V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #12,346 of 23,366
Yep I find vocal presentation on the M100s to generally be very good.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #12,347 of 23,366
Quote:
hey, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the boom pro mic is actually available to be purchased yet.

I did read on an amazon review that someone was very satisfied using their M100 w/ an astro mixamp playing Halo Reach.

However, if you are actually a professional gamer on a team playing a fps, I would think that you would want a headset from Turtle beach or Tritton with surround sound to better visualize where gunshots are coming from. gaming specific headsets also has niffy features like boosting footsteps and adjusting mic volumes & stuff like that. I think that if you are playing in tournaments or making a living by gaming then you would need a gaming specific headset especially for team-based first person shooters when you are doing call outs & need to be able to know the exact location of sounds.

Otherwise, the m100 would be fine for playing halo/cod without disturbing your neighbors. Of course, you would need to buy something like the astro mixamp in addition.

Quote:
Hypothetically, if/when V-moda does release the Boom Mic Pro & it works well, I can see the V-moda M100 being one of the top choices for people looking for a great portable pair of headphones that you use with your mixamp for gaming as well. Or you could always take the V-moda Boom Mic Pro and use it with another pair of preferred headphones lol

Any headphone when paired with a proper Dolby Headphone source will be able to provide full 5.1 surround sound and the Astro Mix-Amp is great for that, as well as adjusting the mix between game and teammate audio.  The better the headphone's soundstage (typically) the better the surround experience will be.  Once the boom mic is available to the public I think the M-100s are good gaming headphones for most people.

As far as gaming headphones vs. the M-100 there are a few things to keep in mind.  Most pros actually don't use the multi-speaker 5.1/7.1 setups.  When you try and cram a bunch of tiny speakers into a really small can they are going to underperform and ultimately all of that sound is going to be processed by two ears which you have complete control over to simulate speaker placement.  The only place the M-100 will be lacking is in the sparkly treble that can help pull footsteps out of background noise.  That is a trade-off though, since that same emphasis on a sparkly treble makes them very poor for anything else.  In general though, I would say that most gaming headphones focus on a lot of things other than their sound quality.  If you are looking for a solid gaming headset that also performs well in other places then I think there are better options out there (Sennheiser's open backed cans come to mind), but if you're looking for a great portable music headphone that can also do gaming then the M-100s are a good choice.

Quote:
I have a friend who is uber intense/competitive with Halo who has an 27" TV specifically for the game b/c it is supposed to be the perfect size for aiming. So if that describes you, get a gaming headset.

Most folks play on small TV's because if they are going to go to an MLG event then they will end up on a 23" computer monitor (split screen for the first few rounds).  I for one like sitting back in my leather recliner in front of a 118" screen -- I find it easier to aim when the other guys head is the size of an MLG screen :)

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #12,348 of 23,366
Quote:
havent read the previous 800 pages of post but saw a short review on innerfidelity and the frequency response graph of the m-100.

the dip in treble from 5 to 7 kHz probably means poor female vocals and poor high pitch sound from string instruments.

perhaps someone who owns the m-100 can confirm my speculation? :)

Are you checking Tyll's graphs? If so that 5 - 7kHz dip is very unreliable as it shows up in many of his measurements and I'd say is more down to a pattern of the measurement setup than a problem with the headphone (in reality it's probably not as bad as it looks there). Tyll himself says up to around 2.5kHz the graph is very reliable, after that it starts to become less accurate and it again becomes accurate around the 8~12kHz range or so. (this was commented in an article by himself sometimes)

For female vocals and guitars I found especially ~2kHz area important if you want more "edgy" vivid vocals, many headphones purposedly seems to have about 3~5dB bump around that area, anything more though and it becomes too much. M100 also have that and that's what M100 actually handles great relatively speaking, I mean female vocals, guitars etc. For male vocals 500 - 1kHz seems to be important to give it that meatiness fullbodied presence, the M100 has a bit dip there so it doesn't give that ideal fullbodied male vocals like M80.

Would be cool to see some goldenears measurements, they tend to have less fluctuations in the 2.5kHz+ range and there you can actually compare the graphs as is against the other headphones on that site pretty accurately while with Tyll's you have to have in your mind the plausible lower-highs range fluctuations that they aren't probably accurate.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #12,349 of 23,366
The M100 is actually pretty good with female vocals. It doesn't have air behind the vocal, or lift, but it does get the energy and sweetness of the vocal really nicely. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #12,350 of 23,366
As previously aforementioned, female vocals sound fine with the M-100's; it's one of the reasons why I like it. I still find the midrange as a whole to be laid-back in comparison to the bass and sparkle (any of Beth Orton's tracks sound like this), but female vocals have a good presence and timbre nonetheless.

