V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 18, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #12,361 of 23,366
Quote:
Perhaps Craigster can chime in, not sure if the the SigDJs have the same range of motion, but Ultrasone's PRO 900 headphones fold up seemingly as small as the M-100, while also folding flat. 

Does anyone have experience with the Pro 900? It's in the same price range, and even looks a bit more comfy. I don't know a single thing about it other than quickly checking it out on the Ultrasone website. 

The Signature Pros and DJs will fold up like the M-100s too but that picture the cups are :-

1) turned inside out
2) length extended to the max
3) and purposefully compressed

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #12,362 of 23,366
Cool. So the M-100s fold up smaller. Just the folding flat bit is the only thing that's missing from the M-100s. Still neat that the Ultrasones fold up the way they do.

I did notice the cups were reversed, facing out rather than inward, which I assume might cause some scraching on the chromed surface of the Ultrasones, would it not? I've notced my Sun Orange shields on my M-100s are still flawless other than one scratch from when I dropped them; they looked like they just splat(ted?) on the ground, as the cups both released from the forks and looked like much more of a disaster on the floor than it actually was, and that small scratch was the only damaging result.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #12,363 of 23,366
Quote:
Perhaps Craigster can chime in, not sure if the the SigDJs have the same range of motion, but Ultrasone's PRO 900 headphones fold up seemingly as small as the M-100, while also folding flat. 

Does anyone have experience with the Pro 900? It's in the same price range, and even looks a bit more comfy. I don't know a single thing about it other than quickly checking it out on the Ultrasone website. 

Just speaking sonically, the Sig DJ and Pro 900 are very different animals.  IMO, anyone who is a big fan of the M-100 will absolutely love the Sig DJ.  In contrast, the Pro 900 has such harsh highs that they were unbearably fatiguing after about 5 minutes.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #12,364 of 23,366
Has anyone had a reply back from Val when PMing? I'm still waiting on an answer about UK availability as its approaching the 2 month mark and my Amazon Pre-order has being going stale for ages.

I know he said theres a 4-6 week back order on M-100's in his last post, but I presumed this was aimed at those wanting to order directly from V-Moda and the Worldwide issues were getting sorted out. I guess not....

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #12,366 of 23,366
Quote:
Has anyone had a reply back from Val when PMing? I'm still waiting on an answer about UK availability as its approaching the 2 month mark and my Amazon Pre-order has being going stale for ages.

I know he said theres a 4-6 week back order on M-100's in his last post, but I presumed this was aimed at those wanting to order directly from V-Moda and the Worldwide issues were getting sorted out. I guess not....

Occasionally he does, occasionally he doesn't. The official customer support would be on the v-moda.com. Although he's on head-fi giving updates and occasionally responding to customer requests it's more a value add that one shouldn't expect a dial-tone service here.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #12,367 of 23,366
I hope the DD/XL pads come out soon.  I love these headphones and even though the paper towel mod helps with the depth, I need them to be a little larger.  Please, Please release these soon.

Has anybody heard anything about these, does anybody know how much bigger/wider/deeper they are?

Thanks.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #12,368 of 23,366
Quote:
I hope the DD/XL pads come out soon.  I love these headphones and even though the paper towel mod helps with the depth, I need them to be a little larger.  Please, Please release these soon.

Has anybody heard anything about these, does anybody know how much bigger/wider/deeper they are?

Thanks.

Don't hold your breath on those. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #12,369 of 23,366
So my Digizoid ZO2 arrived today and it finally made me realise the bass on the M-100's is perfect as it is and I don't need any synthetic or emphasised bass from an amp (outside that which is apparent within the natural sound of an amp) so after a few hours of testing it out i've stuck it back up for sale and will be sticking with my E07K.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #12,370 of 23,366
Quote:

One of my former headphones, fairly comfortable but horribly artificial sounding i'll be sure to never purchase another ultrasone headphone again.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #12,371 of 23,366
Quote:

Don't hold your breath on those. 

Quote:

Occasionally he does, occasionally he doesn't. The official customer support would be on the v-moda.com. Although he's on head-fi giving updates and occasionally responding to customer requests it's more a value add that one shouldn't expect a dial-tone service here.

Call 1-888-VMODA-LA as well if need be or support at V-MODA.com

Quote:

We had issues with "importer of record" but they are in the Netherlands on their way!  It has been quite a journey.  V-MODA.com is shipping worldwide except parts of Asia.

DD PADS
Regarding DD cushions, our team is back from vacation and is on it this week.  But it will take some more time, I apologize but we have THREE new products launching in the coming weeks.  First we have to test, then once we lock and load we go to mass production. 

BOOMPRO
Launches in a few days, hopefully Thursday or next Tuesday.  We are finishing photography and copy now!

VAMP VERZA
Finished and launches soon, what a hard project.  It really has sapped my energy!  Here is a photo from the photo shoot today, its so cool to have the final product now!

