V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 23, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #14,116 of 23,366
Black suede M100 with white stitching? Me gusta.
I think I would have been more turned on if the pads & shields were white (or stitch colour matching).

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #14,117 of 23,366

Mmk yeah the 1R sounded much better with the C5. The Sony Store didn't have the active noise cancelling version and I don't know how to pair-up a headphone via Bluetooth with an iPhone.
  1. The soundstage is still pretty congested compared to the M-100 and so the instrument separation wasn't too good.
  2. The midrange is forward, but not as forward as I remember it.
  3. The midrange is forward, yet it doesn't sound very clear to me. I sense a....*cough Sennheiser veil cough*
  4. What is this "Sennheiser veil"? Very warm-sounding without much treble, which leaves the midrange sounding thick and unclear (hence why I thought the treble reminded me of the UE6000 earlier)
  5. The M-100 has a more sparkly treble but the 1R has better extension
  6. The M-100's bass extends lower but the 1R has more punch which kind of bleeds into the lower-midrange, more so than the M-100
  7. The 1R's are SO comfortable to wear, I can't emphasise that enough.

I still think the M-100 would be a better overall headphone for $300.

I went to Starbucks and the [size=small]barista there complimented my M-100's.[/size]

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #14,119 of 23,366
Quote:

From the NY Head-Fi meet.

Cool pic, the matte blacks are mine.
L3000.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #14,120 of 23,366
Apr 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #14,122 of 23,366
Quote:

Curious, that, in the two weeks after this urgent tease, Mr. Kolton hasn't posted a followup.  That usually means he's up to something -- extended XL testing, haps-may?

What I find particularly pee-culiar is that no one who might have tested the pads has posted any results. 

To those who are considering the matte-black M-100s:  Buy them; I ogle mine.  The orange cable adds that slight shudder of color which should be enough for anyone who appreciates subtlety.

I have both black and orange shields; the black are customs, the orange, blank. The black is sleek and subliminal, the orange, strangely pleasing.

Be advised that the orange shields are a different shade than the cable. The dissimilarity in textures makes up for that.

Quote:
So, I never usually post on these forums... I'm more or less just lurking them every day but never contributing.  However, I felt this was necessary to add.  Like I said earlier, I returned my white silver M-100's for matte black m-100's.  Surprisingly enough, I've noticed some HUGE changes and I felt they were worth noting.  First off, may I just say switching to the matte black M-100's was the best decision I've made so far... these things are way nicer than the white silver (in my opinion)... and this is coming from someone who likes white EVERYTHING.  But moving on...

I was desperately needing the XL pads when I had the white silver pair.  I couldn't wear them for more than 20-30 minutes without extreme discomfort.  However, for some reason, these matte black m-100's seem to be vastly improved in the comfort department?!  I noticed that the headband has two lumps of extra cushioning to the left and right sides of the direct center of the headband (kind of near where your head starts to slope downwards) and my white silver M-100's never had these before.  Furthermore, I never even had to stretch out these matte black m-100's to reduce clamping pressure.  I stretched my white silver ones several times and while it did significantly reduce clamping pressure, there was still discomfort.  With these matte black m-100's, I've never stretched them once and out of the box they were much looser and far more comfortable.  Also, I feel like I don't even NEED the XL pads anymore.  I have big ears, and I probably will still get the XL pads, but I most certainly do not need them.  I've been wearing the M-100's since I got them in the mail about 5 hours ago and they've yet to come off my head for more than 5 seconds... I truly have little to no discomfort now.  Strangest thing ever, I don't know why I'm noticing all these changes but they are more than prominent so I felt I needed to finally contribute to this thread instead of just reading it all the time!  Let me know if anyone has experience anything similar...

- Matt

I really hate to come back to the comfort issues on this headphone , but VAL What's Up or Down .. With the XL Pads ? Are they still coming out ? whats the Stats of it ? seems that this issue is being swept under the carpet . Judging by Matts feedback , Did V Moda secretly modified the M-100 leaving the early owners "high and dry" ? maybe more user can varify this.

