V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #12,376 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
You make a really good point. There are definitely alternatives to getting a dedicated gaming headset, but I just wanted to point out that a dedicated gaming headset might be a better choice for certain people.

The $130 Astro Mixamp does provides surround sound functionality and the ability to adjust chat volume to ANY pair of headphones, and you can purchase an additional mic for any pair of headphones that have removable cables. HOWEVER you can get a very solid gaming headset for about that price that comes with those features included. For $134 on amazon, you can get a legit wireless surround sound gaming headset with mic like the Turtle beach earforce X42. $130 you get a wired 7.1 surround headset like the Tritton 720+. Basic wired stereo gaming headsets are usually under $100. Top of the line gaming headsets max out around $250-300, which I think is probably too much for dedicated gaming gear.

V-moda M100 ($310) + Astro Mixamp ($130) + Boom Mic (~$15-20) OR ModMic ($33) = ~$455-$470 
V-moda M100 ($310) + TB X42 or Tritton 720+ ($134) = ~$444

Basically, instead of getting an astro mixamp & mic cable, you can legit just buy a very nice gaming headset and use the money you saved on a better pair of portable headphones for music enjoyment. =P

A few reasons I made the boom mic:
1) it is nice to carry one or two headphones around (I usually use both on and over, but sometimes over and in), especially when you travel - you can play games, watch movies, have phone/video calls AND listen to music
2) lots of  games have good music now days, and every gaming headset I tested as an audio headphone was an absolute disaster in sound, who cares about "real" surround when it sounds bad and you can't make out the details
3) iPads, smartphones and tablets are increasingly used for gaming
4) the headphones w multiple drivers have an exponential chance for uneven sound quality due to QC of small drivers, let along big ones - the response curves are not pretty!
5) our boom's flex is nice and if you flex it down, you won't get any weird stares walking around with it
6) I feel our soundstage/sound balance is the best in the biz for a closed (or mostly-closed) headphone  
7-infinity) your reasons here...

Does the Boom Pro Mic 2 fit in the M-100's case? When I tried to fit it using the V-STRAPs they couldn't fit properly; from what I remember, the rather large volume dial piece didn't fit well in the already tightly packed case.

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #12,377 of 23,366
Quote:

1) it is nice to carry one or two headphones around (I usually use both on and over, but sometimes over and in), especially when you travel - you can play games, watch movies, have phone/video calls AND listen to music
2) lots of  games have good music now days, and every gaming headset I tested as an audio headphone was an absolute disaster in sound, who cares about "real" surround when it sounds bad and you can't make out the details
4) the headphones w multiple drivers have an exponential chance for uneven sound quality due to QC of small drivers, let along big ones - the response curves are not pretty!
5) our boom's flex is nice and if you flex it down, you won't get any weird stares walking around with it
6) I feel our soundstage/sound balance is the best in the biz for a closed (or mostly-closed) headphone  

I think the Boom Mic Pro is actually a really great idea!!! I hope that it has been extensively tested for during real gaming sessions and hopefully, it turns out to be a great product :)

I actually stumbled upon the V-Moda Crossfade M100 while looking to buy a gaming headset, and from my personal experience the sound quality of the V-moda M100 for music is definitely better than the top of the line Turtle Beach Earforce XP500.

Mr. Kolton, if you see this post, please please please don't forget the DD/XL earpads!!!!! My only gripe with these lovely headphones is the comfort issue, and if that could be resolved, I would be a really satisfied customer.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #12,379 of 23,366
Quote:
What is a DD cushion as aposed to the XL cushion?

I believe no difference, DD is just the name Val has given them, rather than XL, I assume it stands for Double Deep? 
size]

OH! I had a hilarious thought earlier for a shield design that I think I might go for in Gold, but not sure if the engraving team can/will invert the image for each shield. 

Not this exact image, but left/right ears. I think it would be hilarious in gold. So bling, but so lulz

EDIT: Post 666
size]
size]
size]

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #12,380 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

I think the Boom Mic Pro is actually a really great idea!!! I hope that it has been extensively tested for during real gaming sessions and hopefully, it turns out to be a great product :)

I actually stumbled upon the V-Moda Crossfade M100 while looking to buy a gaming headset, and from my personal experience the sound quality of the V-moda M100 for music is definitely better than the top of the line Turtle Beach Earforce XP500.

Mr. Kolton, if you see this post, please please please don't forget the DD/XL earpads!!!!! My only gripe with these lovely headphones is the comfort issue, and if that could be resolved, I would be a really satisfied customer.

