V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
Jun 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #286 of 710
Quote:
iLounge didn't like it.  

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/v-moda-vamp-headphone-amp-battery-pack-for-iphone-4-4s/

Jeremy missed a key point in stating this:

Originally Posted by iLounge /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...Vamp is...running line-level output from the Dock Connector port through the accessory's own audio processor, amplifiers, and 3.5mm audio-out port...

The VAMP does not run line-level output from the iPhone's dock connector. It streams digital from the iPhone and then uses the VAMP's own digital-to-analog conversion.

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #287 of 710
Quote:

Comparing the specs, the VAMP has an improved, stronger battery (2200mAh versus about 1500mAh), higher power output (150mW per channel versus 70mW per channel), a different opamp which was chosen for higher performance, the VQ sound processor is different than the Go-Dap's ASR mode.

As VentureCraft evolved the latest Go-Dap, they sent me pre-production evolutionary units for version change feedback (I probably have four or five of them here). I only first heard the final VAMP earlier this week (but heard a few of V-MODA's pre-production revisions), but the VAMP is clearly the better rig. The noise floor was lowered significantly, and the sound quality has been improved, too. Also, there's more flexibility in terms of which headphones I'd use with it (given the stronger drive).

Hey Jude, thanks!
Would be great to have your impressions =D

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #289 of 710
Quote:
Val, is the VAMP going to be available at any brick-and-mortar shops, or just on-line? If so, when can we look for it in stores?

Yes, we'll make a list soon. Mostly in Hong Kong, China, Singapore, France and Asia as of right now.  We're on a sales tour and there is more to come!

-v

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #290 of 710
Quote:

Yes, we'll make a list soon. Mostly in Hong Kong, China, Singapore, France and Asia as of right now.  We're on a sales tour and there is more to come!

-v

Hmmm... Kind of a bummer for us here in the States.  I was hoping for something here.  One more question... Your specs list 150mw per channel, which is more than double the output of the standard Go-DAP.  How did you increase the output wattage, and does it affect the battery life?

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #291 of 710
Dear Val: I  am so excited by your unique item-vamp, but as you know APPLE is manufacture his new iphone5 to market by the end of sept. and more important is iphone5 make a lot changes of parameter, like size ,dock type, photo attached FYI 

Jun 14, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #292 of 710
Simple.......

V-Moda will sell the limited number of units they have for present owners of iphone 4 and 4s, others may choose to just use their old iphone 4/4s as an ipod (and maybe continue as an iphone too) rather than upgrade to 5.

when the iphone 5 comes out v-moda will design and release the VAMP2 specially for the iphone 5.

I am guessing that as they are a successful international business that they are not idiots and have even started planning for the iphone5, the iphone 4/4S is probably a limited run `test` model but fully functional of course.

Non-disclosure and simple business sense probably prohibits them from saying more about future products.

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #294 of 710

Would you consider the GoDAP with the same specs (i.e. OpAmp OPA1612) as the VAmp as the same thing? If you do I have written my impressions of the GoDAP OPA1612 in the GoDAP thread (posted here previously).

It wasn't a direct comparison but I owned both at one stage. I sold the HP-P1 in the end. The GoDAP (and in my eyes, as such the VAmp) was more detailed whilst the HP-P1 was more warm.

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #295 of 710
Quote:
Would you consider the GoDAP with the same specs (i.e. OpAmp OPA1612) as the VAmp as the same thing? If you do I have written my impressions of the GoDAP OPA1612 in the GoDAP thread (posted here previously).
It wasn't a direct comparison but I owned both at one stage. I sold the HP-P1 in the end. The GoDAP (and in my eyes, as such the VAmp) was more detailed whilst the HP-P1 was more warm.

