V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 28, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #9,796 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks - do you know if that applies to the M-100s or just older products? If I order M-100s today, how long would it take for them to ship out? Also anyone know when they'll be available on Amazon?

I ordered on the 24th (from the V-Moda site) and if I remember rightly, it said "shipping in 4-10 days" then.

It was updated to "awaiting shipment" yesterday if that helps you get an ETA  :)
Mind you, I should point out I haven't ordered any engraving on my shields, so it's a simple pack n' post order...

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #9,797 of 23,366
Currently it is up for preorder, so the moment it ships it'll go out, but for now it's up to waiting for everything to be prepared. Luckily, Val has frequently commented that production schedules are right on track (as opposed to the first first batch which was quite the wait), so you'll be seeing them ship in the next few weeks in time for Christmas in theory.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #9,798 of 23,366
Quote:
It was updated to "awaiting shipment" yesterday if that helps you get an ETA  :)

Unfortunately that does not say anything about availability: the status 'awaiting shipment' is obviously set as soon as your credit card is charged. My order was in that state for about 3 weeks (before I finally cancelled it)...

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #9,799 of 23,366
Thanks - do you know if that applies to the M-100s or just older products? If I order M-100s today, how long would it take for them to ship out? Also anyone know when they'll be available on Amazon?

I ordered on the 24th (from the V-Moda site) and if I remember rightly, it said "shipping in 4-10 days" then.

Mind you, I should point out I haven't ordered any engraving on my shields, so it's a simple pack n' post order...

You were close, I just took a look and it says 14 days which was in line with earlier estimates of 60 days way back when 

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #9,800 of 23,366
Nov 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #9,801 of 23,366
Quote:
[size=10pt]Hey Apo0th3karY – I’ve got both the Mad Dogs and M-100’s coming my way so I’ll try and do a sound comparison when they arrive.[/size]

[size=10pt]Given the size and impedance of the Mad Dogs I purchased these for home studio use (running off an amp) with M-100s intended as a portable casual listening hp. Without having heard them I’m counting on their sound signatures being quite different. Why have two cans that sound the same? The MDs use a different driver type (orthodynamic) and from what I understand are more balanced and… dare I say it … closer to a true audiophile sound signature so would be better for use as a monitor hp for mastering.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I hear you about their look - the Fostex cans have a clunky 90's Japanese aesthetic to them. Put it this way, I wont be wearing these babies on public transport but I'm more excited about getting them then the M-100's[/size][/size]

You've made a good point about the Mad Dogs impedance. Whilst I do agree with Gelocks that the Mad Dogs are probably somewhat more genre independent and somewhat more refined sounding than the M-100 even but at least for me to enjoy the Mad Dogs I "need" a powerful amp. There was no way I could drive the Mad Dogs decently straight out of the iPhone so even though it's cheaper than the M-100, I personally feel one needs to further invest in a decent amp to make the headphone enjoyable - sample portable amps would be like the Apex Glacier, SR-71B, Rx Mk3, etc. The VAmp or Go-DAP (X and 4.0) didn't cut it.

I found the Mad Dogs bulky too so it seems you have the right idea having the Mad Dogs at home and the M-100 for portable/outdoor use.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #9,802 of 23,366
How do these fair with rock and metal? I'm trying to replace my Shure 530s and step away from IEMs for a little bit.  All I've heard so far really is that the bass is huge, but doesn't overpower the other frequencies.  

So what is the curve like?  Is it a V?  A strong or shallow V?  etc 

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #9,803 of 23,366
Quote:
How do these fair with rock and metal? I'm trying to replace my Shure 530s and step away from IEMs for a little bit.  All I've heard so far really is that the bass is huge, but doesn't overpower the other frequencies.  

The term that's all the rage for the M-100 right now is a reverse J shape. Some rock and metal are great, others aren't.

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #9,804 of 23,366
Quote:

I coined the term mirrored J-shape for the sound signature. Most other people have called it a U-shape since there is an emphasis on the bass and the upper-mids/lower-treble from my experience.
Bass lower-midrange upper-midrange lower-treble upper-treble
Long part of the J tail = Bass
Lower part of the J = lower-midrange
First part of the J = upper-midrange lower-treble
First part of the J doesn't extend to the top to make a U-shape (upper-part of the "tail" is non-existant) = upper-treble

Depending on your tastes, rock and metal may sound good with the M-100's. For a fun, enjoyable listening experience, I do like rock and metal through the M-100's (symphonic metal Nightwish sounds great for a fun listening experience, though the cymbals kind of disappear). For a more accurate listening experience, I wouldn't recommend the M-100's as rock and metal are not its strongest genres because of the emphasised bass and quiet upper-treble (cymbal crashes don't sound very lively for example).

Coming from the SE530's you might immediately notice the boosted bass response of the M-10, the laid-back lower-midrange, and more sparkly highs.
(M-100 is the lighter curve)

*Darn Retina Display...I had to scale those screenshots since the image resolution was greater than the allowed amount. XD

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #9,806 of 23,366
Nov 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #9,807 of 23,366
Okay sweet, thanks for the info everybody.

Of the two, DT1350, and MadDog, although both are much more neutral than the M-100, which have the most comparable bass to the M-100? in terms of forwardness?

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #9,808 of 23,366
Quote:
[size=10pt]Hey Apo0th3karY – I’ve got both the Mad Dogs and M-100’s coming my way so I’ll try and do a sound comparison when they arrive.[/size]

[size=10pt]Given the size and impedance of the Mad Dogs I purchased these for home studio use (running off an amp) with M-100s intended as a portable casual listening hp. Without having heard them I’m counting on their sound signatures being quite different. Why have two cans that sound the same? The MDs use a different driver type (orthodynamic) and from what I understand are more balanced and… dare I say it … closer to a true audiophile sound signature so would be better for use as a monitor hp for mastering.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I hear you about their look - the Fostex cans have a clunky 90's Japanese aesthetic to them. Put it this way, I wont be wearing these babies on public transport but I'm more excited about getting them then the M-100's[/size][/size]

My point exactly.

As much as I'm ecited for my M-100s to come, I'm just as excited for a next set, and the MadDogs for some reason just have that appeal for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back