V-Moda / M-100 NON Fanboy feedback
Dec 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #271 of 324
Thanks.  So, price aside, would you rank the overall SQ of the M-100 above that of the Beyers I listed?  Any areas where the Beyers have a better sound?  Will be using them for mostly electronic music.  I might just wait until the M-100 become available on Amazon, order them and do an A/B myself.  But I'm also getting impatient to make this purchase, and the COP are at $150 right now.

I have ordered the M100 and currently have the DT770 Pro 80 as soon as I receive them I will let you know how they compare! Should be before Christmas of you can wait that long!

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #272 of 324
Thanks.  I have been listening to the 990 for about a month now, and enjoying them but the PITA of carrying them back and forth to work, and having to hook the e17 up with them is making me weigh portability more highly than I was originally-- so the k167 and M100 are looking like better options. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #273 of 324
Some non-fanboy feedback. 

1st of all I didn't buy the m100's a friend of mine did and i happened to be able to listen to them, compared directly to the audio technica m50's and my meelectronics m6's (which i carry my sandisk clip zip and headphones in the little carrying case, can't be beat).

The sound signature of the m50's and the m100's seem very close to me. I couldn't tell a discernable difference between the two other than a very slight extension on the bass from the m50's which appeared to drown out the mids at times. 

The detailing and sound stage of the m100's is vastly superior.  It literally sounds like you are actually there.  The m50's and the meelectronics are close, but the muddling they receive in complex music makes me wish for more.

The m50's have better isolation for sound, the m100's aren't bad but they do have some sound leak, but not much.

Size - the m100's are tiny when folded up for an over ear headphone. id say they take up about 25% less space than the m50's.

My friend listened to the m100's for about 30 minutes, then packed up his m50's and, said merry christmas (after talking so highly about them for the last 6 months).

Songs listened to:

Blackest Eyes - Porcupine Tree (m50's received vocal distortion during the first chorus approx, 1:20 into the song, the m100's or the m6's didn't)
Don't Worry Child - Swedish House Mafia (sounded great on all, but the m100's just sounded a lot clearer)
Random other house/edm songs, some rap.

Overall if i had $300 bucks i would purchase the m100's, they are great headphones. However, i barely make minimum wage and will be content with the m50's as a good headphone i happened to get for free (many thanks to my friend).  In other words, if you have the m50's and want a boost in clarity and range, and are looking for an upgrade, the m100's are a very similar headphone.  Sorry i don't have much else to compare to,

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #274 of 324
My non-fanboy feedback.

I bought these primarily to listen to music at work.  The sound is great.  I have the Sennheiser HD280-Pro for listening to stuff at home, and the M-100s sound nicer.  The bass is a little much sometimes but it depends on the song whether it annoys me.

The ear-pads are too small, even my elfin wife says they annoy her ears.  I'm getting used to it though.  There is very little padding in the headband, but it hasn't hurt me yet after listening for 2 hours consecutive a few times. And even though the ear-pads are child-size, the headband starts at 'adult male' and extends to 'Andre the Giant with dreadlocks'.  My wife cannot wear these because the headband is too big, but it fits me fine on the smallest setting.

Trying to remove the metal shields is a nightmare.  The little screws have such shallow heads that the tiny included allen-key is very difficult to use.  I'm going to have to buy a better tool just to remove these and place the custom ones on.

For some reason I thought they came with a boom-mic.  Oh yeah that was because it's not available on their website anywhere to purchase. But even though there was no mic in the box, there is a strangely included set of earplugs.  I know... What?

Would I buy them again?  Nope.  But I will keep them for work, which was their intended use anyway.

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #275 of 324
I don't think they are earplugs. Maybe the plugs that go into the place where the boom mic is as a placeholder so that dust and debris doesn't fall in? Just saying. I am getting these for work as well. I have a set of old crossfade lp's that I use at home on my laptop and they are my go to travel headphones. My 4 yr old loves them too lol. She used them last time on a plane to NY watching Lorax on my Nexus 7 tablet lol.

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #276 of 324
Got to mess with them today.  I didn't like the boomy sound, but the build quality was awesome.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #277 of 324
Quote:
 there is a strangely included set of earplugs.  I know... What?

