clever and simple, and the package is extremely small and very attractive, as the VERZA is only a fraction of an inch larger than the iPhone in each direction and makes a compact stack.

Two problems plague the system.  First, if the VERZA battery is discharged fully, for example by playing all night after the listener falls asleep, and then the battery is recharged, the VERZA does not immediately capture control of the iPhone through the Lightening connector.  A random ritual turning VERZA and iPhone on and off, plugging and unplugging, and flipping switches must be conducted.  Once the VERZA deigns to reconnect, it stays connected reliably until the VERZA is again fully discharged, when it seems to lose memory of how it was connected and cannot simply reconnect when powered up.  Phone assistance from V-MODA, while courteous, was unable to solve this problem, which has been reported several times on this thread.

The other problem is with the Metallo case.  I am on my third one in four months.  The track on the aluminum seems to not have quite enough lip on it and either wears or bends during use so that it no longer always holds the iPhone.  The IPhone can drop off the VERZA, only remaining suspended by its Lightening-to-USB connecting cord.  V-MODA has been extremely helpful in sending replacement cases, doing so in advance of receiving my bad one, so that I do not have to wait for the mail to bring a new case without still hanging onto the old.

All that said, I love the VERZA.  It sounds, looks, and fits beautifully.

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #1,341 of 1,343
Thanks for the review. I've been using mine once in a while - I haven't had any trouble with the iPhone frame bending, but the frame slides off the Verza really easily. I find myself wanting to throw a band sound the stack to hold it all in place, but that kind of defeats the purpose. Gotta figure out a slick way to keep the metallo frame from sliding off.

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #1,342 of 1,343
On my Galaxy S3 Metallo case, looping some colored masking tape around the bottom of the slide would hold it tight enough to survive a strong jerk without dislodging. Tape wears out every couple weeks, but it's a quick fix.

Oct 12, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #1,343 of 1,343
did they ever update this in future versions? I have ipod classics below the 6th Gen 160 i planned on using it with,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back