I can't really help but ........................... a bit disappointed here 
mad.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #14,123 of 23,366
Curious, that, in the two weeks after this urgent tease, Mr. Kolton hasn't posted a followup.  That usually means he's up to something -- extended XL testing, haps-may?

What I find particularly pee-culiar is that no one who might have tested the pads has posted any results. 

To those who are considering the matte-black M-100s:  Buy them; I ogle mine.  The orange cable adds that slight shudder of color which should be enough for anyone who appreciates subtlety.

I have both black and orange shields; the black are customs, the orange, blank. The black is sleek and subliminal, the orange, strangely pleasing.

Be advised that the orange shields are a different shade than the cable. The dissimilarity in textures makes up for that.

So, I never usually post on these forums... I'm more or less just lurking them every day but never contributing.  However, I felt this was necessary to add.  Like I said earlier, I returned my white silver M-100's for matte black m-100's.  Surprisingly enough, I've noticed some HUGE changes and I felt they were worth noting.  First off, may I just say switching to the matte black M-100's was the best decision I've made so far... these things are way nicer than the white silver (in my opinion)... and this is coming from someone who likes white EVERYTHING.  But moving on...

I was desperately needing the XL pads when I had the white silver pair.  I couldn't wear them for more than 20-30 minutes without extreme discomfort.  However, for some reason, these matte black m-100's seem to be vastly improved in the comfort department?!  I noticed that the headband has two lumps of extra cushioning to the left and right sides of the direct center of the headband (kind of near where your head starts to slope downwards) and my white silver M-100's never had these before.  Furthermore, I never even had to stretch out these matte black m-100's to reduce clamping pressure.  I stretched my white silver ones several times and while it did significantly reduce clamping pressure, there was still discomfort.  With these matte black m-100's, I've never stretched them once and out of the box they were much looser and far more comfortable.  Also, I feel like I don't even NEED the XL pads anymore.  I have big ears, and I probably will still get the XL pads, but I most certainly do not need them.  I've been wearing the M-100's since I got them in the mail about 5 hours ago and they've yet to come off my head for more than 5 seconds... I truly have little to no discomfort now.  Strangest thing ever, I don't know why I'm noticing all these changes but they are more than prominent so I felt I needed to finally contribute to this thread instead of just reading it all the time!  Let me know if anyone has experience anything similar...

- Matt

I really hate to come back to the comfort issues on this headphone , but VAL What's Up or Down .. With the XL Pads ? Are they still coming out ? whats the Stats of it ? seems that this issue is being swept under the carpet . Judging by Matts feedback , Did V Moda secretly modified the M-100 leaving the early owners "high and dry" ? maybe more user can varify this.

I can't really help but ........................... a bit disappointed here 
mad.gif

be patient!(i struggle with this too) val is doing what he can to design a completely new part for a headphone that already had pads designed around it! it takes time and testing do get it right! if you absolutely cant wait i would do the softee mod maby 50 or so pages back. you would get 2x the ear room.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #14,124 of 23,366
Yeah, I don't see Sennheiser offering to do anything with their ear pieces even though a lot of people felt that they were too small.  At least Val/V-MODA is trying to make everyone happy.  Have some patience and faith.  Don't get MAD, get GLAD!!!