Of course I only tried the XP300, but I have no doubts that the M-100 sounds superior to the XP500 for music. Actually, listening to the XP300, I really have to wonder what the gaming headphones are trying to accomplish because the XP300 sounded downright terrible for the price; though as money4me247 pointed out, there are other features that gaming headphones have such as a good microphone. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the M-100 as a gaming headphone/portable headphone even though its soundstage and detail retrieval aren't quite optimal, from my experience, for gaming.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #12,381 of 23,366
I mentioned it in a different thread, but the directional cues you get are generated by software, not by the response of the headphone. The 'phone will signal a little differently, but the main soundstaging takes place in the creation of the audio signal, I.E. binaural recording works on all headphones. Detail, w/e. EQ the mids and highs up if you are playing for serious. Otherwise enjoy the booms.

Edit to add: Most gaming headphones aren't worth the plastic they're made of. Multiple drivers is a gimmick. Any special sound software other than surround or true 3D soundscaping is silly. There are clip-on microphones. Just get something comfortable that sounds decent. Maybe the Sennheiser headsets are good. But then, they're not very portable. Or cool looking. Also open.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #12,382 of 23,366
I am on the fence on buying the m100's, I know there are better headphones in the market, is there any headphones that is stylish, portable, offers great sound, great low/bass, overall great sound and is in the 300 dollar price range? Should i get these or the denon ah-d600, or the sony mdr-1r? I am leaning towards the m100's but I am worried since I be making a big investment, I am not really an audiophile and the only other hifi type headphones I have is the ath- m50's. Plus I already picked out a design for my shields, I may go with matte black and some gold shields, white and shadow are not available until like 6-8 weeks. (also someone please persuade me in getting the m100 :wink: )

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #12,383 of 23,366
Quote:
I am on the fence on buying the m100's, I know there are better headphones in the market, is there any headphones that is stylish, portable, offers great sound, great low/bass, overall great sound and is in the 300 dollar price range? Should i get these or the denon ah-d600, or the sony mdr-1r? I am leaning towards the m100's but I am worried since I be making a big investment, I am not really an audiophile and the only other hifi type headphones I have is the ath- m50's. Plus I already picked out a design for my shields, I may go with matte black and some gold shields, white and shadow are not available until like 6-8 weeks. (also someone please persuade me in getting the m100 :wink: )

Hi there, welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!
rolleyes.gif

If you purchase the M-100's from one of V-MODA's authorised resellers, you get a 60-day test trial guarantee where if you don't like them, you can return them for a full refund. The MDR-1R isn't known for its deep bass, unlike the M-100, and the D600 is $100 more for a more fragile, less portable headphone [I don't even consider the D600 to be portable]. Also, the M-100 is probably the closest headphone to the M50 if you like their sound.

And plus you already picked a design for your custom, personalised shields. :D

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #12,384 of 23,366
Thanks Mice Blue! I know my wallet is crying already. I also saw your video on youtube, Nice Job at it! I believe the m100 would suit me the best. Since I want something portable and I always move around when I am listening to my music. I was wondering if anyone is willing to answer to a n00b, how does one become an audiophile? What are ones terminology? How do I develop an ear for it? Sorry If I am asking in a wrong thread lol. But I heard good things from people of the m100's and I have preference to bass heavy cans, so the m100 it is!

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #12,385 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks Mice Blue! I know my wallet is crying already. I also saw your video on youtube, Nice Job at it! I believe the m100 would suit me the best. Since I want something portable and I always move around when I am listening to my music. I was wondering if anyone is willing to answer to a n00b, how does one become an audiophile? What are ones terminology? How do I develop an ear for it? Sorry If I am asking in a wrong thread lol. But I heard good things from people of the m100's and I have preference to bass heavy cans, so the m100 it is!

Yeah this should probably be in a different thread, but making a new thread to ask these questions sounds kind of ridiculous, so might as well answer them here. XD

If you get the opportunity, going to a local Head-Fi meet is probably the best place to start. At this time of the year, I think a lot of people start organizing meets, and likewise for the summer. For instance, a few of the upcoming meets (the ones posted on Head-Fi's front/home page) will have the M-100's up to audition.

Audiophile really means:
-phile: love, or obsession
audio-: sound

More traditionally, audiophiles strive for audio perfection through audio equipment (transparent amplifier, transparent digital-to-analog converters, well-mastered tracks, neutral headphones, etc.). DigitalFreak gave a long explanation as to how much of the "audiophile" equipment sold nowadays isn't audiophile in the traditional sense.
As a more general term, audio enthusiast is probably a better choice of words for most people: buying gear that sounds good to them, but not necessarily audio perfection (the M-100 is a coloured headphone for example, but it sounds good).

As for terminology...that takes some time to learn. I've tried to stick to the terminology described here:
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary
and although the frequency spectrum "divisions" are kind of ambiguous, I try to stick to the ones here: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

For most people, being an audio enthusiast means taking a lot of time to enjoy the sounds they hear in music and it varies from person to person.
My story anyhow:
I was originally searching for some headphones after my Skullcandy Hesh's headband snapped (yes you heard that right, Skullcandy Hesh) and I was about to go for some Beats Studios due to the high popularity. After looking-up reviews for it on Amazon, a lot of people had other suggestions such as the Audio Technica ATH-M50. Long story short, I discovered Head-Fi, started browsing more headphone choices, ended up getting my first $100+ headphone (Shure SRH940), fell in love with them and found out that there is so much to discover in my music, and now I'm on my way to learning more about DACs, amps, and the sound science behind all of this stuff.

