V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback
Aug 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #241 of 324
This is true, point noted. I just meant that for a small headphone, the soundstage on the M-80 is pretty good. I would only imagine that the M-100 will be much better and the bigger driver will help. Just my guess but I know where you're coming from.

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #242 of 324
Quote:
In headphone world, 40mm driver size is already plentiful, I'm suprised by how people are like 50mm must be better just cuz it's 10mm bigger. Soundstage differences are probably more down to the cup size and design (venting especially), heck even pad depth makes a difference. But for me as long as it's 40mm or bigger, I don't see it as any advantage. But then again I must mention also that Denon HP700 has a great soundstage size for an on-ear and not overly huge cups and also 40mm drivers.

+1

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #243 of 324
Quote:
This is true, point noted. I just meant that for a small headphone, the soundstage on the M-80 is pretty good. I would only imagine that the M-100 will be much better and the bigger driver will help. Just my guess but I know where you're coming from.

I personally found the M-80 lacking in most departments going as far to say they are the worst sounding headphones I've owned... not being one to give a dog a bad name, I look forward to the reviews of the M-100 as things can only improve for V-Moda.

btw how are you finding you new Audio-Technica ES-10's... you don't seem to be mentioning them and I was kinda looking forward to your findings especially as I have real interest in them.

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #244 of 324
I haven't posted any impressions just yet since I am still getting to know them. But it's safe to say that I'm very impressed and it's a party on my head every time I put them on. The sound is fun and energetic yet refined. The bass is also just how I want it to be - deep with plenty of impact.

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #245 of 324
Quote:
I haven't posted any impressions just yet since I am still getting to know them. But it's safe to say that I'm very impressed and it's a party on my head every time I put them on. The sound is fun and energetic yet refined. The bass is also just how I want it to be - deep with plenty of impact.

cheers for that appreciated... I look forward to your indepth review (on ES10 thread?), these headphones keep sparking my interest, most who own the ES10 really like them.

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #247 of 324
Not that I know of, no. I got mine used by another head-fier overseas. My two complaints are the cable (it seems fragile for such a pricey phone) and the isolation is just okay, not great. Minor complaints but overall a great headphone if you can get it for $300. I'm dying to hear the M-100 and a DT1350 for that matter, to see how they compare. The DTs would probably suit me better since they isolate much better (I mostly use my cans on the commute) but the ES10s are addicting, not to mention rare. Love the form factor also, they're a lot more comfortable than I thought.

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #250 of 324
Aug 14, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #251 of 324
Quote:

Looks quite cheapish to me, maybe it has good sound tho, maybe not but the inner-circumference looks a bit on the smaller side on the pads at the very least despite saying circumaural.

I haven't had the chance to audition them yet, but I've seen them in their retail packaging at the stores here. They are indeed supra-aural, and are as much circumaural as the W55, I suppose.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #252 of 324
Yes, there's that slightly recessed M80s' sound, which can seem a misplaced special effect if you try listening to classical piano or anything with a bright plucked sound (though you feel you've landed in Elysium if you auricle them after the LPs).  They sound better with beat-oriented electronic music, but comparative listening still tends to reinforce one's initial disappointment. 

But there's also a slight graininess to the sound which bothers me just as much.  The M-80s aren't bad, but their audio presentation is not worth $200.

Originally when Val was talking about the M100s, he mentioned that the larger speakers would recreate bass more accurately, which struck me as the right idea.  He also made an odd comment about matching to a pair of HD-600s, which he happened to have with him and mentioned they were "highly regarded on Head-fi."

I quite like Val and respect his attention to the customer, but I don't trust him entirely when he talks about putting out semi-audiophile headphones ("Head-fi meets the real world," in his words).  I still feel he's approaching this as a DJ rather than an engineer and the problem is that he has DJ-idolizing taste.  I remember his saying that other headphones sounded disorienting and alien to him when he compared them to the LPs.  Unfortunately, most of us had the opposite experience:  The LPs were the gateway to that dismal universe, not the headphones to which we compared them.  Most of us aren't living in that soundworld.

Of course people are fascinated by the looks of the M100 -- looks and accessories are where V-Moda has the competition slain.  If you were born anywhere between the mid-70s and the late 90s, a certain image of a matte metal dystopia with pointy edges and grim hardware was burned into you at a defenseless age, and V-Moda is the company that reached through the movie screen to snatch the headphones the tech in the futuristic club happened to be wearing (or, better yet, the deadly adversary who executed him).  V-Moda is the company that handed those headphones to you, and the result is that they scratch a visual itch so hard that some customers are satisfied if the performance doesn't actually demoralize them. 

Factoid is, I'm guilty of that myself.  I love the idea of walking around wearing a pair of M100s. I'm just not sure I'll actually want to listen to them.

The only reason I'd consider buying a pair is because V-Moda's money-back guarantee is completely legit, and because you can see Val's at least trying to bridge the concerns of listeners whom most Tiestosterone-driven bass-obsessed enterprises don't care about.