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #14,125 of 23,366
Yeah, I don't see Sennheiser offering to do anything with their ear pieces even though a lot of people felt that they were too small.  At least Val/V-MODA is trying to make everyone happy.  Have some patience and faith.  Don't get MAD, get GLAD!!!
+1
and i would rather vmoda get it right the first time and take longer for them to release a product than rushing to make deadlines or compensate for "our" impatience.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #14,126 of 23,366

Mmk yeah the 1R sounded much better with the C5. The Sony Store didn't have the active noise cancelling version and I don't know how to pair-up a headphone via Bluetooth with an iPhone.
  • The soundstage is still pretty congested compared to the M-100 and so the instrument separation wasn't too good.
  • The midrange is forward, but not as forward as I remember it.
  • The midrange is forward, yet it doesn't sound very clear to me. I sense a....*cough Sennheiser veil cough*
  • What is this "Sennheiser veil"? Very warm-sounding without much treble, which leaves the midrange sounding thick and unclear (hence why I thought the treble reminded me of the UE6000 earlier)
  • The M-100 has a more sparkly treble but the 1R has better extension
  • The M-100's bass extends lower but the 1R has more punch which kind of bleeds into the lower-midrange, more so than the M-100
  • The 1R's are SO comfortable to wear, I can't emphasise that enough.

[rule]I went to Starbucks and the [size=small]barista there complimented my M-100's.[/size]

Hi Mice,

You did advise me about the M100 (Seventaiji on YouTube) and judging that we might have a bit of the same taste (I'm still waiting to get a pair, got two other babies to play with right now), maybe you did have this same impression of "artificial" sound coming from the MDR-1R.

Some people love them, I hate them. Did try, and it was a big disappointment. These cans are not worth 300$, only the comfort and materials are nice. The sound should price it at 50-60$.

For whoever is a bit Basshead but love clarity and natural sound (and want an alternative to the M100), I would advise you to not go for the MDR-1R.

Try the Fidelio L1 instead, all clear and vivid straight from the box. Have a nice bass potential IMO. Or if you want magic vocals and instruments, plus low fast bass with potential, and ready to get improved, T50RP. I will join the M100 community soon, but first of all let's rock this dude.

Hell, I don't even have an amp yet but EQing this is sick.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #14,127 of 23,366

• The soundstage is still pretty congested compared to the M-100 and so the instrument separation wasn't too good.
  • The midrange is forward, but not as forward as I remember it.
  • The midrange is forward, yet it doesn't sound very clear to me. I sense a....*cough Sennheiser veil cough*
  • What is this "Sennheiser veil"? Very warm-sounding without much treble, which leaves the midrange sounding thick and unclear (hence why I thought the treble reminded me of the UE6000 earlier)
  • The M-100 has a more sparkly treble but the 1R has better extension
  • The M-100's bass extends lower but the 1R has more punch which kind of bleeds into the lower-midrange, more so than the M-100
  • The 1R's are SO comfortable to wear, I can't emphasise that enough.

[rule]I went to Starbucks and the [size=small]barista there complimented my M-100's.[/size]

Hi Mice,

You did advise me about the M100 (Seventaiji on YouTube) and judging that we might have a bit of the same taste (I'm still waiting to get a pair, got two other babies to play with right now), maybe you did have this same impression of "artificial" sound coming from the MDR-1R.

Some people love them, I hate them. Did try, and it was a big disappointment. These cans are not worth 300$, only the comfort and materials are nice. The sound should price it at 50-60$.

For whoever is a bit Basshead but love clarity and natural sound (and want an alternative to the M100), I would advise you to not go for the MDR-1R.

Try the Fidelio L1 instead, all clear and vivid straight from the box. Have a nice bass potential IMO. Or if you want magic vocals and instruments, plus low fast bass with potential, and ready to get improved, T50RP. I will join the M100 community soon, but first of all let's rock this dude.

Hell, I don't even have an amp yet but EQing this is sick.

Yeah for sure. I'll definitely need to check out the L1's when I get the chance. I've heard a lot of good things about them, and they look quite nice too.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #14,128 of 23,366
+1
and i would rather vmoda get it right the first time and take longer for them to release a product than rushing to make deadlines or compensate for "our" impatience.

They did get it right the first time, as the pads are fine for most of us here except a handful. Nothing wrong with you all wanting the XL pads as I could use a pair myself. However, don't stop getting the M-100 because of it as you can use the softee mod mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back