I don't want to start anything, but I noticed a huge flux of reviews for the M-100 on Amazon, many of them being the typical "lame" 1-sentence 5-star reviews just for artificially boosting the star rating. Kind of takes the point away from a product review in my honest opinion; instead of writing an actual review, a positive sentence plus a 5 star rating. On the topic of the hottest news of Beats, were Beats users to do the same, I'm sure the Studio's would have an even higher rating than they already have due to the sheer number of dedicated fans/fanboys (5 million+ likes on Facebook, though that really doesn't mean anything).

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #12,352 of 23,366
Quote:
As previously aforementioned, female vocals sound fine with the M-100's; it's one of the reasons why I like it. I still find the midrange as a whole to be laid-back in comparison to the bass and sparkle (any of Beth Orton's tracks sound like this), but female vocals have a good presence and timbre nonetheless.

I don't want to start anything, but I noticed a huge flux of reviews for the M-100 on Amazon, many of them being the typical "lame" 1-sentence 5-star reviews just for artificially boosting the star rating. Kind of takes the point away from a product review in my honest opinion; instead of writing an actual review, a positive sentence plus a 5 star rating. On the topic of the hottest news of Beats, were Beats users to do the same, I'm sure the Studio's would have an even higher rating than they already have due to the sheer number of dedicated fans/fanboys (5 million+ likes on Facebook, though that really doesn't mean anything).

V-Moda was asking for reviews on Amazon.com with 5 stars on Facebook. I tried to make one that explained exactly what I thought without smoke and mirrors.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #12,353 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

V-Moda was asking for reviews on Amazon.com with 5 stars on Facebook. I tried to make one that explained exactly what I thought without smoke and mirrors.

Ah I see. I suppose it boosts their popularity and image, at least on Amazon.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #12,354 of 23,366
Quote:
While a lot of you guys might be trolling about the beats, I did compare the Beats Studio with the M100 side-by-side, and honestly the difference was not as pronounced as I would have imagined it with people hating on the beats all the time. My ears had an extremely hard time picking out any differences in sonic quality using 320kbps mp3s without an amp.

Now, the Beats build quality/materials is obviously inferior to the v-moda M100, but the beats were actually much much more comfortable than the M100s with adjustable, deeper earcups and softer lining over the drivers. I really do think that for people without access to lossless audio, amps, or have been "trained" to listen for the sonic nuances, I really think it's very difficult to hear these differences that I read about on this website.

If you guys would like to enlighten me what to listen for specifically or why the beats are so bad, I would love to hear about your personal opinions. I guess I was expecting for the differences in headphone sound quality to be very easily distinguishable, but I really have a lot of trouble hearing why the beats are terrible. I can see that the beats are a ripoff due to cheap materials and high price, but I am really curious why it's sound is so loathed.

I think something that would be helpful for me is if you could reference specific sections of certain songs and say what the beats are doing wrong and the m100 is doing right.

I honestly think the V-Moda M100 is very similar in sound to the Beats, except just more capable overall.  In my opinion, the main differences lie in the V-Moda's having better soundstage/separation, less distorted/better layered bass and just overall less congested sounding.  Beats are more comfortable though, for sure.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #12,355 of 23,366
hey, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the boom pro mic is actually available to be purchased yet.

I did read on an amazon review that someone was very satisfied using their M100 w/ an astro mixamp playing Halo Reach.

However, if you are actually a professional gamer on a team playing a fps, I would think that you would want a headset from Turtle beach or Tritton with surround sound to better visualize where gunshots are coming from. gaming specific headsets also has niffy features like boosting footsteps and adjusting mic volumes & stuff like that. I think that if you are playing in tournaments or making a living by gaming then you would need a gaming specific headset especially for team-based first person shooters when you are doing call outs & need to be able to know the exact location of sounds.

Otherwise, the m100 would be fine for playing halo/cod without disturbing your neighbors. Of course, you would need to buy something like the astro mixamp in addition.

Hello!
I think you're missing two important things:
1: any headphone can play virtual surround, not just the decent (but not bargain) Turtle Beach and Mad Catz Tritton headsets. The Astro Mixamp you mentioned isn't just an "Xbox adapter" and "live chat mixer," it processes Dolby Headphone surround from any 5.1 or 7.1 optical audio source. The Turtle Beach DSS units (which can be bought individually) do the same thing, and so does the Tritton x720 processing box. Those all use Dolby headphone (though all have different amps & a few distinguishing features) to simulate surround, and the wireless units have Dolby Headphone processing (or similar) built-in. You can plug any headphone into those, and hear front, back, and sides all as clearly different directions.

2: there are many 3rd party mic options, so you don't need to buy a headset version to chat. One notable purpose-made example is the Antlion ModMic.