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #12,372 of 23,366
Quote:
Hello!
I think you're missing two important things:
1: any headphone can play virtual surround, not just the decent (but not bargain) Turtle Beach and Mad Catz Tritton headsets. The Astro Mixamp you mentioned isn't just an "Xbox adapter" and "live chat mixer," it processes Dolby Headphone surround from any 5.1 or 7.1 optical audio source. The Turtle Beach DSS units (which can be bought individually) do the same thing, and so does the Tritton x720 processing box. Those all use Dolby headphone (though all have different amps & a few distinguishing features) to simulate surround, and the wireless units have Dolby Headphone processing (or similar) built-in. You can plug any headphone into those, and hear front, back, and sides all as clearly different directions.

2: there are many 3rd party mic options, so you don't need to buy a headset version to chat. One notable purpose-made example is the Antlion ModMic.

I use my Q701s (with an E12 amp), Recon3D USB processor, and cheap lapel mic all the time for great surround gaming superior to what you can get from Turtle Beach... It's like having a wall-hack, and my friends can hear me even though I speak only just above a whisper. If I was going to a LAN gaming event, I would use the unidirectional ModMic 3.0, and maybe one of my closed headphones. Works great for movie surround too!

I wrote an "article" covering various surround techs and included sample videos, check it out:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal#post_9067400

You make a really good point. There are definitely alternatives to getting a dedicated gaming headset, but I just wanted to point out that a dedicated gaming headset might be a better choice for certain people.

Yes, the $130 Astro Mixamp does provides surround sound functionality and the ability to adjust chat volume to ANY pair of headphones, and you can purchase an additional mic for any pair of headphones that have removable cables.

HOWEVER, you can get a very solid gaming headset for about that price that comes with those features included. For $134 on amazon, you can get a legit wireless surround sound gaming headset with mic like the Turtle beach earforce X42. $130 you get a wired 7.1 surround headset like the Tritton 720+. Basic wired stereo gaming headsets are usually under $100. Top of the line gaming headsets max out around $250-300, which I think is probably too much for dedicated gaming gear.

V-moda M100 ($310) + Astro Mixamp ($130) + Boom Mic (~$15-20) OR ModMic ($33) = ~$455-$470 
V-moda M100 ($310) + TB X42 or Tritton 720+ ($134) = ~$444

Basically, instead of getting an astro mixamp & mic cable, you can legit just buy a very nice gaming headset and use the money you saved on a better pair of portable headphones for music enjoyment. =P

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #12,373 of 23,366
Quote:
You make a really good point. There are definitely alternatives to getting a dedicated gaming headset, but I just wanted to point out that a dedicated gaming headset might be a better choice for certain people.

The $130 Astro Mixamp does provides surround sound functionality and the ability to adjust chat volume to ANY pair of headphones, and you can purchase an additional mic for any pair of headphones that have removable cables. HOWEVER you can get a very solid gaming headset for about that price that comes with those features included. For $134 on amazon, you can get a legit wireless surround sound gaming headset with mic like the Turtle beach earforce X42. $130 you get a wired 7.1 surround headset like the Tritton 720+. Basic wired stereo gaming headsets are usually under $100. Top of the line gaming headsets max out around $250-300, which I think is probably too much for dedicated gaming gear.

V-moda M100 ($310) + Astro Mixamp ($130) + Boom Mic (~$15-20) OR ModMic ($33) = ~$455-$470 
V-moda M100 ($310) + TB X42 or Tritton 720+ ($134) = ~$444

Basically, instead of getting an astro mixamp & mic cable, you can legit just buy a very nice gaming headset and use the money you saved on a better pair of portable headphones for music enjoyment. =P

A few reasons I made the boom mic:
1) it is nice to carry one or two headphones around (I usually use both on and over, but sometimes over and in), especially when you travel - you can play games, watch movies, have phone/video calls AND listen to music
2) lots of  games have good music now days, and every gaming headset I tested as an audio headphone was an absolute disaster in sound, who cares about "real" surround when it sounds bad and you can't make out the details
3) iPads, smartphones and tablets are increasingly used for gaming
4) the headphones w multiple drivers have an exponential chance for uneven sound quality due to QC of small drivers, let along big ones - the response curves are not pretty!
5) our boom's flex is nice and if you flex it down, you won't get any weird stares walking around with it
6) I feel our soundstage/sound balance is the best in the biz for a closed (or mostly-closed) headphone  
7-infinity) your reasons here...

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #12,374 of 23,366
Quote:

A few reasons I made the boom mic:
1) it is nice to carry one or two headphones around (I usually use both on and over, but sometimes over and in), especially when you travel - you can play games, watch movies, have phone/video calls AND listen to music
2) lots of  games have good music now days, and every gaming headset I tested as an audio headphone was an absolute disaster in sound, who cares about "real" surround when it sounds bad and you can't make out the details
3) iPads, smartphones and tablets are increasingly used for gaming
4) the headphones w multiple drivers have an exponential chance for uneven sound quality due to QC of small drivers, let along big ones - the response curves are not pretty!
5) our boom's flex is nice and if you flex it down, you won't get any weird stares walking around with it
6) I feel our soundstage/sound balance is the best in the biz for a closed (or mostly-closed) headphone  
7-infinity) your reasons here...

And many of us thank you for making it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back