As I said, sorry about your wallet because this hobby can get quite addictive and expensive. XD

That's my two cents. :D

Sorry for the big derailment of the thread.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #12,386 of 23,366
well since the thread is a bit off already, I don't feel so bad to ask this.  You know that feeling when you get something and you like it, but than you wonder if you got the other one would it be better? haha well,

My other choiceS I was looking at were the HD 650 and the AKG k550.  I've never worn the HD 650 or heard them, but they have had left mark in the audiophile industry for over ears.  I am using the Hisound 3rd Anniv Dap, so I feel that I could possibly drive those headphones maybe.  I like the sound of the m-100, but its not as comfortable as I thought it would be, and I think these headphones are beastly for electronica/technica, but I listen to majority hip hop.  The vocals don't come out at me as I wanted.  I feel the bass drowns out the vocals just a tad.
I was listening to the akg k550 at best buy today, and wow they sound really good with Dap.  It has good clarity, and the vocals are crystal clear, which I wanted.  They are incredibly comfortable as well, but I also think its powered up by an amp in the setup they have.  

How would yall say the sennheiser hd650/akg k550 fare with the m-100.  I most likely will keep the m-100 because of the portability anyway, but for home listening I want something more clear.  Any input would be appreciated :) 

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #12,387 of 23,366
Val, appreciate the response! Looking forward to Amazon UK sending my dispatched email! :-D

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #12,388 of 23,366
Quote:
well since the thread is a bit off already, I don't feel so bad to ask this.  You know that feeling when you get something and you like it, but than you wonder if you got the other one would it be better? haha well,

My other choiceS I was looking at were the HD 650 and the AKG k550.  I've never worn the HD 650 or heard them, but they have had left mark in the audiophile industry for over ears.  I am using the Hisound 3rd Anniv Dap, so I feel that I could possibly drive those headphones maybe.  I like the sound of the m-100, but its not as comfortable as I thought it would be, and I think these headphones are beastly for electronica/technica, but I listen to majority hip hop.  The vocals don't come out at me as I wanted.  I feel the bass drowns out the vocals just a tad.
I was listening to the akg k550 at best buy today, and wow they sound really good with Dap.  It has good clarity, and the vocals are crystal clear, which I wanted.  They are incredibly comfortable as well, but I also think its powered up by an amp in the setup they have.  

How would yall say the sennheiser hd650/akg k550 fare with the m-100.  I most likely will keep the m-100 because of the portability anyway, but for home listening I want something more clear.  Any input would be appreciated :) 

From my experience, the HD650 has more warmth than the M-100 and the overall sound signature is very fluid/smooth and relaxing. It's a headphone I wouldn't mind just tuning out to, but for more serious listening I would prefer something with a little more resolution (K 701 or DT880). The M-100 is quicker, has more sparkle, and a heavier-hitting bass so it's more fun and energetic in that sense (inverted J-shaped sound signature).

I didn't really get to listen to the K550 a whole lot, but from what I can recall, it was similar to the SRH940 in a sense. The midrange is much clearer and forward, the bass isn't nearly as prominent and chest-thumping as the M-100, and the treble is better extended and has more detail than the M-100, but a bit artificial-sounding.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #12,389 of 23,366
Quote:

Call 1-888-VMODA-LA as well if need be or support at V-MODA.com

We had issues with "importer of record" but they are in the Netherlands on their way!  It has been quite a journey.  V-MODA.com is shipping worldwide except parts of Asia.

DD PADS
Regarding DD cushions, our team is back from vacation and is on it this week.  But it will take some more time, I apologize but we have THREE new products launching in the coming weeks.  First we have to test, then once we lock and load we go to mass production. 

BOOMPRO
Launches in a few days, hopefully Thursday or next Tuesday.  We are finishing photography and copy now!

VAMP VERZA
Finished and launches soon, what a hard project.  It really has sapped my energy!  Here is a photo from the photo shoot today, its so cool to have the final product now!

Holy scheisse!  THREE new products, only two of which I think we know for sure of (VAMP Verza, Boom Mic Pro), definitely sounds extremely promising, and quite a toll on your interactive time here.

...I know it's definitely not the Revolver (as much as I want to see a hint of the god darn blasted thing), so maybe the Milano(unfortunately nearly as UNlikely)?  Or new Apple cables in brighter colors?  Another IEM release?  More shield colors/grey etching option?  Give me something to work with, man.  My mind rebels at stagnation.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #12,390 of 23,366
Quote:

Since you have a passion and appreciation for superior sound and are striving for the best sound possible, congratulations.....you have become an audiophile!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back