Thanks.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #296 of 710

V-Moda's headphone amp is also an iPhone case

by Timothy Fernandez |
15 June 2012 6:24pm SGT
  1. 2 comments
  2. Email Print
vmoda_vamp.jpg
(Credit: V-Moda) Is the music from your iPhone sounding a little lifeless? The Vamp could bring your audio back from the dead with a built-in headphone amplifier and digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that bypasses the audio circuitry on the iPhone.
Designed for Apple's iPhone 4 and 4S, the Vamp is also a very solid-looking case that's made from "aircraft-grade metal". Inside, there's a high quality DAC and two 150mW amps (at 32 omhs) to drive headphones of various sizes. A rechargeable 2,200mAh battery powers the setup for up to 8 hours, which isn't very impressive for a high-end headphone amp. It also serves as a backup battery for your iPhone, which will undoubtedly leave you with even fewer hours of music.
vmoda_vamp_flat.jpg
The 3.5mm headphone jack also doubles as an optical output.
(Credit: V-Moda) Other cool features in the Vamp include an optical audio output, which will come in handy when hooking up a hi-fi system, as well as two audio modes. The Pure mode is meant to reproduce audio naturally, while the VQ mode widens the soundstage while adding bass and treble enhancements.
This all-in-one package may sound like a godsend for portable audiophiles, but its price may give you pause. At US$650 in the US, this amp is more expensive than many high-end portable varieties by brands such as ALO Audio and HeadAmp. However, you do get a very attractive package here that should appeal to those who liked V-Moda's True Blood V-80 headphones.
Via Gizmag

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #297 of 710
Ok now that the contest is over I can be honest. This is gonna be a very difficult product to sell, Val. The demographic to which this appeals is still sound first. The similarly priced HP-P1 is 24/192 capable. The cheaper CLAS lacks a headphone amp but deferred cost (assuming most of us already have a portable amp) will have many of us looking at the $70 gap very favorably. I actually had to EXPLAIN the VAMP to someone on your Facebook page, after which he seemed utterly disinterested. I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but I think this is a hard sell at $650, really. Maybe $550...but even then, I'm not sure hat demographic will grasp it. Form factor? Nice, but not all important. Again, most of the demographic this caters to is willing to haul around 3-component bricks. I love V-MODA as a company and I really appreciate the company philosophy, but this is honestly a gamble...

Kojaku

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #298 of 710
Quote:
Ok now that the contest is over I can be honest. This is gonna be a very difficult product to sell, Val. The demographic to which this appeals is still sound first. The similarly priced HP-P1 is 24/192 capable. The cheaper CLAS lacks a headphone amp but deferred cost (assuming most of us already have a portable amp) will have many of us looking at the $70 gap very favorably. I actually had to EXPLAIN the VAMP to someone on your Facebook page, after which he seemed utterly disinterested. I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but I think this is a hard sell at $650, really. Maybe $550...but even then, I'm not sure hat demographic will grasp it. Form factor? Nice, but not all important. Again, most of the demographic this caters to is willing to haul around 3-component bricks. I love V-MODA as a company and I really appreciate the company philosophy, but this is honestly a gamble...
Kojaku

V-MODA fans, don't worry about it as a gamble.  It is a sick product we built for ourselves to use and the elite that get to enjoy it will.   It is by no means meant to be a "mass consumer" targeted product.  It does, however, give us a lot of R&D, vital feedback and proves that V-MODA is gunning to be the most innovative mobile audiophile in the world from all angles.

Trust me, it is a sick product to own and we all LOVE ours dearly.  But we understand it is not a V-MODA product that is for the public pool (I was thinking of an analogy but that is first that came to my head).

PS - VAMP has quickly become among our top 3 selling products and we can't keep them in stock, based on calculations the first two production runs will be out soon as we are selling many in Asia as well

EDIT LINE BELOW, AS OF 7:30 AM TODAY WE ARE NOW #17
#17 of all amps on Amazon USA and rising, yesterday it was #33 so we're up big and rising

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/13880161/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_e_1_5_last

Cheers,

Val 

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #299 of 710
V-MODA fans, don't worry about it as a gamble.  It is a sick product we built for ourselves to use and the elite that get to enjoy it will.   It is by no means meant to be a "mass consumer" targeted product.  It does, however, give us a lot of R&D, vital feedback and proves that V-MODA is gunning to be the most innovative mobile audiophile in the world from all angles.

Trust me, it is a sick product to own and we all LOVE ours dearly.  But we understand it is not a normal V-MODA product that is made for a larger pool.

PS - they've quickly become among our top selling products and we can't keep them in stock

#22 of all amps on Amazon and rising, yesterday it was #33

Cheers,

Val 

Hmm, well that's good that the product is specifically targeted. I love the company and the philosophy, although I can't afford a VAMP right now...glad to see its selling well too :) I guess I'm just a worrywart xD....

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back