I use my Q701s (with an E12 amp), Recon3D USB processor, and cheap lapel mic all the time for great surround gaming superior to what you can get from Turtle Beach... It's like having a wall-hack, and my friends can hear me even though I speak only just above a whisper. If I was going to a LAN gaming event, I would use the unidirectional ModMic 3.0, and maybe one of my closed headphones. Works great for movie surround too!

I wrote an "article" covering various surround techs and included sample videos, check it out:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal#post_9067400

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #12,356 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Hello!
I think you're missing two important things:
1: any headphone can play virtual surround, not just the decent (but not bargain) Turtle Beach and Mad Catz Tritton headsets. The Astro Mixamp you mentioned isn't just an "Xbox adapter" and "live chat mixer," it processes Dolby Headphone surround from any 5.1 or 7.1 optical audio source. The Turtle Beach DSS units (which can be bought individually) do the same thing, and so does the Tritton x720 processing box. Those all use Dolby headphone (though all have different amps & a few distinguishing features) to simulate surround, and the wireless units have Dolby Headphone processing (or similar) built-in. You can plug any headphone into those, and hear front, back, and sides all as clearly different directions.

2: there are many 3rd party mic options, so you don't need to buy a headset version to chat. One notable purpose-made example is the Antlion ModMic.

I use my Q701s (with an E12 amp), Recon3D USB processor, and cheap lapel mic all the time for great surround gaming superior to what you can get from Turtle Beach... It's like having a wall-hack, and my friends can hear me even though I speak only just above a whisper. If I was going to a LAN gaming event, I would use the unidirectional ModMic 3.0, and maybe one of my closed headphones. Works great for movie surround too!

I wrote an "article" covering various surround techs and included sample videos, check it out:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal#post_9067400

Sounds similar to Mad Lust Envy's K 701 experience, hahaha.
Quote:
In fact, I felt like god had given me the secret to just out right smite my enemies with the hammer of justice. The K701 to me, is pure, unadulterated, SMACKDOWN inducing OWNAGE. The very first time I used them (Modern Warfare 2), I went 2 straight 25-0 games in Free For All. I mean, holy smokes. The K701 was like wearing x-ray vision goggles for my ears.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #12,357 of 23,366
Sounds similar to Mad Lust Envy's K 701 experience, hahaha.
Mad being... Mad, lol. <3 him!

Yeah, it's helpful while rushing or sniping (guy around the corner? Someone coming up on you while scoped?), especially in CoD4, MW2, CoD:BO (not so much in MW3), and all the Halos. I WRECK in Reach's SWAT mode, my first few games felt slightly ridonkulous as I heard people run by and I'd get the assassination. It's like... a more instantaneous Motion Tracker. And, my Recon3D USB also plugs into the computer, where Creative's software can place sounds all around you AND above and below... I'd love to play a space flight-sim and a horror game that can really take advantage of that!

I'm surprised V-MODA hasn't widely released the Boom mic yet, though the magnetic-detachable AntLion Modmics are a convenient option. Wasn't V-MODA talking with GameStop to get their headphones into those stores?

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #12,358 of 23,366
Perhaps Craigster can chime in, not sure if the the SigDJs have the same range of motion, but Ultrasone's PRO 900 headphones fold up seemingly as small as the M-100, while also folding flat. 

Does anyone have experience with the Pro 900? It's in the same price range, and even looks a bit more comfy. I don't know a single thing about it other than quickly checking it out on the Ultrasone website. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #12,359 of 23,366
Quote:
Perhaps Craigster can chime in, not sure if the the SigDJs have the same range of motion, but Ultrasone's PRO 900 headphones fold up seemingly as small as the M-100, while also folding flat. 

Does anyone have experience with the Pro 900? It's in the same price range, and even looks a bit more comfy. I don't know a single thing about it other than quickly checking it out on the Ultrasone website. 

I've never actually tried folding-up the PRO900's. They do lie flat however, which the M-100's do not.

There's really no comparison between the PRO900's and the M-100's; the M-100 destroy the PRO900 in every way possible except for bass punch from my experience (I even found the M-100's more comfortable surprisingly enough). I literally could NOT listen to the PRO900 for more than 1 minute because it was so harsh and sibilant (I couldn't even enjoy Lindsey Stirling :'( ). The PRO900's earpads were really large for my head...similar to the HD800 (my face is being swallowed by the velour earpads!).

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #12,360 of 23,366
Ah right on, that's what I figured. I'm just wondering if there's any other can in the $300 range I might potentially want other than the MadDogs and AD900X.

Still I'm not really looking for another headphone in the forseeable future, was just interested in how the Pro900 compared, and it's good to know the M-100s have the upper hand. Keeps me reminded that I've got a solid set of headphones and makes saving for an HD650 and other various components for my home audio rig that much easier. 

Go M-100, Go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back