They are probably the faders they were giving for free as the promotion for the first buyers. They are supposed to reduce noise in all frequencies, not just mids and highs, so sound is clearer than usual earplugs... I think... They sell them in the website, you can check.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #278 of 324
Quote:
Quote:
 there is a strangely included set of earplugs.  I know... What?

They are probably the faders they were giving for free as the promotion for the first buyers. They are supposed to reduce noise in all frequencies, not just mids and highs, so sound is clearer than usual earplugs... I think... They sell them in the website, you can check.

If they go in your ears, then yes it's probably the Faders and yes they're tuned earplugs so that the whole audio spectrum is decreased by a steady amount while still letting you hear everything fairly well versus the standard earplugs that block out all noise and leave you only hearing the bass if you go to a concert; yes that was a long sentence. XD

They were also giving away Bass Freq, or some sort of earphone, as well for their Christmas deal.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #279 of 324
listening to the m100 the whole day. they are good. but as far as sq goes i would say they are not worth more than about a 150. they have a pretty similar soundsignature to the beyer dt770 LE which are about 100 euros less, more comfy and even sturdier. only downside of the beyers might me the bulkyness compared to the m100. 

if you think of headphones like hd598, k701, dt880 and others, the vmodas are too expensive. you can get that much better sq from all of them. even the cheapo s500 is not that far from the m100 in soundquality and is also pretty portable and even more comfy.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #280 of 324
Quote:
listening to the m100 the whole day. they are good. but as far as sq goes i would say they are not worth more than about a 150. they have a pretty similar soundsignature to the beyer dt770 LE which are about 100 euros less, more comfy and even sturdier. only downside of the beyers might me the bulkyness compared to the m100. 

if you think of headphones like hd598, k701, dt880 and others, the vmodas are too expensive. you can get that much better sq from all of them. even the cheapo s500 is not that far from the m100 in soundquality and is also pretty portable and even more comfy.

Thanks for the info, I have the 770/80s and have been looking into these. I was worried the 770s would be tough to beat.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #281 of 324
Quote:

Compared next to each other, the K 701's bass response is almost anemic....but then again you're comparing a midrange-focused headphone to a bass-oriented headphone. XD
As a portable headphone I think the M-100 is well worth the price. It's the best portable headphone I've touched. Yes I've tried bringing the K 701 with me on the bus and to school and it was an utter failure. So if you're looking for a portable, closed-back headphone I think the M-100 does quite well for the price.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #284 of 324
Maaaaan. I was a huge part of pre-release threads and all of that, loved the idea for the non-fanboy thread because the other one was getting ridiculous, but I hadn't got around to trying the M-100 until today (financial issues took me away from Head-Fi for a bit).

Super disappointed. Bass monsters and nothing else. Muddy, even. I even sold my M-80 during my financial crisis because I figured the M-100 were a sure-fire buy. All they had to do was take that sound and get a little bit more out of it and give a circumaural can.

Meh. Probably won't even pick back up the M-80, either. I'm really glad to see a lot of you enjoying it though, honestly.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #285 of 324
Quote:
Maaaaan. I was a huge part of pre-release threads and all of that, loved the idea for the non-fanboy thread because the other one was getting ridiculous, but I hadn't got around to trying the M-100 until today (financial issues took me away from Head-Fi for a bit).

Super disappointed. Bass monsters and nothing else. Muddy, even. I even sold my M-80 during my financial crisis because I figured the M-100 were a sure-fire buy. All they had to do was take that sound and get a little bit more out of it and give a circumaural can.

Meh. Probably won't even pick back up the M-80, either. I'm really glad to see a lot of you enjoying it though, honestly.

Were you one of those people who was expecting an upgraded M-80? If so, I'm in the same boat as you and is the reason why I'm disappointed with the M-100's.

I am satisfied for the most part for what it is though since I was originally looking into a durable portable headphone because my SRH940 was (now is) dying at the time and its sound wasn't very enjoyable for mobile listening. For that purpose only I really like the M-100's. For home listening I prefer the AKG K 701 or SRH940 even though its fit is "meh" due to the flimsy broken headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back