I expect the Amperiors to come down to a human price in a year or so (as most exorbitant Apple-ready headgear tends to do).  I'll probably buy new portables when that happens, since they look decent and sound like normal studio kit.    

Still, I'm curious to see or hear Jude's contribution to the matte black version of the VTF-100s.  And there's always the chance the M100s will be a thrilling improvement on the M80s, just as the M80s were leagues better than the cavernous reverb muffs which preceded them.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #253 of 324
Quote:
Yes, there's that slightly recessed M80s' sound, which can seem a misplaced special effect if you try listening to classical piano or anything with a bright plucked sound (though you feel you've landed in Elysium if you auricle them after the LPs); comparative listening only reinforces the disappointment. 

But there's also a slight graininess to the sound which bothers me just as much.  They're not bad, but they're not worth over $200.  I think of them as gorgeous imposters.

Originally when Val was talking about the M100s, he mentioned that the larger speakers would recreate bass more accurately, which struck me as the right idea.  He also made an odd comment about matching to a pair of HD-600s, which he happened to have with him and mentioned they were "highly regarded on Head-fi."

I quite like Val and respect his attention to the customer, but I don't trust him entirely when he talks about putting out semi-audiophile headphones ("Head-fi meets the real world," in his words).  I still feel he's approaching this as a DJ rather than an engineer and the problem is that he has DJ-idolizing taste.  I remember his saying that other headphones sounded disorienting and alien to him when he compared them to the LPs.  Unfortunately, most of us had the opposite experience:  The LPs were the gateway to that dismal universe, not the headphones to which we compared them.  Most of us aren't living in that soundworld.

Of course people are fascinated by the looks of the M100 -- looks and accessories are where V-Moda has the competition slain.  If you were born anywhere between the mid-70s and the late 90s, a certain image of a matte metal dystopia with pointy edges and grim hardware was burned into you at a defenseless age, and V-Moda is the company that reached through the movie screen to snatch the headphones the tech in the futuristic club happened to be wearing (or, better yet, the deadly adversary who executed him).  V-Moda is the company that handed those headphones to you, and the result is that they scratch a visual itch so hard that some customers are satisfied if the performance doesn't actually demoralize them. 

Factoid is, I'm guilty of that myself.  I love the idea of walking around wearing a pair of M100s. I'm just not sure I'll actually want to listen to them.

The only reason I'd consider buying a pair is because V-Moda's money-back guarantee is completely legit, and because you can see Val's at least trying to bridge the concerns of listeners whom most Tiestosterone-driven bass-obsessed enterprises don't care about.

I expect the Amperiors to come down to a human price in a year or so (as most overpriced Apple-ready headgear tends to do).  I'll probably buy new portables when that happens, since they look decent and sound like normal studio kit.    

Still, I'm curious to see or hear Jude's contribution to the matte black version of the VTF-100s.

You have a refreshingly interesting perspective.  Regarding the Amperiors, I purchased, owned for two weeks, then returned.  They have a pleasant sound and I loved the blue aluminum earcups, but they lack detail, bass extension and soundstage.  I just purchased Denon D600s and ordered the VTF-100, so I am anxious for a side-by-side comparison. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #254 of 324
Thanks for the kind words.  Yes, I read your comments on the Amperiors, Craigster, and I appreciate your observations.  I just don't happen to agree with certain of your conclusions because it seems that you and I have different concerns. 

I didn't find the HD-25s to lack sufficient detail for casual portable listening, and the bass extension you're talking about only interests me as a panacea for the loss of bass that occurs in dense urban areas (which is the real reason DJ pro headphones sound wildly unbalanced to the rest of us:  They're EQ'd to compensate for club noise and music blasting through speakers -- they weren't really designed to be listened to in quiet environments -- which is also why consumer Beats are such a ridiculous product).

The Amperiors seem only to lack sufficient detail to me when they're priced far above the HD-25 II. Then I do expect MS-2i-level performance.  But as I mentioned, I'd only consider buying them if the price came down.  I'm just not sure I want to walk around with a pair of DT-1350s.

Weigh the bye -- Are you certain it's necessary to quote my lo-o-n-g comment when your post appears directly below it?  I only ask because we're seventeen pages in.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #255 of 324
Scrypt... I'm a little confused are you talking about the M-100 or M-80 or Sony? (no offence)

also don't you think any review that has anything relating to sponsorship etc would be umm err a little biased?... never shoot the goose etc

a sensible & respected head-fi'er recently told me when I questioned his seemingly loyalty to a certain brand (V-Moda) replied in this way, kinda... it's easy for audiophiles to find fault with products as they know the sound that they are looking for, for people who are new to the portable world this is not the case most are into image/style so you try to suggest the best option available, it may not be the SQ that we may look for but it introduces them to the world of sound and one that hopefully they'll want to pursue...

can't really argue with statement as I can remember my first attempts in hi-fi... my selections have got better over the years (head-fi is relatively new to me but I know the sound I want for a portable set-up, just ain't found it...  yet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back